Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transcons, and any danger of routing via SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Transcons, and any danger of routing via SFO?

I am planning a trip to NY at the end of March. On my dates, I cannot find a single C seat LAX-JFK, but I can find plenty of A seats to SFO on the 763s. I actually like the idea of F on a 763 better than J on a 762, but I'm a little concerned about a SFO connection.

Is there anyone here who chooses that route? My biggest concern, obviously, is a weather delay that would cause me to miss my flight to JFK. Should that happen, would AA reroute me directly out of LAX? What if no J seats are available, only F, would they give me one, or would they tell me no dice because it's a weather delay and they aren't really obligated to get me into a premium cabin until there is room on my original route?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
My biggest concern, obviously, is a weather delay that would cause me to miss my flight to JFK. Should that happen, would AA reroute me directly out of LAX?
They'd reroute you on whatever flight(s) get you there. There are probably more seats per day connecting somewhere such as LAX-DFW-JFK than nonstop LAX-JFK. So I think the chances are greater for a connection.

For sure AA doesn't care even slightly about putting you on a specific type of aircraft during a reroute. If you have F on a 763, and they put you in F on any other 2-class plane, they see it as equivalent. I think the chances of getting F on the 762 (due to a weather reroute) are remote.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:50 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am planning a trip to NY at the end of March. On my dates, I cannot find a single C seat LAX-JFK, but I can find plenty of A seats to SFO on the 763s. I actually like the idea of F on a 763 better than J on a 762, but I'm a little concerned about a SFO connection.

Is there anyone here who chooses that route? My biggest concern, obviously, is a weather delay that would cause me to miss my flight to JFK. Should that happen, would AA reroute me directly out of LAX? What if no J seats are available, only F, would they give me one, or would they tell me no dice because it's a weather delay and they aren't really obligated to get me into a premium cabin until there is room on my original route?
I would not be worried about SFO. If you ar that concerned, why not route via MIA?

If things did go worng AA would do their best to get you into J, or F on a 2-class aircraft. But if may not be on the next flight if the inventory is not there. If you pressed the issue about going immediately, you'd be downgraded back to Y, not upgraded to F.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
I would not be worried about SFO. If you ar that concerned, why not route via MIA?

If things did go worng AA would do their best to get you into J, or F on a 2-class aircraft. But if may not be on the next flight if the inventory is not there. If you pressed the issue about going immediately, you'd be downgraded back to Y, not upgraded to F.
Ok, I'm a complete dunderhead, not thinking about connections in MIA even after suggesting one to a poster going from CDG to SAN a few days ago .
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:15 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The only 'negative' about SFO is their wonderfully large & elegant Admirals Club (when compare to LAX). I think I heard someplace that the SFO club had resolved some of its 'bug' issues reported here some time ago ..

Since we are trying for strange routings .. LAX-FLL-NYC or LAX-SJU-JFK or LAX-SEA-JFK or for that matter LAX-LHR-JFK (tho that might be a tad longer).

I recall both LAX and SFO have premium TSA lines so that is not a huge consideration (oops as a connection not major plus). Both locations offer pretty poor food on the concourse itself . but OP is flying upgraded so not an issue.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
Since we are trying for strange routings .. LAX-FLL-NYC or LAX-SJU-JFK or LAX-SEA-JFK or for that matter LAX-LHR-JFK (tho that might be a tad longer).
I appreciate the creativity, but the whole point of the creative routing was to be in a premium cabin on a widebody aircraft for the longest percentage of the flight. If that's not available, I'd just go to EWR or via BOS, or ORD on that morning 763. However, w/o any C inventory on the LAX-JFK flights, the only ways to do that are via MIA or SFO. The SJU, while clever, involves a redeye, which I don't do.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I appreciate the creativity, but the whole point of the creative routing was to be in a premium cabin on a widebody aircraft for the longest percentage of the flight. If that's not available, I'd just go to EWR or via BOS, or ORD on that morning 763. However, w/o any C inventory on the LAX-JFK flights, the only ways to do that are via MIA or SFO. The SJU, while clever, involves a redeye, which I don't do.
I'd be a litte worried about the connection LAX-SFO-JFK, since the short hops are the ones they like to delay when there are ATC probs in SFO. I wouldn't worry so much about it coming back the other way. Why don't you just schedule a longer layover in SFO - the executive center there is very quiet, and it's ideal for working during a layover.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Why would you want to add extra time and inconvenience to your journey?
First, you have the issue of getting to the AE terminal in LA. Then, you have to spend time flying up the coast, and waiting for the connecting flight. Then you have to deal with connections. Is it really worth increasing your travel time by 50 pecent or more?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would you want to add extra time and inconvenience to your journey?
On my dates, I cannot find a single C seat LAX-JFK, but I can find plenty of A seats to SFO on the 763s.
Why? Good upgrade potential vs poor upgrade potential. Makes sense to me.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
First, you have the issue of getting to the AE terminal in LA. Then, you have to spend time flying up the coast, and waiting for the connecting flight.
Since when did Eagle fly MD80s?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by stratofortress
I'd be a litte worried about the connection LAX-SFO-JFK, since the short hops are the ones they like to delay when there are ATC probs in SFO. I wouldn't worry so much about it coming back the other way. Why don't you just schedule a longer layover in SFO - the executive center there is very quiet, and it's ideal for working during a layover.
Exaclty. Why all the drama on the possiblity of missing a connection in SFO? Just sched a longer layover. Much less strees than worrying so much about a "possbile" reroute that odds say won't happen anyway.

I could understand the stress on getting a good seat on a 15 hour run to Asia, but for a 5 hour hop across the country, not worth it..to me at least.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by grahampros
Much less strees than worrying so much about a "possbile" reroute that odds say won't happen anyway.
Of course, instant fog + reroute to SMF apparently can happen randomly.

Why not take the proactive approach... look at weather in SFO, and take an earlier flight if it's bad (which I did when we apparently were on the same delayed LAX-SFO flight)
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JGR01
The only 'negative' about SFO is their wonderfully large & elegant Admirals Club (when compare to LAX).
Have you tried the business center there? I was in there on my way to London on Wednesday and there was only one other person there, and peacefully quiet.

Tom in London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.