What happens if I misconnect at LHR?

Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

What happens if I misconnect at LHR?

I've got an 85 minute connection to BA, complete with terminal change at LHR, coming from Boston where there's a very distinct possibility of snow-related delays.

If I misconnect to what is the last flight of the day to my destination, what's the procedure? It's a OW180F and I'm flying in on AA connecting to BA.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Just a wild guess, but perhaps you would be put on the next available flight? I wouldn't expect any hotel vouchers, though.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:19 pm

Presumably, BA will rebook you on the next available flight to your destination. Depending on the reason for the misconnect, AA may help out with hotels. If it's weather related or just because the line at the FCC was slow, I wouldn't expect anything from AA.

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:21 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Never been in this situation myself, but I would expect a premium cabin seat on the next flight.

Guess you could be out of luck if there are no premium seats left to give.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by mesadler
It's a OW180F and I'm flying in on AA connecting to BA.
@Val Given that the original flight was nin F I assume if there was availability in F the OP would automatically be in F... not sure where they can go from there.

Personally I would pray for good weather

Best of luck
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
If you are that worried about it, get on an earlier flight out of BOS or book a later flight out of LHR. This way you have peace of mind
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vasantn
Just a wild guess, but perhaps you would be put on the next available flight? I wouldn't expect any hotel vouchers, though.
Since , I assume at this point would be dealing with BA to get another flight, then I would not be surprised to get hotel accommodation provided

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM
Ditto the suggestion of changing your itinerary to allow for more time. We just did that for a July itinerary through LHR so we had one less thing to worry about.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Deltahater
If you are that worried about it, get on an earlier flight out of BOS or book a later flight out of LHR. This way you have peace of mind
The OP is flying BOS-LHR with an 85 minute connection to the last flight of the day out of LHR. I think it's a fair conclusion that they're on AA156 which gets in at 8:30pm not AA108 which gets in at 6:35am. In that case it's likely that there is not an earlier flight out of BOS (AA156 departs at 9:00am). The original post stated that there isn't a later connecting flight.

I don't know what BA/AA would do vis-a-vis hotel on a OW180F, but I've got a 5 pound note that says the OP won't make an 85 minute terminal change connection at LHR. I'm a little surprised they ticketed it. The OP didn't say what terminal they're leaving from, but BA quotes the minimum connection time between T3 and T1 or T2 as 75 minutes, T4 as 90 minutes:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...3/public/en_us
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

nomore1k is right. I'm going T3 to T1 and there aren't any earlier flights from BOS nor later ones to HKG.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
nomore1k is right. I'm going T3 to T1 and there aren't any earlier flights from BOS nor later ones to HKG.
Yes, but you are confining yourself to a same day window. I for one would not worry, but if you do, then fly out a day earlier or day later to HKG
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
There is, however, CX254 which departs T3 for HKG at 21:50. BA, though they would not be involved, maintains that T3-T3 can be done in a scheduled 60 minutes:
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/ma...rr_int3dep.pdf

Of course that allows for 20 minutes at FCC and assumes an ontime arrival. YMMV.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:45 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
I know it is in F.

Point is, when there is a misconnect, you often have a choice to make-
You can get on the next flight in Y, or you can fly the next day (or evening) in F.

Originally Posted by simongr
@Val Given that the original flight was nin F I assume if there was availability in F the OP would automatically be in F... not sure where they can go from there.

Personally I would pray for good weather

Best of luck
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:21 am

If you misconnect, you'll get put on the next available flight. As soon as you know this is going to happen (i.e., before you leave BOS while you are sitting at the airport) call and get rebooked.

If you're concerned with the cost of a hotel room, you can buy cheap travel insurance that will typically pay you $100-$500 towards the cost of necessary expenses for the delay.

Look at what options you have for later flights and check seating availability. If you are trying to get to you destination by a certain time and things don't look favorable, you may want to pay for the changes and fly out the day before from BOS.

There is not much you can do right now as no airline that I know of will be rebooking anyone [for free] on their hunch of a misconnect.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: AA ExP
85 minutes is doable

Coming out of F, you should be first out the gate to FCC, and have a BA F ticket to get through premium security - did an AA to BA connection in LHR in like 30 minutes on Sunday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.