Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sets new policy limits on onboard waiting during delays

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
It is classic overreaction to a sensational media story.
No it isn't: the media hardly paid attention to it until the passengers of the flight revolted. It is an abused-passenger revolt, not a media thing.

The system works very well overall. The vast majority of flights operate on time.
So? The fact that 99.9% of cars are not lemons doesn't make lemon laws unnecessary, doesn't it? Or the fact that 99.9% of people eating veggies don't get sick doesn't make the FDA rules unnecessary.

People got ABUSED in AUS. It was not the first time, by far. A volunteer system was put in place in 1999 by the airlines and it FAILED. It will FAIL again. We need a passenger bill of rights, so that airlines will put the cost of breaking the LAW into the equation when they make decisions--on staffing, on what planes to assign to gates, on what compensation to give out; otherwise there will be another instance like AUS, and you could be the one subject to it.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krug
All this does is set a generic standardised rule as a sop to the media (and no doubt to busybody lawyers circling for a class action), which does not take into account the exceptional circumstances of the delay in question.
Read the FACTS before responding; I suggest Google. That flight was left out in the tarmac with malfunctioning toilets etc. when the available AA gate was repeatedly used for other flights (so they wouldn't miss revenue), and other (non-AA) gates at the airport were available (it would have costed AA money to rent one to get the people of the flight out).

There was nothing exceptional about the situation of the flight--what was exceptional is how callously AA acted versus its customers and fellow humans. It took the Captain's willingness to violate company orders (he pulled into an open gate against AA's directive not to do so) to finish the ordeal which AA management would have had going on even longer.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM, AC
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I've experienced several 3-4 hour delays, although by no means have they occurred regularly, more like once every few years or so. (Knock on wood.)

The most memorable:
DFW-SEA. I was PLT at the time and had chosen not to upgrade (for some idiotic reason). Summer storms at DFW were causing delays. We sat on the tarmac for 4+ hours waiting for our turn to take off after the 50 or so other planes that were ahead of us in the queue.
I would agree that this does not happen frequently but when it does boy does it suck!!

My Most memorable was a ORD-MSP where we sat on the tarmac for 4+ hours and there were 60+ planes ahaed of us for take off after the storm cleared. I remember thinking I could have walked faster.

So I guess my question is under this 4 hour rule - in situations like this - would we have gone back to the gate (which probably was full) and then gotten back in line as say 100 to take off?

I think I would rather stay in line and get to where I was going. I think that this 4 hr rule should apply if there is no end in sight (ie dont know how long it will take for whatever (weather, mechanical etc) to be fixed).
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by queenladyk
So I guess my question is under this 4 hour rule - in situations like this - would we have gone back to the gate (which probably was full) and then gotten back in line as say 100 to take off?

I think I would rather stay in line and get to where I was going. I think that this 4 hr rule should apply if there is no end in sight (ie dont know how long it will take for whatever (weather, mechanical etc) to be fixed).
If you create any kind of rule, particularly one set by the feds, it will have to be strictly adhered to, and there will always be a few extreme cases where it's harmful rather than beneficial.

It seems to me it comes down to how much you trust the airline to look after your best interest. Some people appear to have more trust than others.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by queenladyk
I think I would rather stay in line and get to where I was going.
Agreed. I would hate to be sent back to the gate because of a 4 hour mandatory cutoff if conditions indicated that the plane was close to actually be allowed to depart.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM),BA Gold
Originally Posted by MDXman
This really isn't an AA issue, but rather an ATC issue.
Maybe not strictly an AA issue but AA sure compounds the problems in numerous situations.
AA1505 DFW-LAS on 17 Jan is an example - gate showed on-time up until 30 minutes after scheduled departure, however, AA couldn't find the scheduled FAs, after almost 2 hours they found replacements, with minmal updates - just kept extending the estimated departure by 15 minutes.
Once onboard, needed de-icing due to freezing rain. CPT said we were #8 for de-icing. It then took almost 3 hours to get thorugh de-icing station (for only 8 planes ). 9am scheduled arrival turned into 2pm. Not all of delay on-board but way too long with way too little information shared by AA employees. Poor AA coordination and communicaiton during irregular ops is an AA problem that should be addressed by pax bill of rights. This is only most recent example I've experienced where the harder AA tries the more they get it screwed up.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
In the balance of interests, the interests of less than 200 people do not trump the interests of the majority of people who were not as badly affected...
Exactly.

As long as only a small percentage of passengers are put through living hell, placing their health and safety at risk... the rest of us have places to go and people to see. Besides, it didn't happen to us, it happened to you, so what's the big deal?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Agreed. I would hate to be sent back to the gate because of a 4 hour mandatory cutoff if conditions indicated that the plane was close to actually be allowed to depart.
However, that's inherent in the nature of such "creeping delays," and what complicates the decision-making process.

Those in the know are almost always under the impression that everything will be better "in just a few more minutes." Then, before you know it, another few hours have elapsed.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
However, that's inherent in the nature of such "creeping delays," and what complicates the decision-making process.

Those in the know are almost always under the impression that everything will be better "in just a few more minutes." Then, before you know it, another few hours have elapsed.
I agree completely. My point is only that I haven't found 3-4 hour delays to be unbearable or "too long" as others have stated (although they were certainly unpleasant). I would absolutely not be in favor of a lower mandatory maximum.

My other point was that even at 4-hours, a mandatory cutoff might not actually be in the best interest of the pax.

Do I have a better suggestion? Not really. Ideally common sense would prevail and decisions would be made according to the particulars of each situation. However, we see how well that worked recently.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hillrider
No it isn't: the media hardly paid attention to it until the passengers of the flight revolted. It is an abused-passenger revolt, not a media thing.
And it wouldn't have been news if it wasn't rare. Passenger revolt or not, it was still a media story because it was rare.

When was the last time you saw a media story titled "Flight Arrives On Time And Safely."

So? The fact that 99.9% of cars are not lemons doesn't make lemon laws unnecessary, doesn't it? Or the fact that 99.9% of people eating veggies don't get sick doesn't make the FDA rules unnecessary.

People got ABUSED in AUS. It was not the first time, by far. A volunteer system was put in place in 1999 by the airlines and it FAILED. It will FAIL again. We need a passenger bill of rights, so that airlines will put the cost of breaking the LAW into the equation when they make decisions--on staffing, on what planes to assign to gates, on what compensation to give out; otherwise there will be another instance like AUS, and you could be the one subject to it.
Those are very different situations. Regulation in those does not have the potential to create a knock-on effect like can happen with commercial aviation.

Effected passengers have remedies after the fact if an airline breaches its duty of care to them. They don't need a "Bill of Rights" (what a silly term, btw) for that purpose. If the "Bill of Rights" focuses on the flow of information to passengers, the provision of adequate facilities and, maye, a requirement that after a certain time the flight's status must be re-assessed, that's one thing, but if it includes arbitrary cut-off times, then it is creating the potential to cause more problems than it solves.

If I was in an AUS situation, it would be miserable, no doubt, but that doesn't change anything. In all likelihood the vast majority of flights would be operating normally and if I thought AA breached its duty of care to me, I have legal recourses after the fact. I don't need any additional rights.

Empathy almost always leads to bad policy.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Empathy almost always leads to bad policy.
And extreme cases make bad law.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
.... otherwise there will be another instance like AUS, and you could be the one subject to it.
Surely the whole point about these exceptional operations is that they're exceptional? You can almost guarantee that American will have problems in the future, but they probably won't look like what happened in AUS, SAT, OKC & the rest in December 2006. And the corrollary is there's only a limited amount of planning they can do for them because they don't know when and where they're going to happen. Plus you have to be careful that any proposed laws tackle the real problem rather than slap a band-aid on specific circumstances.

One of the hallmarks of a truly great service organization is it hires good people and pushes considerable responsibility for tackling the unexpected, exceptional circumstances down to low levels so that correections can be made quickly.

From my perspective, I used to think AA had that quality in the 90's - I could describe several problems they fixed quickly efficiently at that time. I wonder if part of what we're seeing today is a by product of the drive to cut costs has resulted in them moving decision levels up the organization, with the consequence the people close to the problem aren't allowed to react to them? If that's part of the problem I wish I knew a solution.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
Originally Posted by bernardd
Also, go to the NTSB web site and, if you haven't done so before, read the accident report for the AA crash in Oklahoma - I believe it was AA1420 in 1999?
Simply just for the record, it was indeed AA1420, but at LIT on June 1,1999.

Now think about the Oklahoma accident. The NTSB laid part of the blame on a fatigued crew landing in a thunderstorm. Sound familiar? I'm sure they were trying to do their best for the passengers, but would you choose to be flown by any crew after all those hours on duty in a plane in AUS?
As a passenger on 1420, I can say for certain that there's no doubt we shouldn't have landed...I would have much rather diverted to MEM or circled for a period of time rather than experience what happened. No amount of time saved by trying to get the plane there regardless of the impending weather dangers is worth the consequences that our pilots' actions caused that night. I know the passengers stranded in AUS & elsewhere had some incredible hardships, and I'm thankfully AA is trying to do something about it. Similar to what others have said, however, it will be interesting to see how AA handles this type of situation the next time it occurs!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bernardd
I wonder if part of what we're seeing today is a by product of the drive to cut costs has resulted in them moving decision levels up the organization, with the consequence the people close to the problem aren't allowed to react to them?
Say again?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by drtdk
Say again?
Put simply, if all the decisions are made dispassionately in Dallas(?) based on information filtered and distorted as it's passed up the line from AUS, are they making the same decisions the local managers would when faced with the experience up close and personal? It's a heck of a lot easier, for example, to worry about money rather than passengers if you personally don't have to face the passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.