Search

ORD-SJU, upgrade using miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:33 pm
pbz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
ORD-SJU, upgrade using miles?

Is an upgrade using miles worth it on ORD-SJU? What are the benefits up front on this flight, relative to a normal domestic or transatlantic flight?

This will be on a 757 with the flight south at 12:25 and 2:25p on the return.

Traveling w/Mrs. pbz and obviously ditching the unknown row-mate is the major attraction. Just wondering if this is one of those situations where you get up front and the service is still nonexistent.

Thanks for any tips
/pbz
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Don't upgrade for the service. You'll probably get more smiles, and you'll get a free airplane meal and unlimited free drinks. But IMHO the reason why you absolutely should upgrade is for the added space and comfort. That's reason enough in my book.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:14 pm
pbz
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. In addition to info about the service level I was also interested to get any thoughts on whether the upgrade is a good value for the price asked.

/pbz
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not worth it for the aircraft type or service on this route, but there ain't anyway I'm sitting in Y for 4 - 4 1/2 hours
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AA4LIFE
Not worth it for the aircraft type or service on this route, but there ain't anyway I'm sitting in Y for 4 - 4 1/2 hours
In other words, it's worth it.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
As others have posted, I echo the sentiments regarding the service and food - nothing special.

But, I upgrade on this flight to get a more comfortable seat. If you want a more comfortable seat for 4 hours, then upgrade.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
When traveling as a couple, I would definitely upgrade if you can't get 9B/C or 9D/E. If you can, well, then it's not that big of a deal to upgrade. As others have said, the service isn't great.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pbz
Thanks for the quick response. In addition to info about the service level I was also interested to get any thoughts on whether the upgrade is a good value for the price asked.

/pbz

An upgrade is always worth it.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by AA4LIFE
So -1 worthiness point for type of aircraft
and -1 point for service
and +3 points for duration

=+1, decision is yes , then?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
So -1 worthiness point for type of aircraft
and -1 point for service
and +3 points for duration

=+1, decision is yes , then?
Only if we stipulate to the values you place on the a/c type, the service, and the duration. If, for example, service was -2, a/c was -2 and duration was +3, it doesn't work out like that.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:21 pm
pbz
Original Poster

2/3 of my flights are fairly short--EWR, MEM, MSY, etc. Most of the rest are ~8h (Europe, Hawaii and the like) with a rare jaunt to SFO. No transcon & almost never to the Caribbean anymore tho maybe more going forward. Have not been thru SJU for a year and a half.

Almost never ride in F because in the past I've taken the free coach tix. MD's and RJ's not bad. The rows of 3 on the 757 are already annoying me though. Had no opportunity to avoid this time.

/pbz
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Only if we stipulate to the values you place on the a/c type, the service, and the duration. If, for example, service was -2, a/c was -2 and duration was +3, it doesn't work out like that.
Well I was trying to figure out his logic that said on the one hand no reason to do it then on the other I would always do it, thus making the argument sort of hard to follow. So 4 hours even if they fed you gruel and forced you to fly in a Tupolev with open windows, the duration is the only factor.

Math seemed a way to do that.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
and forced you to fly in a Tupolev with open windows, the duration is the only factor.
That flight wouldn't last four hours .
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
I flew this route in October with out a lot of stickers to spare. Personally, I can do the 2nd exit row near the middle (18D for example) and make it four hours if I have to. If you don't have status - may prove hard for even that though. Totally concur with all others that the service & meal on the 757's from SJU are not extraordinary to ORD or DFW.

I personally like to save my stickers/miles upgrades for special trips or times/itineraries when they'll really pay off - early AM, late PM, multiple flights, etc., but that's just me.

SJU airport probably hasn't changed that much for AA in the last year and a half. AC not bad, near Gate 15.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:46 pm
In memoriam

We flew SAN-FLL-SJU-LAX-SAN a few weeks ago and upgraded with miles. (We had a five-day layover in FLL before going on to SJU.) I normally don't like to use miles for upgrades because domestic first class isn't all that great, and I'd rather splurge on international routes. On the other hand for upgrades on four legs, including the long SJU-LAX segment, we thought it was worthwhile.

The trip from FLL to SJU was notably enjoyable. Although the flight was relatively short, the food was quite good, the service was fine, and the 757 seats were comfortable. We were quite satisfied. The flight back to LAX was OK. I don't remember too much about the meals, but overall we were satisfied, and it's just too long a flight to even contemplate sitting in the back. (It was a 767.)

You will have to try to envision your flights as compared to our itinerary to make a decision. Conclusion: If you have miles to spare, this is a pretty good use of the 30,000 to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.