FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   When will transcons see increased lounge access? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/657893-when-will-transcons-see-increased-lounge-access.html)

Fly AA J all the way Feb 8, 2007 10:36 am

When will transcons see increased lounge access?

I remember a thread from a while back about updates to the 762 cabins, and that along with those upgrades, pax in J/F on the JFK-LAX/SFO flights would enjoy increased lounge access. Has anyone seen more information on when this will happen, and what booking inventories will be eligable?

ESpen36 Feb 8, 2007 11:59 am

1) ALL inventories of nonstop transcon First Class will be eligible for access to the FLs and ACs on the day of travel.
2) ALL inventories of nonstop transcon Business Class will be eligible for access to the ACs on the day of travel.

These changes to the admit policies are supposed to coincide with the upgrades to the 762 J and F cabins.

However, this link:
http://news.cheapflights.com/airline...an_upgrad.html

...suggests that the new admit policies will be in place effective THIS SUMMER, when the new FL and second AC open at JFK. Way before the cabin upgrades to the 762 are complete.

Perhaps one of our resident transcon experts (Sluggo?) can provide some insight.

Blumie Feb 8, 2007 12:16 pm

From AA's December 13 press release (emphasis added):

In addition, American will enhance its lounge admittance policy in conjunction with the opening of the new Flagship Lounge® and second Admirals Club® lounge at the new JFK terminal by summer 2007. First Class passengers flying on transcontinental routes on three-class aircraft will have access to American’s Flagship Lounges, usually reserved for international premium class customers. In addition, Business Class passengers traveling on transcontinental routes on three-class aircraft will have access to American’s Admirals Club lounges.

Fly AA J all the way Feb 8, 2007 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 7183895)
1) ALL inventories of nonstop transcon First Class will be eligible for access to the FLs and ACs on the day of travel.
2) ALL inventories of nonstop transcon Business Class will be eligible for access to the ACs on the day of travel.

Do the new rules for F apply to non-AFS flights? In theory, would LAX-BOS upgraded with stickers get one into the FL, or is this apply only to the routes served by three-class planes?

Also, with regards to the J access to the AC, I'm a little surprised that sticker upgrades will be allowed (not that it matters to me, I use miles on transcons).

I wonder, though, whether this will be a bad thing for those upgrading with stickers. I could see AA saving many more upgrades for the gate so that they don't have to serve those pax in the lounges. In any case, this will encourage me to even do as many of my domestic connections as possible with a transcon portion.

Blumie Feb 8, 2007 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7185245)
I could see AA saving many more upgrades for the gate so that they don't have to serve those pax in the lounges.

Are you always so paranoid?

Fly AA J all the way Feb 8, 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 7185268)
Are you always so paranoid?

Yes. Especially if all transcon F, regardless of a/c, can use the FL, that could be a lot of free booze given out :).

RChavez Feb 8, 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7185245)
Do the new rules for F apply to non-AFS flights? In theory, would LAX-BOS upgraded with stickers get one into the FL, or is this apply only to the routes served by three-class planes?

Originally Posted by cheapflights.com
First Class passengers on AA’s three-class transcon flights will be able to use the Flagship facility; Business-Class fliers on American Airlines’ coast-to-coast tri-class flights can take refuge in the Admirals Club before their flight.

From the above quote, it appears that unless LAX-BOS is operated as 3 class, no dice. Granted, it's not an official AA notice, but it does seem to indicate that 2-class F pax would not be admitted (which is a change from current policy which states that only pax booked in Z or F class are admitted to the FL).

Fly AA J all the way Feb 8, 2007 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez (Post 7186090)
From the above quote, it appears that unless LAX-BOS is operated as 3 class, no dice. Granted, it's not an official AA notice, but it does seem to indicate that 2-class F pax would not be admitted (which is a change from current policy which states that only pax booked in Z or F class are admitted to the FL).

That makes sense, with the exception of SFO-JFK on the 2-class 763, and some of the LAX-MIA flights. It seems to me if it's a route opperated by 3-class planes, then for 2-class planes, the 3-class J rules should apply. Note, this would not include my BOS example, I realize that.

DataPlumber Feb 8, 2007 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7185322)
Yes. Especially if all transcon F, regardless of a/c, can use the FL, that could be a lot of free booze given out :).

I thought you had to be booked in F or Z to use the FL or even AC on any transcon. In other words, no UGs allowed.

MollyNYC Feb 8, 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7185322)

When I go into the lounge I'm given a couple of coupons for drinks, so I'm limited to two (though I have never used two yet). However, on the plane, pax can have as many as they want. So I don't see how it would cost the airline more in booze.

ESpen36 Feb 8, 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by MollyNYC (Post 7188220)
When I go into the lounge I'm given a couple of coupons for drinks, so I'm limited to two (though I have never used two yet). However, on the plane, pax can have as many as they want. So I don't see how it would cost the airline more in booze.

Well, the difference is that in the Flagship Lounge, there are no drink coupons because the bar is self-service. It's "all you can drink," basically. So it will cost AA a lot more in booze to open up the FL to all pax traveling in FC on nonstop transcon flights. Not to mention more in food costs.

(OT: How AA enforces drinking laws at FL facilities in the USA is another matter entirely. Does anybody know? Don't most states require a bartender or trained server to be present wherever alcohol is served, to check IDs? Isn't "responsible alcohol service" a condition of liquor licenses in most states?)

Blumie Feb 8, 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 7188541)
(OT: How AA enforces drinking laws at FL facilities in the USA is another matter entirely. Does anybody know? Don't most states require a bartender or trained server to be present wherever alcohol is served, to check IDs? Isn't "responsible alcohol service" a condition of liquor licenses in most states?)

Just a guess, but private clubs usually are subject to looser rules.

wolf539 Feb 9, 2007 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 7188561)

That is simply not true; at least in Illinois. All State statutes and dram shop laws must be adhered to whether you're selling it at retail or giving it away in a private club or residence. The only exception I'm aware of is a religious ceremony. Can't speak to other States though...

Fly AA J all the way Feb 9, 2007 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 7188561)

There was a time, long ago, when I was in the BOS FL, and was certainly in the age range that any bartender would have asked me for ID (just to be sure). However, no mention of that during my bar "tour." Nobody ever questioned me as I took it upon myself to spend three hours getting loaded. I'm not sure how it is at the other FL (only two others at the time in the US, IIRC), but alcohol is one of the things (besides boxes with blinking lights) that Ma$$holes are the most paranoid about, so I imagine they've realized that nobody cares.

Or maybe they just figure that the chance of someone underage and not with a parent being there in the first place is incredibly remote, I'm not sure.

Blumie Feb 9, 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by wolf539 (Post 7190061)
That is simply not true; at least in Illinois. All State statutes and dram shop laws must be adhered to whether you're selling it at retail or giving it away in a private club or residence. The only exception I'm aware of is a religious ceremony. Can't speak to other States though...

Yes, there are certain laws -- such as the minimum drinking age -- that are not going to vary. But certain other laws are going to vary based on whether its a restaurant/bar or a private club. And of course the variation is going to be different in each state.