FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Stuck on a JAL flight that AA Codeshares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/654487-stuck-jal-flight-aa-codeshares.html)

AlexS Jan 31, 07 2:02 am

Stuck on a JAL flight that AA Codeshares

I'm going to San Francisco from NRT on business the end of the month, and my company's airline of choice is JAL. I just found out that they got me a ticket in Y, going on JAL002, and returning on JAL001--both of which are JAL metal, but flights they codeshare with AA.

I'm not thrilled about having a seat without a powerport, but is there anything I can do to get some of the AA plat benefits? I gave them my AAdvantage number, but I assume I'll just be getting the normal amount of miles (no plat bonus), and no EQMs/EQPs. Am I totally out of luck here? My company would never go for canceling it and rebooking it on the AA codeshare even if it turned out to be the same price or cheaper.

Thanks,

Alex

millionmiler Jan 31, 07 2:15 am

You are correct.

IceTrojan Jan 31, 07 2:18 am

Tell your travel planner they're idiots.

n5177c Jan 31, 07 2:23 am

Your company booked you in coach on a 12 hour flight. The horror! :eek: :D

AlexS Jan 31, 07 2:40 am

Thanks guys...Argh it's so frustrating!

I can actually handle coach--usually this trip is on my dime--but I'm really worried about not having power for my laptop :eek:

Actually, I heard that our company has a "special arrangement" with JAL, and that if there's availability, we get complimentary upgrades to business class. I'm a little suspicious about this, and couldn't find anything on the JAL site, but according to Expert Flyer there's pleanty of availability so I have my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Alex

IceTrojan Jan 31, 07 3:03 am

If it's power you want, then route through LAX and get on the JL codeshare on AA169.

AlexS Jan 31, 07 3:18 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7127531)
If it's power you want, then route through LAX and get on the JL codeshare on AA169.

I already tried that :D--no dice :(
I'm going with two of my co-workers, and they don't appreciate the importance of inflight power.

By the way I missed your post before--believe me I'd love to tell them, but my Japanese isn't quite there yet :eek:

Seriously though, what they did really doesn't make a lot of sense. They got us full-fare Y tickets at about 4 times the price of discounted tickets. There's pretty much no reason why our schedule would change, and we could have gotten discounted J tickets for only slightly more...

Alex

Spiff Jan 31, 07 5:33 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7127436)
Tell your travel planner they're idiots.

I agree. I book my own travel or tell the travel planner what to book.

Spiff Jan 31, 07 5:36 am

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7127566)

Seriously though, what they did really doesn't make a lot of sense. They got us full-fare Y tickets at about 4 times the price of discounted tickets.

Refund yours and take AA instead. Tell your coworkers you'll meet them at NRT and you'll be the rested-looking one if they have trouble finding you. ;)

BenjaminNYC Jan 31, 07 5:40 am

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7127403)
My company would never go for canceling it and rebooking it on the AA codeshare even if it turned out to be the same price or cheaper.

Why on Earth not???

AlexS Jan 31, 07 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 7127841)
Refund yours and take AA instead. Tell your coworkers you'll meet them at NRT and you'll be the rested-looking one if they have trouble finding you. ;)

I didn't book or pay for the tickets, so it's unfortunately not that simple. I got a confirmation with the PNR, and flight numbers and seat times, but that's it. I assume I would have no problem canceling it, but the refund would go to my office, and I'm not sure they'd reimburse me if I bought a ticket myself.

Part of the problem is that I only speak a little Japanese, and basically can't read anything, so trying to talk to our travel people is tough. There are a couple people in my department that usually help me take care of stuff like this, but as far as they're concerned, I have a ticket, so who cares if it isn't my airline of choice. They're all really nice, and generally very helpful, but they're not into this kind of stuff.

Also, when I spoke to the person arranging the trip (who speaks nearly perfect English), I mentioned how if we were flying Y, maybe we could take AA because of the power issue. For those of you that have worked with Japanese people/corporations before, I got the "Oh, maybe. We'll have to look into that." and then my ticket confirmation arrived a few hours later.

By the way, I'd prefer to get the EQMs/EQPs, and a seat in row 31, if I have to sit in coach, but is JAL that bad? I had kind of gotten the impression that it was better than AA?

Thanks,

Alex

BenjaminNYC Jan 31, 07 6:03 am

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7127918)
By the way, I'd prefer to get the EQMs/EQPs, and a seat in row 31, if I have to sit in coach, but is JAL that bad? I had kind of gotten the impression that it was better than AA?

Certainly better in First and Business. In Coach, since AA no longer has MRTC, I would assume they're pretty close. No power, but maybe better IFE? I hear you on the EQM/P and bonus issue.

Looks like you're in a tough spot... :(

IceTrojan Jan 31, 07 6:09 am

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7127918)
For those of you that have worked with Japanese people/corporations before, I got the "Oh, maybe. We'll have to look into that." and then my ticket confirmation arrived a few hours later.

Maybe you should mention the fact that, with power plugs, you can efficiently use that time to work that would otherwise go wasted. That should get their attention :p

AlexS Jan 31, 07 6:34 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 7127933)
Certainly better in First and Business. In Coach, since AA no longer has MRTC, I would assume they're pretty close. No power, but maybe better IFE? I hear you on the EQM/P and bonus issue.

It would be tough to have worse IFE...I don't know how you can get away with only showing 3 movies on a 14 hour flight! But, regardless, I much prefer my own IFE :cool: I got the complete set of West Wing (all 7 seasons) on DVD, and watched for like 10 hours on my last flight back here :D

IceTrojan I tried that! I was shocked that they didn't go for it as the two people I'm going with are younger guys and are all about working as hard as possible for the company!

I am really curious about this complimentary upgrade though, so we'll have to see what happens.

IceTrojan Jan 31, 07 6:41 am

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7128044)

IceTrojan I tried that! I was shocked that they didn't go for it as the two people I'm going with are younger guys and are all about working as hard as possible for the company!

That's it... it's time to whip out the "And you never apologized for Pearl Harbor!" card.;)

One thought... I'd bring my power brick anyway... I've noticed that there are usually power plugs located by the emergency exit doors, about a foot off the floor. I've never used them, but I've always wondered if they work. Though some report that the power fluctuations (if they're even on) might ruin your computer. YMMV I guess.

I really can't believe your company. Have you considered working somewhere else? If they can't see the benefit of in-air power, they'll probably run the company into the ground.