Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck on a JAL flight that AA Codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Maybe you should mention the fact that, with power plugs, you can efficiently use that time to work that would otherwise go wasted. That should get their attention
Ahh grasshoppa! But you are clearly wearing the wrong headset. Time for a refresh and a reboot, and a circle-back after the nemawashi.

Have you considered (obviously, not, since you are clearly a selfish barbarian hairy water buffalo) that if our young AlexS flies in the plane with the powerport, his colleagues will not, and that will not be fair? Have you not given any thought to the fairness of the issue? Apparently not, and you shall have to attend mandatory training on that.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
One thought... I'd bring my power brick anyway... I've noticed that there are usually power plugs located by the emergency exit doors, about a foot off the floor. I've never used them, but I've always wondered if they work. Though some report that the power fluctuations (if they're even on) might ruin your computer. YMMV I guess.
IIRC, those power ports are used for cleaning the aircraft (vacuum cleaning more precisely) and are spec'd at 115 V, 400 Hz. I don't think anyone's laptop power supply would like that!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Ahh grasshoppa! But you are clearly wearing the wrong headset. Time for a refresh and a reboot, and a circle-back after the nemawashi.

Have you considered (obviously, not, since you are clearly a selfish barbarian hairy water buffalo) that if our young AlexS flies in the plane with the powerport, his colleagues will not, and that will not be fair? Have you not given any thought to the fairness of the issue? Apparently not, and you shall have to attend mandatory training on that.
Fairness? Fairness? This is Japan...we don't need to be fair, just consistent

By the way to make matters worse, I was printing out my AA mileage statement (I haven't gotten my plat card yet), and I have 3,490 miles towards upgrades. I'm taking CX to HKG on Friday, that's another 3,682 miles for a total of 7,172. I could have gotten four more stickers too!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AlexS

Part of the problem is that I only speak a little Japanese, and basically can't read anything, so trying to talk to our travel people is tough. There are a couple people in my department that usually help me take care of stuff like this, but as far as they're concerned, I have a ticket, so who cares if it isn't my airline of choice. They're all really nice, and generally very helpful, but they're not into this kind of stuff.
Here's a quick Japanese lesson:

"Japan Air Lines - Iye!, American Airlines - Hai!! Wakarimasu ka?"

Also, when I spoke to the person arranging the trip (who speaks nearly perfect English), I mentioned how if we were flying Y, maybe we could take AA because of the power issue. For those of you that have worked with Japanese people/corporations before, I got the "Oh, maybe. We'll have to look into that." and then my ticket confirmation arrived a few hours later.
Since your travel arranger holds you in such contempt, I'd fire his/her okole (Hawaiian) and use someone else or book trips yourself in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

I hope you guys are all getting a kick out of this, because it keeps getting better and better I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off and going to Hong Kong for the weekend, so I can't get too upset about this, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

I just got a call from one of the people I'm going with who has been dealing with our office's travel department. I asked them to put in my AA FF number so I'd at least get the miles in an account I might actually use in the future, when they made the reservation. Ehhh. No. Wrong answer.

They can put in my AA number, but then I won't have a chance at getting my "magical mystery complimentary" upgrade. I need to be using a JAL FF account for that. Also, JAL is a client of ours (if you find their website as difficult to use as I do, now you know why), and they would probably generally prefer if I credited the miles to a JAL account.

I've almost given up at this point, but I figure I'll give them my JAL FF number, and if the upgrade doesn't clear they can sub my AA number in at the gate right? If only this trip was next month when JAL was officially in OW!

Last edited by AlexS; Jan 31, 2007 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
They can put in my AA number, but then I won't have a chance at getting my "magical mystery complimentary" upgrade. I need to be using a JAL FF account for that.
Look at the bright side of things: Take the difference in overall quality between JAL and AA in C, and multiply by the probability of getting your upgrade. This gives you the expected value of your decision to take a gamble, and a clear benchmark for choosing between a sure Y flight in AA or the chance of an upgrade in JAL. What do you give up? The AA miles, of course.

In my view, that probability would have to be pretty low (I'd say 30%) before I chose the sure AA thing. If the magical mystery upgrade is a near sure thing, it is worth giving up the AA miles for that. Trust me.

...unless, of course, the JAL flight has the old seats, in which case, I may slum it out in coach in AA...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Look at the bright side of things: Take the difference in overall quality between JAL and AA in C, and multiply by the probability of getting your upgrade. This gives you the expected value of your decision to take a gamble, and a clear benchmark for choosing between a sure Y flight in AA or the chance of an upgrade in JAL. What do you give up? The AA miles, of course.
LOL. That brought back very bad flashbacks from my Econ 101 class Of course, you're overlooking that unfortunately a sure flight in AA Y isn't an option. JAL Y is the only thing that's sure right now...

It's still a ways out, but Expert Flyer says F7 C9 I9 D9 on the outbound, and C9 D9 I3 on the return, so cross your fingers for me
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just avoid putting any FF number in the booking and claim the points retrospectively. Seems easy enoughh

Dave
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL. That brought back very bad flashbacks from my Econ 101 class Of course, you're overlooking that unfortunately a sure flight in AA Y isn't an option. JAL Y is the only thing that's sure right now...
Without MRTC, JL Y isn't that much different (and maybe better) than AA Y.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Without MRTC, JL Y isn't that much different (and maybe better) than AA Y.
Actually, I think it's far worse, because there aren't any powerports!

I'd obviously like the whole kit and kaboodle, but EQMs/EQPs and bonus miles are really secondary to a powerport for my purposes.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually, I think it's far worse, because there aren't any powerports!
Buy an extra battery and you can avoid the problem . Anyway, it's only 8 hours on a plane; not the end of the world for being laptopless surely

Dave
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:30 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Why not buy a spare battery. I can go 18 hours on my laptop between my two batteries. Never worry about in air power again.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:33 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Buy an extra battery and you can avoid the problem . Anyway, it's only 8 hours on a plane; not the end of the world for being laptopless surely

Dave
Oops - serves me right for getting distracted and taking half an hour to post my reply .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.