aa denied me boarding.....were they correct?

Old Jan 18, 07, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Angry aa denied me boarding.....were they correct?

This happened last weekend, and I cannot figure out why AA did what it did.

Was flying AS from seattle to chicago, then connecting on aa to cleveland. all on one ticket bought at aa.com. sea-ord was very late due to mechanical, and it got to the point where even if it did take off, I would miss the connection. The nice Alaska air folks at the service center rebooked me on the sea-ord-cle ALL ON AA METAL. They gave me an eticket with a record locater, a summary of the itinerary.

At the gate, the agent said that my ticket had an invalid routing. I haven't a clue what she was talking about, but for now lets give her the benefit of the doubt. She said that Alaska had to reissue it. Alaska HAD reissued it to AA, thats how I ended up there in the first place. It said nothing about "valid as only" or anything like that. So instead of doing anything about it there, with 20 minutes left til door close, she sent me back to the AS service center. Nevertheless I missed the flight.

The fine AS folks were clueless as to what was wrong with the ticket. It met the fare rules, was reissued to aa flights.

So in the end, I had to overnight in seattle at my expense and fly out the next day, this time on the original as to ord, and aa to cle.

first question, what was the aa agent talking about? what did she want that wasn't on the ticket as gave me?

puzzled....
Old Jan 18, 07, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've had this happen, a common problem when tickets are reissued close to departure time on another airline using a different CRS. When any airline changes a PNR, the record is locked (to prevent concurrent changes by another agent). After the changes, the record must be unlocked. Sometimes this doesn't happen (for various reasons). If AS had the record locked, the AA agent cannot print the boarding pass and because of the incompatibilities with the AS computer system the errors they get are not very clear (it doesn't say "record locked by AS", that would be too easy). There is nothing that the AA agent can do on the AA system to clear this up, they have to phone and get an AS agent to unlock it on the AS system. I've had this happen during involuntary reroutes between AA/BA and various other airlines, typically when done within 1 hour of departure time. E-tickets have this problem; paper tickets do not.

One option is to ask AS to print a paper ticket for you when they do this kind of change, that bypasses the problem (however some agents are very reluctant to convert to a paper ticket).
Old Jan 18, 07, 1:11 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
I do not think AA denied you boarding as you did not have a boarding pass.

AA did not accept the ticketing change that AS did. AA would not accept your ticket for some reason.

With AS being only a partner airline (vs OW) the ticketing changes could be as complex as if it were another carrier. The fact that they did it as an e-ticket (vs paper) change probably is what caused the problem.

In future, any non OW change I would have insisted on a paper ticket for the reissue (from AS to AA in this case). AA put me on a NW recently and issued a paper ticket and I had no problem (other than SSSS) eventhough my original AA was a eticket.

From the sounds of it, AS messed up (not AA) eventhough they were clueless about the reasons.
Old Jan 18, 07, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post
I do not think AA denied you boarding as you did not have a boarding pass.

AA did not accept the ticketing change that AS did. AA would not accept your ticket for some reason.

With AS being only a partner airline (vs OW) the ticketing changes could be as complex as if it were another carrier. The fact that they did it as an e-ticket (vs paper) change probably is what caused the problem.

In future, any non OW change I would have insisted on a paper ticket for the reissue (from AS to AA in this case). AA put me on a NW recently and issued a paper ticket and I had no problem (other than SSSS) eventhough my original AA was a eticket.

From the sounds of it, AS messed up (not AA) eventhough they were clueless about the reasons.
This can have its own problems. Eagle at SGF issued a paper ticket to put me on UA once. They didn't make it clear that that's what they were doing. When I "upgraded" to E-Plus at ORD, the UA agent evedently took my paper ticket. (IF I actually ever had one.) UA flight was then canceled. AA put me back on Eagle for ORD-GRR for the next morning. I show up at ORD and try to get my boarding pass and the kiosk says that I can't do that with a paper ticket. I go to the agent and she says she needs my paper ticket. I give her everything that I have, but there's no paper ticket. She mumbles and types and ends up giving me a boarding pass. At the gate, I still don't feel easy about the whole deal so I ask the GA about it as soon as she show up to work the flight. SHE needs to have my paper ticket. She doesn't let me on the plane and I have to go back to UA. UA gets me on their next flight... without a paper ticket.
Old Jan 18, 07, 1:56 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by formentura View Post
Was flying AS from seattle to chicago, then connecting on aa to cleveland. all on one ticket bought at aa.com. sea-ord was very late due to mechanical ...
So in the end, I had to overnight in seattle at my expense and fly out the next day, this time on the original as to ord, and aa to cle.
AS owes you compensation. They botched the ticket which cost you an extra day.
Old Jan 18, 07, 2:04 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by mwhitted View Post
This can have its own problems. Eagle at SGF issued a paper ticket to put me on UA once. They didn't make it clear that that's what they were doing. When I "upgraded" to E-Plus at ORD, the UA agent evedently took my paper ticket. (IF I actually ever had one.) UA flight was then canceled. AA put me back on Eagle for ORD-GRR for the next morning. I show up at ORD and try to get my boarding pass and the kiosk says that I can't do that with a paper ticket. I go to the agent and she says she needs my paper ticket. I give her everything that I have, but there's no paper ticket. She mumbles and types and ends up giving me a boarding pass. At the gate, I still don't feel easy about the whole deal so I ask the GA about it as soon as she show up to work the flight. SHE needs to have my paper ticket. She doesn't let me on the plane and I have to go back to UA. UA gets me on their next flight... without a paper ticket.

IF an eticket was changed to a paper ticket (and collected) and in turn the flight cancelled .. you SHOULD have gotten a paper ticket back ..

I think we have all become sooo used to etickets (that require no work on our part) and have forgotten that paper tickets were all that they had before.

If they collect a paper ticket from you for a flight and it cancels, it is the pax who should know to get another paper ticket for the replacement flight. Once they 'collect/pull' a paper ticket . its GONE. Its like giving someone $100 bill at the boarding gate .. if the flight goes .. you would want your $100 back . right?

Thank goodness paper is not used much any more.

But this entire discussion proves the point that re-routes MAY need to be changed to paper (my feeling they SHOULD be changed) and that once a paper ticket is issue .. it is MONEY and needs to be guarded thusly.
Old Jan 18, 07, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post
IF an eticket was changed to a paper ticket (and collected) and in turn the flight cancelled .. you SHOULD have gotten a paper ticket back ..

I think we have all become sooo used to etickets (that require no work on our part) and have forgotten that paper tickets were all that they had before.

If they collect a paper ticket from you for a flight and it cancels, it is the pax who should know to get another paper ticket for the replacement flight. Once they 'collect/pull' a paper ticket . its GONE. Its like giving someone $100 bill at the boarding gate .. if the flight goes .. you would want your $100 back . right?

Thank goodness paper is not used much any more.

But this entire discussion proves the point that re-routes MAY need to be changed to paper (my feeling they SHOULD be changed) and that once a paper ticket is issue .. it is MONEY and needs to be guarded thusly.
The flight was canceled before the ticket was pulled. We never even got close.
Old Jan 18, 07, 2:54 pm

Without seeing the itin or PNR it is not easy to guess what happened, but here is a shot at it. I am not 100 % sure on the following though.

IF AS reissued the ticket incorrectly by using the wrong fare basis code then when you come to check in at AA the agent will get a "rstrcd/rtg invalid " response from the system. The AA agent would be unable to make any changes to the reservation as AS have control of it.

If this had happened the other way around , the way it should have worked would be that the AA agent will rebook the segments in your PNR , then access the exchange mask ( in this mask the agent needs to put in such information as ticket designator, fare basis code etc)and change the status of the VCR portion to "invol" to the carrier you have been rebooked on. This would allow the other carrier to make any changes.

I am guessing that in this case the AS agent didnt do this (not sure how the AS sytem works or what their policy is ) , so while you may have had the new itineary booked in your PNR , control was still set to AS.

I am not saying this is exactly what happened in your case , but when ever I have gotten this response from a check in entry, this was usually the cause of the problem.
Old Jan 18, 07, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
IMO, AS should have comped your hotel and meals. After all, the delay was due to their mechanical, you did everything they told you to and still had to stay in a hotel. I would ask them to pick up the tab for your hotel and meals.
Old Jan 18, 07, 3:06 pm

JGR01 hit it right on the head.

If your ever rebooked on another carrier and given a paper ticket then that flight cancels, go and demand your paper ticket back .

Once your eticket has been printed to paper then it can not be changed back to an eticket or reprinted.

I cant remember for sure but usually an agent needs to get a FIM (cant remember what it stands for right now, but it is really a check written out to the carrier , and requires the AA agent to leave their first born child as a security deposit) if the paper ticket is not available.
Old Jan 18, 07, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
...an agent needs to get a FIM (cant remember what it stands for right now....
Flight Interuption Manifest.
Old Jan 18, 07, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would actually ask this question in the AS forum. However, the rules about cross-posting might prevent this. I am sure that missydarlin (our wonderful AS angel) could answer this question.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: