S. America C class very hard to find

Old Jan 17, 07, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, AC 35K
S. America C class very hard to find

I am looking at a trip to BUE and SAO from mid to late April and not finding C class availability out of any US gateway. Looking more closely, I see no I class either and very little D class (all based on ExpertFlyer)). Is there really that much demand for J class on these routes or are AA revenue management overly optimistic?

Does anyone have any insights into how likely it is that AA will open up C class as time goes on, and, if so, which routes and days are the most likely?

Thanks,
Old Jan 17, 07, 3:50 pm

Programs: aa exp
I fly 10 times per year GIG SAO SCL and get upgrade 2 or 3 days before never missed a upgrade even day after new years from gig
Old Jan 17, 07, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
April 21 all 3 flights MIA-EZE have at least one C. 24th, 25th , 26th , 27th all have at least one, including ex- DFW. None and no gateway seems not to be the entire situation.
Old Jan 17, 07, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

The dates that I am looking at are outbound April 14-16 and return April 26-28.
Old Jan 18, 07, 12:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Are you using an e-vip or are you using miles for a free ticket?

On 14 April, there's an award seat on LA from MIA to SCL and from SCL to EZE.

On 26 April, there's an award seat on LA from SCL to MIA.
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:36 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I haven't seen an open C seat more then a week out to GIG or GRU in over 2 years. I have cleared every time though.
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:59 am

Maybe your dates just are not lucky... I have never had a problem picking my GRU flights based on C-availability. Went in August and September (ticket booked in July) with C7 on the daytime MIA-GRU-MIA flights and around C2/3/4 on all the other DFW and MIA flights. It does seem that flights to/from JFK don't get C availability until a few days before departure.
Old Jan 18, 07, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAstudent View Post
Maybe your dates just are not lucky... I have never had a problem picking my GRU flights based on C-availability. Went in August and September (ticket booked in July) with C7 on the daytime MIA-GRU-MIA flights and around C2/3/4 on all the other DFW and MIA flights. It does seem that flights to/from JFK don't get C availability until a few days before departure.
"Not lucky" may not be quite the appropriate term the outbound after all is the weekend after Easter, traditionally a very busy travel period to SA.

mike
Old Jan 18, 07, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by flipside View Post
I haven't seen an open C seat more then a week out to GIG or GRU in over 2 years. I have cleared every time though.
I booked a r/t to GIG in mid-July for early January 2007 and both legs had C availability.

I fly rather often to EZE from the USA and always try to upgrade. Here are my comments:

The JFK flight, before it was upgraded to a 777, used to be the hardest on which to get upgraded. I now find it easier to get upgraded on this flight, but I think revenue management might still be holding back C seats as if it were still a 763 and not releasing C inventory until a few days prior to departure. This makes some sense, as the sales history for this flight is based upon historical sales of a lower inventory of J seats. AA has no info on the demand above the number of J seats on a 763, and since many 763 flights JFK-EZE used to be sold out, they might as well wait and see if they can sell the additional J seats provided on a 777. Upgrades don't ususally clear on this flight until 2-4 days before departure.

The MIA-EZE flights are the easiest to upgrade (2x777 daily might have something to do with it), but I despise the MIA airport and I don't like the shorter duration of the flight (usually around 8 hours versus 10.5 from JFK and DFW). This is probably your best bet if you're targeting an upgrade.

The DFW flight is now the only 763 from the USA to EZE on AA. I think it has become the hardest flight on which to score an upgrade. I have found that C class, if not available on the date of purchase, sometimes opens up before departure, but certainly not always. I would take my chances on the MIA flights before the DFW flights, although most people prefer the 763 in J over the 777.

Those are my comments -- from someone who closely tracks C availablity BOS-EZE.
Old Jan 18, 07, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
Actually, it's relatively easy...

I agree with most of the posters who already replied: it's relatively easy to find C to/from GRU.

As long as you steer clear of the major public holidays/events (Christmas/New Year, Carnaval in February, Easter, and Formula 1, among others) then you shouldn't have a problem finding C in advance.

Otherwise, as an EXP (and even PLT) it should clear a couple of days before or at the airport. I've never missed one and only one came down to the wire (i.e., airport).

Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 07, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I have one last (foolish?) question. I see that there are 2 evening flights each day between MIA and both GRU and EZE. They both look about the same in terms of D and I class availabilty at the moment. Are my chances of getting the C upgrade better on the earlier or the later flights or is there no pattern?
Old Jan 21, 07, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by sAAul View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have one last (foolish?) question. I see that there are 2 evening flights each day between MIA and both GRU and EZE. They both look about the same in terms of D and I class availabilty at the moment. Are my chances of getting the C upgrade better on the earlier or the later flights or is there no pattern?
One of the GRU flights is a 777 (whereas the other is 767), so on the 777 flight you might see some J-passengers upgrading to F, thus freeing up J-seats that could eventually be released into C-inventory.
Old Jan 21, 07, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ExpertFlyer is showing:
C2 4/10/07 MIA-EZE
C1 4/10/07 MIA-GRU
C1 4/12/07 MIA-GRU if one checks the two-week period 4/4-4/17

I checked the MIA gateway only in about 60 seconds. EF is fantastic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: