Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > AA intl flights and domestic F/J no longer available on Expedia

AA intl flights and domestic F/J no longer available on Expedia

Old Jan 11, 07, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; AGR Select+
AA intl flights and domestic F/J no longer available on Expedia

I was searching for flights on expedia yesterday and noticed that AA and DL international flights were not coming up in any of my searches. For example, I searched JFK-LHR on a number of different dates, and no AA flights ever came up. When I narrowed my search to AA only, I got the following message:

We were unable to find available flights between New York (JFK) and London (LHR) on American Airlines. Below are available flights on other airlines.
I also searched other international destinations that DL flies non-stop, and none of those came up either.

I called Expedia, which proved to be a complete waste of time. The agent simply kept repeating something about not getting updates from the airline. I asked how it was possible that AA has six non-stops a day between JFK and LHR, and none of them was coming up as available on any day I searched. And he kept mumbling something about not getting updates.

Not being one to give up easily, I sent an email to Expedia. The exchange was laughable:

MY INQUIRY: I was searching for flight from NYC to London. I know that American Airlines operates a lot of flights between these cities, but no matter which dates I searched, no American Airlines flights appeared. When I refined my search just to find American Airlines flights, I got the message: We were unable to find available flights between New York (JFK) and London (LHR) on American Airlines. Below are available flights on other airlines. Does Expedia not sell seats on American Airlines?

INITIAL EXPEDIA RESPONSE: Dear Expedia Customer,

Thank you for contacting us about searching for flights.

Here's how to use the Expedia flight wizard:

1. Go to the Expedia.com home page, http://www.expedia.com, and click the "flights" link at the top of the page.

2. Select the type of search by selecting: "Roundtrip," "One-way," or "Multi. destinations" from the drop down menu.

3. Enter the information for destinations, dates, and times from the drop down boxes.

4. Enter the number of adults, seniors, children, and infants that will be traveling.

5. You may select an airline, class of service, and further refine your search by selecting any of the options under "Additional options."

6. Click on "Search for flights."

7. On the "Search results" page, you can choose to build your own trip by "flight segments" or you can choose "top roundtrips."

8. Selecting the "Choose and continue" link will select the flight(s) and display the flight details page.

9. From the flight details page you can view the rules and restrictions for the selected flights and select a booking option.

If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID: 30581489. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (<http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp>) for more customer service information.

Thank you for choosing Expedia.com.

Patricia
Expedia.com Customer Support Team

MY RESPONSE: Did you even read my question?

EXPEDIA: Dear Expedia Customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes Expedia offers flights on American Airlines. At the time of your search there may not have been any flights available for the destinations you were searching.

If you have further questions regarding this concern, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID 30581489. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (<<http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp>>) for more customer service information.

Jason

ME: Can you please CAREFULLY read my question before responding.

American Airlines operates 6 non-stop flights a day between JFK and London Heathrow. Yet no matter which day I searched, I could not get any of those flights to come up, and instead got the message "We were unable to find available flights between New York (JFK) and London (LHR) on American Airlines. Below are available flights on other airlines."

Are you telling me that all 6 flights were sold out on all of the 10 or so dates I checked?

Thank you for contacting us with your question about airfare availability.

Expedia.com uses a real-time airline reservation database that contains current ticket prices and availability. The database is constantly updated as fares change and seats are sold. Airlines routinely change their prices. In addition, they limit the number of seats available for discounted fares; as the discounted seats sell out, those fares are no longer available. Consequently, it
is possible that a specific fare will be available when you begin planning your trip but will no longer be available when you try to confirm seats.

Airfares are subject to change until your reservation is confirmed and you have purchased your tickets.

If you have further questions regarding this concern, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia.com customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID 30581489. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (http://www.Expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp) for more customer service information

Julie

ME: Please read my question BEFORE answering. So far you've sent me three emails, none of which comes close to answering my question. Expedia is not showing any American Airlines flights between JFK and LHR on any day in any class of service at any fare, notwithstanding that American Airlines operates 6 non-stops a day on that route. Why is that? Are they all sold out, or has Expedia stopped selling tickets on American Airlines?

Thank you for contacting us about your account.

Expedia only sells a certain amount of tickets, so once the tickets sell out then we no longer offer them on the website.

We regret that your experience with Expedia.com was not satisfying. Comments such as yours are read by numerous people within Expedia and help shape our policies and practices as we learn and grow.

If you have further questions regarding this concern, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia.com customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID 30581489. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (<<<http://www.Expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp>>>) for more customer service information

Julie

ME: Not only is my experience with Expedia not satisfying, but my experience with the customer support team is infuriating. I have now received four emails from you guys, none of which answers my question -- even though I have restated it several times to be more clear (although it was very clear to begin with).

I give up.

Thank you for contacting Expedia.com.

It appears that our site is experiencing some technical difficulties. Our site management team has been alerted and we look forward to the site issues being resolved shortly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID 30581489. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (<http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp>) for more customer service information.

Jennifer

ME:Thank you. In addition to the technical difficulties you may be experiencing on your site, you apparently have serious techinical difficulties with your customer support team, too. It should not take five emails and a furious customer to receive an answer that is actually responsive to a question that was clearly stated in the initial inquiry. I would hope someone at expedia would look back over the email exchange I have had with the customer support team today and be embarrassed about the inability of the customer support team to READ the question and provide an answer that is responsive, instead of just sending an off-the-mark canned response.

EXPEDIA: No response.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?
Old Jan 11, 07, 9:39 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet another stellar example of the awful expedia customer service.
Old Jan 11, 07, 10:39 am

I noticed that too. AA international flights (well, I only tried GRU, GIG, EZE and LIM) have not been coming up for me on Expedia since yesterday.
Old Jan 11, 07, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Wow, what an infuriating exchange.

This might explain why I was trying to buy AA tickets JFK-MEX, and Expedia would not pull up any AA flights. The funny thing is that the flight is a code share with MX, and the MX flight should up just fine. So, Expedia could find the aircraft, and find MX selling seats. Since MX selling seats does not necessarily mean AA can sell seats, I went to Travelocity, Orbitz, and AA.com, and all three would sell me AA flight numbers on the same aircraft.

Technical difficulties? I should say so.

/cp
Old Jan 11, 07, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I noticed this re: Delta international flights close to two weeks ago...I thought it was a fluke.
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold, SkyTeam E+, TK Elite, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Exclamation *** BREAKING NEWS - AA & Expedia ***

This just breaking on Reuters News Wires:

12 Jan 2007 00:32 (GMT)

AMERICAN AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL FARES AND DOMESTIC FIRST AND BUSINESS CLASS FARES NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON EXPEDIA

[00:35]
AMR CORP <AMR.N> SAYS DOMESTIC COACH TICKETS ON AMERICAN WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE THROUGH EXPEDIA

More to follow.....
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Very interesting to see if the other majors follow suit...
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I found this on another board. It answers one question but raises many more.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070111/dath032.html?.v=79
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold, SkyTeam E+, TK Elite, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
This Official press release from their Corporate website:

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr..._expedia.jhtml
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
I wonder what Expedia did to piss off AA?
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:45 pm

Programs: aa plat in funkytown tx
wonder why other websites but not expedia.com?
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I found this on another board. It answers one question but raises many more.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070111/dath032.html?.v=79
Seems like you scooped the world by quite a bit!
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Yours is a very bad website"
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Seems like you scooped the world by quite a bit!
It's kinda strange: I used to come here to read scoops, not provide them.
Old Jan 11, 07, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
It's kinda strange: I used to come here to read scoops, not provide them.
Eh-- you can always email me if you wanna' know what's coming in 2007.

Search this Thread