Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get refund of taxes and fees portion of ticket?

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite

In June I purchased two non-refundable N-fares for a one-way flight DFW-PHX. I believe the fare was $170 and another $10.70 in taxes and fees.

I canceled the tickets online as I will not be needing them.

I want to verify a few aspects of how credit may apply toward a future flight.

I understand there is a $150 change fee. I assume this applies to both tickets. Please tell me if otherwise.

I also understand that to use the $150 credit, I have to call an AAgent on the phone to book my new ticket, thus incurring an additional $25 fee, as there is no other way to use the credit without talking to someone.

I would think that at a minimum I should be entitled to a refund of the $10.70 in taxes and fees (per ticket) that was paid, as I will not be using or receiving any services or facilities and it is not part of the fare but rather a surcharge. The AAgent told me they don't refund these fees, I want to make sure it isn't a case of "call back until you get someone who knows what they are doing." I am no lawyer, but I would think that it would be illegal to charge taxes on a canceled transaction and to charge fees for services not rendered and even more so if AA doesn't end up paying those collected taxes to the entity it's collected for.

So in summary, I assume I have $11.40 in available credit to use toward my next flight within a year of the booking of the canceled ticket. Is that the best I can do?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:36 am

I have not heard of taxes and fees getting refunded. However, when you call back to use the credit for another ticket, it is considered an exchange of ticket with add/collect of additional fare, so no phone ticketing fees should apply.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole value of the ticket (fare + taxes/fee) is stored in the ticket number.

When you are ready to rebook against that value, the $150 change fee is deducted from that value then the balance is applied to your new booking.

I am not certain about the booking fee of the new ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
OK, I need clarification. I booked two tickets and have one PNR and apparently one ticket number. The total was 180.7x2= $361.40.

I am planning to book a $1000+ ticket soon. Will I have $211.40 credit or $61.40 credit?

And about the $25 booking fee... from the replies above I understand if it's a "change" rather than a "new booking" I can avoid the $25 phone booking fee. But once the ticket is canceled am I still "changing" it or am I booking a new itinerary?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by azmojo
OK, I need clarification. I booked two tickets and have one PNR and apparently one ticket number. The total was 180.7x2= $361.40.

I am planning to book a $1000+ ticket soon. Will I have $211.40 credit or $61.40 credit?

And about the $25 booking fee... from the replies above I understand if it's a "change" rather than a "new booking" I can avoid the $25 phone booking fee. But once the ticket is canceled am I still "changing" it or am I booking a new itinerary?
Each ticket has its own change fee, so you will have some 60 dollars left over to be used on your new ticket.

No phone fee will apply for "exchange" of an old ticket for a new one, regardless of whether your old ticket was canceled or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.