Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CoPay for AA Miles Upgrade to Increase 3/1/07

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
looks like the value of my VIP's just increased as of 3/1/07 until at least they put more restrictions on the VIP's.. if they do my guess would be expanding the class codes that you can't use a VIP

No kidding. I guess I'm glad I shot for EXP again, and decided to do the 125K bonus eVIP thing. Of course, now there's this new incentive to "keep" it.

I would agree with others in wondering if fees for using eVIPs are a future possibility. Years ago, one would have never imagined paying these kinds of co-pays for using the miles they earned.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:55 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Hmmm...

$800 HNL r/t plus 30000 miles and another $300 for guaranteed F -or-

$1330 YUP for guaranteed F -or-

$800 HNL r/t and free sticker upgrades as EXP for probable upgrade to F

Actually the decision is real easy for Plat and Gold elites: YUP

Much more difficult for EXP as 8-10 hours is a long time to be stuck in the back if in the off chance the ug doesn't come through. Although this policy shodul mean more availability for sticker upgrades.

hmmm...

For international, glad I got those EVIPs this year. Also, B w/10K ug or I fares seem like a better deal once they run out, or for those that aren't EXP.

With both my wife and myself being EXP, we almost always get upgraded to Maui, but I'd happilly purchased a YUP if I could ever find one for less than $2,000 out of DFW!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:15 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I view this the same way I viewed the original $250 copay on international u/gs. That is, this must be the resut of some market/sensitivity analysis by the counters of beans or their running dogs. Ratio of PO'd Plats v. proles who will pony up... like that. Who does AA's market research? Internal?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Member, (4MM+) Starwood Preferred, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold Plus
AA Stop Nickle & Diming Us!

Dedicated and Loyal Elite members such as us pay their salaries and they shlould be thanking us and not continuing to keep nickle and diming us!

They keep taking amenties away from us and charging for almost everything!

Soon we'll be loading & un-loading our own bags and cleaning the lavs!

My wife and I have sent 4 e-mails to AA to complain about this increase.

Copay was $250 to Europe, soon $300...after that..who knows.

Will this trend ever stop?

OK, that was my venting on AA!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is AAnnoying! How much less in terms of service are they expecting us to take before we take our business elsewhere!! Since upgrades to Europe and Hawaii are both getting extremely expensive, it's even more likely than I'll be suffering in coach instead of upgrading. And can AAnyone claim that AA is better or just as good as others in coach? not for long-haul flights!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bordi20

Will this trend ever stop?

OK, that was my venting on AA!
Yup, as soon as we're willing to accept fares that are something above dirt cheap...but we're never going to accept that

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:43 pm

YA GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME. THIS IS B-S--T!!!

Never paid the $250 one and never gonna pay the $300 one.

Don't pay the co-pay people.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
I was Platinum in 2002,2003,2004,and 2005. Flying 3 times a year to Europe plus other flights. Then came the co pay announcement in the fall of 2004. I had already purchased a ticket to Florida in Jan 05 at the time. I have only been traveling award tickets since the copay took effect. The most revenue they get from me now is the fee they charge for phone assistance on awards. AA bean counters
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:09 pm

Options

Originally Posted by shoodawg
YA GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME. THIS IS B-S--T!!!

Never paid the $250 one and never gonna pay the $300 one.

Don't pay the co-pay people.
At what point do elites even those on this board look at all other options??

To Asia, CX and now possible JL offer better service and priced than AA. They have good discounts to select markets which make the fair, miles and co-pay within 20% of a J fare. Also ... in the additional elite miles and bonuses.

Now to London we have Max jet etc for 1- 2 K. When do people who can or will pay colse consider giving up miles and status flying for money.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by PMMMColonel
At what point do elites even those on this board look at all other options??

To Asia, CX and now possible JL offer better service and priced than AA. They have good discounts to select markets which make the fair, miles and co-pay within 20% of a J fare. Also ... in the additional elite miles and bonuses.

Now to London we have Max jet etc for 1- 2 K. When do people who can or will pay colse consider giving up miles and status flying for money.
I'm at that point bro.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
If my main route was JFK/LHR with no connections, I'd be all over MaxJet at this point.

However my main route is MIA/LHR with connections (ie AA/BA on OneWorld), and I have noticed that the since the $250 co-pay started, demand has been such for the AA J cabin on this route that it has simply got tougher and tougher to use upgrades... even with the $250 copay.

It is simply supply and demand, ladies and gents... after Mar 7, 2000 (when Nasdaq tipped 5,000, marking the end of the stock market bubble), and certainly after 9/11, it was SO easy to use miles to upgrade... I barely ever had to waitlist. Those were the days.

At some point the co-pay will get high enough that it makes sense to buy a B fare and use 20k miles rt instead of 50k miles + $600, but not quite yet.

I hope that the $300 makes it easier to get seats... but I don't think the $50 will make much difference.

As to those getting so righteous and indignant, just remember, AA has only one loyalty, and that is to their shareholders.... so why are they putting up the co-pays ? Because they can Dat's life !
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've never paid the co-pay and I never will. For those who collect AA miles for upgrades, ever since the co-pay went into effect, the miles became less valuable; and they'll become less valuable again with the hikes in the co-pay.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by justageek
I think this is really an attempt to "stick it" to the business traveler. Leisure travelers are more likely to want free tickets (e.g. 90,000 mile J to Europe) than upgrades. Business travelers will expense their coach ticket (most of us are required to buy the cheapest coach ticket when traveling) but are then stuck with 50,000 miles + $600 to upgrade. With this change, a free round-trip J ticket to Europe is 90,000 miles, whereas an upgraded coach ticket to Europe is equivalent to about 125,000 miles (using a fairly conservative conversion of $600 to miles) PLUS to base coach fare!
isnt that the point though? i'm sure they're doing this to set up a justification for increasing the mileage req for a "free" J ticket to europe to "fair value" of 125K on the grounds that it's just plain "unfair" to the upgrade buyer to give it away for less.

and, as we know, aadvantage is all about fairness.....
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:29 pm

I bet this is AA's plan to pay for the new seats.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by badjuju
That is complete and utter bull considering I was required to pay for a more expensive ticket in order to upgrade my flight to Hawaii.
And I'm still trying to get over how UA got a partnership with Singapore Airlines when AA has crap.
Gosh, I can't remember the last time AA filed an O fare to Hawaii...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.