Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CoPay for AA Miles Upgrade to Increase 3/1/07

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
NGBC seats (yes not March 1 rollout but ..)

Duvets

Pre-order meals on Asia flights

Metal Utensils

Cloth towels

Upgraded menus (and 'location specialties')

Chocolates and fizzy water

Gourmet breads

OK I am talking International .. but they HAVE improved things .. onboard things. Not sure what other 'benefits' you are looking for?
Well, when the $250 one-way international co-pay upgrade was introduced, the apologists for that move were claiming it was funding the seat upgrade. So I don't think we're allowed to use the seat upgrade to explain the $50 each-way increase in the price of international upgrades this time around.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
The AAdvantage Upgrade Award Changes link provided here and in the OP has India at 25,000 miles plus $300. A savings of 15,000 miles. Unfortunately it is a mistake.

Also has Japan and India B/Y fare upgrade miles at 10K instead of 15K and 30K repsectively. India J to F at 25K instead of 40K. Even when they are shafting us they can't get their story straight.

We'll see how fast they change their web site after reading the above. Oh, AA lurker slime, please read the following:

Please take your copays and put them where the sun don't shine.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Dec 20, 2006 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
looks like the value of my VIP's just increased as of 3/1/07 until at least they put more restrictions on the VIP's.. if they do my guess would be expanding the class codes that you can't use a VIP
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JGR01
NGBC seats (yes not March 1 rollout but ..)

Duvets

Pre-order meals on Asia flights

Metal Utensils

Cloth towels

Upgraded menus (and 'location specialties')

Chocolates and fizzy water

Gourmet breads

OK I am talking International .. but they HAVE improved things .. onboard things. Not sure what other 'benefits' you are looking for?
They may be considered improvements, but, really these are not things that I would actually pay extra for: I'm fine with plastic utensils and those fakey towels...this is not a restuarant; the food is mediocre at best, so I don't care if the cutlery is as well. Upgraded menus still don't make the food a whole lot better. I still don't actually know what a duvet is or why I want one . The NGBC seats are nice, granted, but flakey and issue-prone. Ok, I love chocolate, but I can get my own, and even take it through security.

To some, there are improvements. To me, they're not that important.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
This is ridiculous. I guess I would use stickers or buy the YUP to Hawaii.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:35 am

Ah, I figured out why AA is increasing the copay. They have to pay for the new coach domestic BOB selections.

Or perhaps the 767-200 upgrades that were announced last week.

Please do not confuse my sarcastic remarks above in any way as an apology for AA. They will have to do that on their own.

I love some of the Q&A they have:

Q: Why don't you just raise the mileage level instead of charging a co-pay?
A: Raising the mileage level would give many members less opportunity since it would require them to have more miles available. Members already have the opportunity to use MileSAAverSM or AAnytime® awards for travel in our premium cabins. The Upgrade Award provides the same opportunity, but at a lower mileage level since it is combined with a revenue ticket. Supplementing that low fare with a co-pay enables members to continue to upgrade for the same amount of mileage they are accustomed to.

Real Answer: We want to make more money.

Q: Why are you requiring a co-pay when I used to be able to use just miles to upgrade to Hawaii?
A: The reality today is that the disparity between Discount and Premium Class fares is too great to be offset by miles alone. The addition of a co-pay allows members to continue to use their miles to upgrade to the next class of service even if they purchase discounted tickets.

If that were the case then why are they not adding a copay to award tickets?

Q: Why are you increasing current co-pays on travel between North America and Europe, India, Japan/Northern China and Deep South America?
A: In the years since these co-pays were introduced, AAdvantage members continue to recognize the value of these awards, and demand generally exceeds the number of upgrade seats available. One of the reasons for introducing co-pays was to make these upgrades accessible to the members who most value them — and were willing to supplement their miles in order to obtain them. Likewise, increasing the co-pay in today's environment will help make Upgrade Awards in the most desirable markets available to the members who are most eager to enjoy them.

The bolded statement above is why they can get away with this. Unfortunately we need to suck it up, or fly another airline. The other airlines aren't much better, and in my case this has little affect. I still don't like it though.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
looks like the value of my VIP's just increased as of 3/1/07 until at least they put more restrictions on the VIP's.. if they do my guess would be expanding the class codes that you can't use a VIP
Oh? There are fare buckets in which you cannot use an eVIP?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Far better than raising mileage requirements, IMO.

Moderators, the title of this thread is really not accurate and, frankly, is confusing as it implies that mileage requirements have increased. Can it be edited to make it more clear?

Great minds think alike. Thanks mods!!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by blondieblue
As far as the co-pay for international upgrades, I agree.. However, it sure has solved a lot of problems for me. There are more seats to upgrade. I don't sit next to the traveler who paid $248 rt from LAX-LHR used their entire bank of miles to get upgraded to business class and then sits there the entire time with a sense of entitlement.
I must be missing something... exactly why is it that someone who uses their miles to upgrade isn't allowed the same sense of entitlement that you are allowed?

It has sifted out the travelers who get it for free verses those who really value the cabin and will pay for it.
Oh yes, let's get rid of the riff-raff who use miles to sit in YOUR class of service...

I didn't and don't like the co-pay for the upgrades but I'm happy that they did it.
You don't like it and you are happy about it. What a confused life it must be.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Now we are nearly reaching "break even" soon...

You cash in 50k miles PLUS 600 bucks (over BuyMiles 25k miles) !

I´ve never been a friend of upgrades with miles with copay and this just confirms my opinion once more
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Well it's a good thing I got my HNL trip done this summer. I had just enough miles to upgrade the 4 of us. But I wouldn't of had an additional $1,200. OUCH!!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by steve32
Oh? There are fare buckets in which you cannot use an eVIP?
No not yet... unless you count certain government/industry/consolidator fares.

the poster was pontificating that eliminating certain fare buckets from eVIP usage would be the next step
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA-2MM EXP
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
$800 HNL r/t plus 30000 miles and another $300 for guaranteed F -or-

$1330 YUP for guaranteed F -or-

$800 HNL r/t and free sticker upgrades as EXP for probable upgrade to F

Actually the decision is real easy for Plat and Gold elites: YUP
Actually, the decision is really easy... Y-up on Continental (or anyone else with better service). What's the use in earning miles/status on AA when you have to pay the same price for a full-Y ticket anyway.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyboyNYC
Actually, the decision is really easy... Y-up on Continental (or anyone else with better service). What's the use in earning miles/status on AA when you have to pay the same price for a full-Y ticket anyway.
FWIW, CO is the only airline with better service to HNL.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
The copay for Hawaii is the dumbest this ever - even their chart does not make much sense considering there's no business class from US-Hawaii. If they want to charge people from Caribbean and Canada $150, assuming those aircrafts have business class, that's one thing.

This is just too slimy for AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.