Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ovenight connections: baggage and boarding pass (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01

On a ticket (the old hand-written days or getting a copy of the ticket at the airport) there is a list of flights.

O SFO - DFW AA1234
X DFW - MIA AA9876

The O = Origination
The X = Connection

I have a compelling desire to play tic tac toe now for some reason.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
thnaks. However I think > 24 hours means stopover.
On the xONEx rules I think <24 hours is transit - anything else is stopover - a very minor distinction but I know of one person caught out by have a flight that left exactly 24 hours after arrival.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Not really the same situation as the OP, but...

I just flew MUC-MAD-JFK on IB, overnighted at JFK and continued on JFK-SFO on AA the next morning. Upon checkin, IB tagged them all the way thru to SFO. However, at JFK, after customs, they would not lot me recheck the bags for the next morning citing security rules, and we had to lug them to the hotel.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:26 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by flymeAAway
Just currious, and I think I know the answer, can you check DFW-LGA-JFK-BDU? In essence, will AA transfer checked bags from LGA-JFK?
That is a DEFINATE no!

LGA-JFK or LHR-LGW or LGA-EWR or DFW-DAL or ... does not allow for automated transfers.

You gotta collect the bag and schlepp it to the new airport where you gotta stand in the checkin line and wait again (or use curb-side or kiosk).
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by simongr
On the xONEx rules I think <24 hours is transit - anything else is stopover - a very minor distinction but I know of one person caught out by have a flight that left exactly 24 hours after arrival.
Fare Rules and Baggage policy are 2 seperate things.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:34 pm

Overnight connection--must I claim baggage?

Book an itin on AA.com that contains an overnight connection in MIA. Will AA check baggage to my destination or will I need to pick it up at MIA? Can't find the info on AA.com.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
I almost never check bags, but if memory serves me well, your bags will be checked all the way to your destination by default. You should be able to ask the TA to check your bags only to MIA if you need to retrieve stuff for your overnight.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On my domestic LIFO connections (Last In First Out) at DFW, ORD, MIA etc. (when I am traveling with my dive gear) I have been required to retrieve my bags on arrival at my RON / overnight destination and and recheck them the following day.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
We recently had an overnight connection in LAX and our luggage was checked-in through to our final destination. However, we did ask the agent to undo it as we needed the bags in LA.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (again!)
I have run into a '10-hour rule'

Had this scenario out of HNL overnighting in LAX before continuing my journey the next day. I wanted AA to keep the luggage overnight, but the check-in agent advised that for connections over 10-hours, the computer won't issue the connecting bag tags. Sounded like a computer limitation as well as policy.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:08 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
AA won't through check if there is more than 8 hours between flights, we found this out the hard way.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Over 8hrs has definitely been my experience with overnight connections; however, I was so worn out once on a connection through MIA that I forgot about a piece of luggage and was forced to go to the AA baggage and pick it up in the morning before the flight. Don't necessarily recommend this strategy seeing as you need to deal with AA Baggage and then re-check the bags anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I met this problem, too, connecting in LHR from ORD to FRA with an overnight in London (the daytime AA flight from ORD to LHR is one of the few connections to FRA not requiring sleeping (or staying awake) on the plane overnight). No one at ORD could give me much of an explanation, and no one could tell me for sure what would happen in LHR--would I be able to immediately re-check the bags with BA before leaving the airport, rather than lugging them into the city and back? Turned out that at LHR I spoke to a baggage attendant and she agreed to watch out for the bags and re-tag them to FRA for the following afternoon's flight--didn't even have to wait for them to come out on the belt! So maybe, if the baggage claim personnel at MIA are as accomodating, you will get the next best thing to having bags checked through.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I have frequent overnights in SEA, arriving on AA at 11 p.m., leaving on AS the next morning at 10:30 a.m., and have always been able to check my bags through.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Originally Posted by ConradMZ
I met this problem, too, connecting in LHR from ORD to FRA with an overnight in London (the daytime AA flight from ORD to LHR is one of the few connections to FRA not requiring sleeping (or staying awake) on the plane overnight). No one at ORD could give me much of an explanation, and no one could tell me for sure what would happen in LHR--would I be able to immediately re-check the bags with BA before leaving the airport, rather than lugging them into the city and back? Turned out that at LHR I spoke to a baggage attendant and she agreed to watch out for the bags and re-tag them to FRA for the following afternoon's flight--didn't even have to wait for them to come out on the belt! So maybe, if the baggage claim personnel at MIA are as accomodating, you will get the next best thing to having bags checked through.
This is unusual. In europe BA will normally hold the bags overnight. It is only in the US I have come across this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.