JFK Checking In 14 hours ahead

Old Nov 23, 06, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
JFK Checking In 14 hours ahead

I'm stopping over for one night at JFK and then flying JFK LHR the following day at 23.45. Rather than skelp my bags from a Manhatten hotel I've decided to overnight at an airport hotel and check in around 8am thus freeing myself of baggage and then spending the day and evening in the city before returning to JFK to fly.
I gather the chances of my bags travelling on an earlier flight are higher-and that's a risk I'm prepared to take as I won't be packing anything vital-however are there any other concerns I should take into the equasion?
The only other one I can think of is if we take a bump (flight is 19 December-close enough to Christmas that flights are already looking busy that day) but have I missed any other potential pitfalls ?
Old Nov 23, 06, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AA permit baggage check-in more than three or four hours before departure? It would be great if the carrier does; I believe that Continental, for example, does not--at least I have been turned down when I have tried to check bags early for an international flight.
Old Nov 23, 06, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
I always thought that AA had a 4 hour maximum for check-in with bags, but if I'm reading correctly, it looks like the OP can check in with self-service 24 hours ahead. It doesn't say anything about not being able to check bags so I assume this would work. Of course, it's late and I didn't read the entire posting, but have a gander:

http://www.aa.com/content/utility/FA...tion_FAQ.jhtml
Old Nov 23, 06, 3:31 am
Original Poster

According to Aadvantage in Dublin I can check in from 2am at JFK (presumably this is 4 hours before their first flight of the day ?) I'm thinking it may be worth an international call to double check this with AA in the US as it may be a more familar question to them than Dublin (who had to go and check it). If anyone has any personal experience of this I'd appreciate the confirmation as the whole point is to save time retreiving the bags and checking in at the airport in the evening so I can go to the theatre that evening before getting a cab to JFK (subject to no snow storms )
I appreciate the replies.
Old Nov 23, 06, 3:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
I don't usually check luggage but it has been reported in this forum that usually you can check bags for any flight same-day. Another possible option is to leave your bags in the AC although I'm not sure how long one is able to do that for. I've dropped off bags early in the morning, flew around the country, and was back to pick them up right before the club closed.

So this brings up the question---Can one leave bags at the AC overnight?
Old Nov 23, 06, 6:06 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by myfrogger
I don't usually check luggage but it has been reported in this forum that usually you can check bags for any flight same-day. Another possible option is to leave your bags in the AC although I'm not sure how long one is able to do that for. I've dropped off bags early in the morning, flew around the country, and was back to pick them up right before the club closed.

So this brings up the question---Can one leave bags at the AC overnight?
This kinda makes an assumption that the AC is pre-security. I am not certain that they will let you bring bags thru security for checking (on airplane or even leaving at a AC). I am not talking about roll-aboards that could fit into the overhead.. I am thinking large checked type bags.

For example at JFK T8 AC is pre-security... not T9.

The ACs are doing this as a courtesy .. I doubt they would want the 'liability' of a bag left overnight. But you could always try.
Old Nov 23, 06, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
You can check your bag in on the morning of your flight.
Old Nov 23, 06, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by duchy
According to Aadvantage in Dublin I can check in from 2am at JFK (presumably this is 4 hours before their first flight of the day ?) I'm thinking it may be worth an international call to double check this with AA in the US as it may be a more familar question to them than Dublin (who had to go and check it).

The ticket counter at JFK is open from 2:30am until 11:00pm (T8), and 2:30am until 10:30pm (T9).

(This schedule is to accomodate the 5-6am domestic and SDQ/SJU flights, as well as the late LHR and deep South America flights--assuming delays happen.)

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...ormation.jhtml
Old Nov 23, 06, 7:52 am
Original Poster

It would be check in not ticket counter I'd be using.
Old Nov 23, 06, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
It would be check in not ticket counter I'd be using.
Same thing in the U.S.
Old Nov 23, 06, 8:39 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
In the friendlier AA Forum at FT .. lets direct the OP to some detailed information provided by AA.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...ralInfo.jhtml; states that Baggage cannot be checked prior to the day of departure. If this is similar 'logic' to AA's One Day AC Pass .. a day is defined not in 24 hour terms but in the actual calendar day. Checking a bag at 11pm the night before will not work but at 12:01am the same day it should work (according to the aa.com web page that the OP may wish to carry for proof if the JFK peoples give them a hard time).
Old Nov 23, 06, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help-I'm going to go ahead and book an airport hotel and check in early the day of the flight-gives me a clear 12 hours in the city without worrying about allowing time to collect bags before going back to JFK.
Old Nov 23, 06, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Rather than skelp my bags from a Manhatten hotel I've decided to overnight at an airport hotel and check in around 8am thus freeing myself of baggage and then spending the day and evening in the city before returning to JFK to fly.
If AA won't let you check your bags, you can always leave them at the hotel's bell stand for the day.
Old Nov 23, 06, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes that's the back up plan but a scenario I'm hoping to avoid as I'd have to allow extra time to collect the bags and baggage check in time in the evening.... so fingers crossed !
Old Nov 23, 06, 5:30 pm

Programs: aa exp
you wont be abel to check your bag before 4 hours for intl flight. i have tryed many times as i work close to mia and like to take the 11pm to GIG trying to drop off my bag and go home for dinner. to return just befor flight

Search this Thread
Search Engine: