Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. I've had the agent go into both accounts on the same call. Usually we upgrade a given trip from one account, and the next trip from the other. Same number of SWUs and just easier to track.

Cheers.
I've had them say they were going into both accounts on the same call, then all the SWUs were pulled from the same account. Apparently, it isn't as easy or as well-known as it might be. I've asked an agent to log off and log onto my wife's account to upgrade her on the same flight, and been told it isn't necessary, she knows how to do this, she proceeds, and a day later found all SWUs were pulled from my account. It only really matters if you are getting down to the end, but the way I described is the only way that I have found to know for sure which account the SWUs will be pulled from.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Still, showing non-zero balances for everyone makes a lot of sense to me. Who knows, could even save AA a few $s too!
Why not even show zero balances for everyone? AA.com could couple that to an explanation of "just earn Executive Platinum status (give link) to put some SWUs on the above line!". The money they earn from the occasional person finding out about a perk they didn't know about before which they follow up on by giving more business to AA would seem to far outweigh the cost of reprogramming the web page to eliminate the special cases where it's shown vs not shown!

(I realize the behind-the-scenes reason for making it visible for everyone would be non-EXP ways of earning them such as MM, which AA may not want to publicize in print, but there's nothing stopping AA from implementing it for one reason but then documenting SWU earning only in the "official" way.)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by thebobmc
This may be drifting off topic, but I always thought one of the "golden rules" of the serious frequent flyer was to hang on to the BP's until your miles had posted.

Or do some of you have so many miles that it just doesn't matter ?
You don't need to send BP's for reporting missing mileage from AA flights.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckn2
They are investigating the issue but I started thinking: there is no real mechanism today to prevent somebody from calling AA, providing a random EXP AAdvantage number, asking for the SWU balance and then requesting an upgrade using it on a certain reservation.
It woudn't be with a "random EXP aadvantage number".
They would at least need your name.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by LMB01
I recently (Dec) used a SWU for a friend and was asked my most recent flight activity also - but nothing as involved as signing a letter.
The Buenos Aires AA ticket office staff request this every single time. I understand the UK/Ireland do the same but I could not be sure.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I have had both problems. When I became EXP for the first time, it showed that I had used an SWU already - it was on a flight to Zurich almost a year before that I was upgraded by a co-worker and the SWU already came out of her account at that time. After a few phone calls, and giving her AA number to Customer Service it managed to get reversed.

Late last year, two SWU's were removed from my account. I thought it was a glitch, as I had already used two, and so gave them a couple of weeks to correct it. It didn't correct, so I called. Apparently two people (with the same last name) got upgraded with SWU's from my account. I told AA that I did not know the people, and I did not authorise this. After some digging around, they could not find a cause, but said that they would credit me back those two SWU's (nice, I know!). They also said that it would take up to 14 business days to go through the process and show up on the website, and if nothing changed in 3 weeks then to contact them again to make sure it went through.

I checked again recently - it took about 2 weeks for them to be reinstated.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Finally, according the agents I spoke to yesterday (including a supervisor at CS) the dept. that reviews more complicated missing SWUs is "quite backed up" right now w/"lots of audits" so it may take up to a week.

The large # missing from my account, + posts in this thread + the supervisor's comment about lots of cases, seems to indicate a significant issue w/the SWU processing.
Or it could just be that with the expiration deadline approaching, lots of EXPs who lost track of their VIPs are calling because they think they should have more than they do .

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I just made EXP for the very first time this year. Once my SWUs posted to my account it showed one used already! I called the EXP desk and they said they would put in a request to return it to my account. Waited about a week and sent an eMail to follow up. I was told it was taken for a flight in Aug 2009 (this is 2011?). Told by CS if I wanted it back I had to pony up 15K miles from my account and a $75 copay. I wrote back I was gifted the SWU by another EXP (I didn't even know he had done it until I couldn't use OLCI). The response was pretty much To Bad... Another call to EXP desk and it was corrected.

It appears all AAdvantage members have a SWU balance, but it only shows up for EXPs. I've asked Web Services to show the balance for everyone whenever it was non-zero. I would have had this problem resolved back in 2009 had I known, but no one ever said anything to me all this time and I'm suppose to just pay up? I don't think so.
I'm confused trying to figure out what you're saying: in 2009 you were upgraded by another EXP using a VIP but didn't know it until you checked-in? Had you asked for the upgrade or was it a complete surprise? And years later when you earned VIPs AA said you owed them mileage plus copay to retroactively pay for the upgrade? Very strange.

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
I have had both problems. When I became EXP for the first time, it showed that I had used an SWU already - it was on a flight to Zurich almost a year before that I was upgraded by a co-worker and the SWU already came out of her account at that time. After a few phone calls, and giving her AA number to Customer Service it managed to get reversed.

Late last year, two SWU's were removed from my account. I thought it was a glitch, as I had already used two, and so gave them a couple of weeks to correct it. It didn't correct, so I called. Apparently two people (with the same last name) got upgraded with SWU's from my account. I told AA that I did not know the people, and I did not authorise this. After some digging around, they could not find a cause, but said that they would credit me back those two SWU's (nice, I know!).
It sounds as though there are two related things that sometimes happen to people: VIPs mistakenly deducted to upgrade others, and VIP counts going negative when upgraded by someone else's VIP. So, it sounds like (a) it is not hard for an AAgent to make a mistake and take VIPs from the wrong account, and (b) VIP counts can go negative.

A few years ago, my international flights tended to be in I, which at that time couldn't be upgraded. So, I often had VIPs that I couldn't use, which I tended to let coworkers use. The combination of multiple people and waitlisted flights quickly became very confusing, and I ended up convinced that I was short a few VIPs. AA audited and came up with a list, but it showed that some flights used VIPs before I'd earned them (whereas I thought they'd used previously-earned ones). Ever since, I keep a spreadsheet that I update whenever I earn or use VIPs, keeping track of the PNR and passenger (which now that I fares are eligible is always myself or my partner).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm confused trying to figure out what you're saying: in 2009 you were upgraded by another EXP using a VIP but didn't know it until you checked-in? Had you asked for the upgrade or was it a complete surprise? And years later when you earned VIPs AA said you owed them mileage plus copay to retroactively pay for the upgrade? Very strange.
Yes, a friend and I were flying out on separate days, but back on the same day. He called EXP Desk to gift me a SWU without telling me. AA miss handled the request and pulled it from my account and having none caused it to go -1 without ever telling me. Then 16 months later I earned 8 SWUs and when I was first able to see SWUs on the web I was 8 earned 1 used 7 available.

Apparently, they do allow accounts to go negative for special occasions (including their messup), but you can't see it unless you are EXP. A simple code change, but we probably won't see it for a while. So when/if I loose EXP next year, I will be calling every few months until they give everyone web access to SWU balances. I suggest other non-EXPs start doing that now to prevent any surprises way down the road.

Also, in closing, the EXP desk did finally resolve the issue, but it took a couple of eMails and phone calls to square it around (for now).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
As long as you have SWUs, you can see them through your account even if you're not EXP. A friend hit 2MM recently and got his LT Plat & 4 SWUs. He can log in to his account and see them on the upgrades segment/tab.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I got a call today saying my upgrade for this weekend cleared but I didn't have any VIP's left. I should have had 4.

After being transferred to 3 people it looks like it's cleared up. Apparently they were applied to someone else's flights this past weekend. The worst part of it was the actually used it on a domestic itinerary

All the AAgents I spoke to were very friendly and apologetic. My return trip they called about has been upgraded however my account still says zero available when there should now be 3.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palermo
A couple of times, I gave friends SWUs and miles. For both, I have to send a signed letter and the copy of my passport which shows my signature.

I would say it is not that easy.
Huh? I just called AA, gave them my number and asked them to apply the SWUs to the flights the person was booked on. They might have asked about my most recent flight, but, doh.... If I had dropped a BP, someone would have known where I traveled to.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:03 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was asked some security questions before upgrading a friend recently. Unfortunately, if a thief had hacked my AA.com account they would have known the answers.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Huh? I just called AA, gave them my number and asked them to apply the SWUs to the flights the person was booked on. They might have asked about my most recent flight, but, doh.... If I had dropped a BP, someone would have known where I traveled to.
It's possible AA applies different procedures to different people in different countries.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
A few years ago, I had an SWU pulled for someone I had never heard of. I called to ask where it went and they reinstated it after mentioning something about a mistake. At any rate, there are so many ways for people to get your personal info nowadays that long ago I accepted the fact that my info will be compromised every once in a while. Same with my credit cards. Just get a new number and move on.

Originally Posted by palermo
A couple of times, I gave friends SWUs and miles. For both, I have to send a signed letter and the copy of my passport which shows my signature.
I've never had to provide such detailed confirmation! If I am on the itinerary also, then there is zero extra confirmation. If I am not on the itinerary, then they just ask a few security questions. As richarddd said, maybe it has something to do with the country of residence of the account holder?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:17 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
well lots of mistakes are made with the evips....but I have not seen anyone mention that they have a password on there account. I know whenever I redeem miles or pull evips I am asked for my password to identify my account and it is not your log in password. I think most of my redemtion accounts,hotels ect have the same set up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.