Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Angry AA also "steals" SWUs from time to time...

I just made EXP for the very first time this year. Once my SWUs posted to my account it showed one used already! I called the EXP desk and they said they would put in a request to return it to my account. Waited about a week and sent an eMail to follow up. I was told it was taken for a flight in Aug 2009 (this is 2011?). Told by CS if I wanted it back I had to pony up 15K miles from my account and a $75 copay. I wrote back I was gifted the SWU by another EXP (I didn't even know he had done it until I couldn't use OLCI). The response was pretty much To Bad... Another call to EXP desk and it was corrected.

It appears all AAdvantage members have a SWU balance, but it only shows up for EXPs. I've asked Web Services to show the balance for everyone whenever it was non-zero. I would have had this problem resolved back in 2009 had I known, but no one ever said anything to me all this time and I'm suppose to just pay up? I don't think so.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
When I have used SWUs to upgrade others I've also been asked questions about my most recent flight activity for verification purposes.
Same with me. (Hey, maybe they just don't trust NYers? )
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It appears all AAdvantage members have a SWU balance, but it only shows up for EXPs.
As a side note, SWU balance does show up for non-EXPs that have SWUs in their account as well. It is probably suppressed for those members once they have used their SWUs, but it does show up when they have them.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Microwave
As a side note, SWU balance does show up for non-EXPs that have SWUs in their account as well. It is probably suppressed for those members once they have used their SWUs, but it does show up when they have them.
Ah yes, I forgot, non-US memebers get SWUs at the MM mark.

Still, showing non-zero balances for everyone makes a lot of sense to me. Who knows, could even save AA a few $s too!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Ah yes, I forgot, non-US memebers get SWUs at the MM mark.
And everyone, US-based members included, gets SWUs at all MM boundaries past 1.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
I had this happen in November, actually. I just happened to notice that I had one fewer SWU than I thought I should have. I called up, and they said I had upgraded someone I'd never heard of.

It took about 10 days, but eventually it was put back. One agent theorized that the upgraded person probably called right I had, and the agent who dealt with her just didn't log out of my account. That seems more than a little odd to me, but there you have it. It seems human error/really bad interface/technical glitch/etc. are likelier explanations than fraud.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond
i am having the same issue. two weeks ago, i moved my flight date up to beat the snow that was due the next day. as a result, they took an extra SWU out of my account. i called aa exp when i returned to have it corrected. it's been over a week but it still has been resolved. i was told that it would take up to 10 days to have it corrected. i hope by me calling yesterday, that won't reset the clock.

on a slight different item -
i noticed yesterday that my account got debited for 25k for an upgrade on 1/25. i called and it turned out that my account was erroneously debited for another person. it was then corrected online yesterday. when i checked my account today, another 25k was taken out on 1/26. i am on the phone with exp and she asked if i knew mr so and so - totally different name from the day before. i don't know what's going on but it's getting ridiculous.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
If you are using a public computer to log into your AAdvantage account, or using an unsecured network, it's possible for someone else to gain access to all the information they'd need. Hopefully this is the only information compromised, and fortunately this is pretty easy for AA to track (vs. bank fraud, which can sometimes be more difficult) since you have someone that has to show up in a physical location, with ID, in order to utilize the stolen upgrades.

I'd have asked that they allow the upgrade to remain in place and have law enforcement agents at the gate waiting for the thief.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Originally Posted by vasantn
The title appears to be overly dramatic. Yes, I've had VIP errors occur at least once a year, and they're always promptly corrected. Nothing new to see here.

And I leave my BPs in the seat pocket all the time. I guess God looks out even more for those of us who are not paranoid enough!
"Shomer Pisoem Hashem"
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had CR1 robbery on my United account five or six years ago. They had no explanation for how it could have happened of course. I'm sorry it happened to you, OP.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JumboD
I'd have asked that they allow the upgrade to remain in place and have law enforcement agents at the gate waiting for the thief.
Any moderately competent thief would try to trade or sell them. It'd still be traceable but not as easily, and in that case the traveler wouldn't be the one who stole them.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by rjw242
Any moderately competent thief would try to trade or sell them. It'd still be traceable but not as easily, and in that case the traveler wouldn't be the one who stole them.
But they could tell you where they bought them. Unlike the sale/barter of SWUs, which is simply a violation of AA's policy, this SWU was obtained through theft, which is illegal. It'll be a lot easier to compel that person to say where they obtained the certificate. With other types of fraud, nobody involved in the chain must show up at a physical location, at a designated time, to profit from the fraud (whether they know it's fraud or not).
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord
One agent theorized that the upgraded person probably called right I had, and the agent who dealt with her just didn't log out of my account.
That seems odd to me also. Normally, when I call in, the machine asks me my AAdvantage number (to route me to the correct agent). When the agent picks up, they know my name, and if I describe an itinerary in general terms (flying in May to Shanghai) they can see it. Apparently, the system passes the AAdvantage number to the agent and logs them into that account.

I do know that if I want to upgrade my wife also, and want the eVIPs for her to pull from her account, I have to tell the agent to only upgrade me, then hang up, call back, give her account number, and then request the upgrade for her.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac

I do know that if I want to upgrade my wife also, and want the eVIPs for her to pull from her account, I have to tell the agent to only upgrade me, then hang up, call back, give her account number, and then request the upgrade for her.
Interesting. I've had the agent go into both accounts on the same call. Usually we upgrade a given trip from one account, and the next trip from the other. Same number of SWUs and just easier to track.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JumboD
But they could tell you where they bought them. Unlike the sale/barter of SWUs, which is simply a violation of AA's policy, this SWU was obtained through theft, which is illegal. It'll be a lot easier to compel that person to say where they obtained the certificate.
Right, but a determined fraudster could make it very difficult to trace (cash transactions, throwaway email address and mobile number, etc). It'd be quite a bit of effort on the thief for a few hundred bucks. On the other hand, law enforcement and the airline would probably consider it too much trouble to investigate if the thief had taken even simple steps to conceal his/her identity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.