Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thebobmc
This may be drifting off topic, but I always thought one of the "golden rules" of the serious frequent flyer was to hang on to the BP's until your miles had posted.

Or do some of you have so many miles that it just doesn't matter ?
Given that one can have BPs emailed when checking in, it's easy to print another one if necessary. And it's rarely necessary.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This may be drifting off topic, but I always thought one of the "golden rules" of the serious frequent flyer was to hang on to the BP's until your miles had posted.

Or do some of you have so many miles that it just doesn't matter ?
I hang on to partner BPs. I don't ever expect to have a problem with AA if I actually took the flight. In the end I'm sure they will give me credit with or without a BP; not that I've ever had to test that.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold
This was US airways:

I've booked flights using someones miles before (with their permission of course), and at no stage did they want any details apart from the dividend miles number the miles were to come from.

No common surname or anything !!!

I even offered to conference the other party in so they could confirm address / phone / DOB but the agent didn't want that to happen.

:-O
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, I've had VIP errors occur at least once a year, and they're always promptly corrected.
Originally Posted by Artur
After putting me on hold, it took less than 2 minutes, without any further ado or explanation but with an apology and my SWU was redeposited in my account by next day.
I am now in trouble to get back 1 eVIP to my A/C
It is simple mistake by AA as they pulled 2 eVIP for my NYC-DFW-XYZ(all on same day,so only 1 eVIP is enough).
Last week I found one eVIP missing and called EXP desk.
EXP agent agreeded their mistake and promised AA redeposit 1 eVIP to my A/C. Nothing happened
So I did another call to EXP desk. Same story as the agent agreeded their mistake but nothing happened again
This week I emailed to AA and they replied to me that they would start investigate this issue
Today I called EXP desk again and hopefully I met proper EXP agent finally. So far my eVIP balance has not been corrected...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
It is simple mistake by AA as they pulled 2 eVIP for my NYC-DFW-XYZ(all on same day,so only 1 eVIP is enough).
EXP agent agreeded their mistake and promised AA redeposit 1 eVIP to my A/C. Nothing happened
So I did another call to EXP desk. Same story as the agent agreeded their mistake but nothing happened again
This week I emailed to AA and they replied to me that they would start investigate this issue
Today I called EXP desk again and hopefully I met proper EXP agent finally. So far my eVIP balance has not been corrected...
Why not contact AAdvantage customer service?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
AA has two different record keeping systems for SWUs, and the one we are able to see on aa.com doesn't update in real time. Call Customer Service (already suggested by another poster) they can access the other system and should be able to confirm whether or not the missing upgrade has been returned to the acct.

My aa.com SWU balance is also incorrect, off by 5 (!!!!). The EXP desk can only do certain things in this case. They can sometimes figure out where the missing SWU is (one of mine was easy to determine: it was pulled for a flight later canceled for weather) and start the process to return it to the acct. The others require add'l research.

Finally, according the agents I spoke to yesterday (including a supervisor at CS) the dept. that reviews more complicated missing SWUs is "quite backed up" right now w/"lots of audits" so it may take up to a week.

The large # missing from my account, + posts in this thread + the supervisor's comment about lots of cases, seems to indicate a significant issue w/the SWU processing.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 27, 2011 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: EXP- finally
+1 on shredding and protecting identity

this software

http://www.worldmate.com/

or this will keep your ticket number in case miles/segs dont post

http://www.tripit.com/
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
A couple of times, I gave friends SWUs and miles. For both, I have to send a signed letter and the copy of my passport which shows my signature.

I would say it is not that easy.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When I have used SWUs to upgrade others I've also been asked questions about my most recent flight activity for verification purposes. How could someone really know that information unless they have been given access by the flyer to their AAdvantage account (in other words finding a BP left on an a/c would not do.)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by palermo
A couple of times, I gave friends SWUs and miles. For both, I have to send a signed letter and the copy of my passport which shows my signature.

I've never had to do anything that substantial, simply verify name, account address, etc...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
When I have used SWUs to upgrade others I've also been asked questions about my most recent flight activity for verification purposes.
+1 Happened that way a few weeks ago. Two or three questions as I recall.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
When I have used SWUs to upgrade others I've also been asked questions about my most recent flight activity for verification purposes. How could someone really know that information unless they have been given access by the flyer to their AAdvantage account (in other words finding a BP left on an a/c would not do.)
Well, considering the most common password is "123456" (followed by "12345", "123456789", and "password"), certain AAdvantage accounts might not be that hard to hack into. Especially if you know, from the fact that they leave boarding passes lying around, that the account owner isn't particularly security conscious.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by palermo

When I have used SWUs to upgrade others I've also been asked questions about my most recent flight activity for verification purposes.
I recently (Dec) used a SWU for a friend and was asked my most recent flight activity also - but nothing as involved as signing a letter.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LMB01
I recently (Dec) used a SWU for a friend and was asked my most recent flight activity also - but nothing as involved as signing a letter.
Exactly the same here. "Where did you fly most recently."

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:58 am

Yesterday I took a SWU from my husband's account to upgrade someone else (so three different last names involved) and I was only asked for my husband's account address. But the account address might be a better question than last flight taken because if someone picks up a boarding pass and tries to get a SWU quickly they probably have the last flight taken right there on the boarding pass along with the name and account number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.