Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Wow, who would have guessed that there was so much overlap between frequent flyer geeks and Monty Python geeks?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheKnife
This thread is interesting because I have an extra EVIP that I shouldn't have.
That's more likely a case of your having used an EVIP and not having it deducted. I've had that happen a couple of times. Typically, the 'someone else used mine" scenario is not about an extra in the account, but incorrect keying, as noted. Enjoy your good fortune .

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swag
Wow, who would have guessed that there was so much overlap between frequent flyer geeks and Monty Python geeks?
After having been among 150 or so FTers at the London Do, I have no trouble believing this. Many were discussing seeing/going to see Spamalot in the West End. Then again, I started that part of the thread

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
Good luck on getting that VIP back, jkirsch - and please let us know how this resolves.

Last week I transferred a VIP to another's PNR, and the AAgent asked me several "security questions" (I'm loath to state what those questions were on a public forum, however.) I can't say I minded one bit. ^
Just checked back with EXP desk today and the missing VIP has been restored
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Goodonya, and thanks for letting us know! ^

Originally Posted by jkirsch
Just checked back with EXP desk today and the missing VIP has been restored
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
EVIP balance incorrect - missing 2 EVIPs

I noticed earlier this week that my EVIP balance shows two fewer than it should. I contacted customer service and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with an agent who "thinks" she saw a problem accounting for one and maybe two of the missing EVIPs. She said she would submit to whichever department checks that out and can reinstate.

Two days later, no response and no communication. I called customer service again and had to explain everything again since there were no notes or a record of my call. Another 15 minutes gone... I was promised a call back. Nothing. I called again this evening - another 30 minutes, though this time the lady on the phone was sure that there was no mistake and that everything looked correct. She said she could get me a report of my EVIP usage but that it would take a week.

This is pretty ridiculous. How hard can it be for them to verify how many I have used? All the while, I've promised one of the upgrades to a friend and I cannot make good on that, thanks to AA. According to the first lady I spoke with, it sounded like they may have applied 3 EVIPS to one direction of travel on a PNR on which I only flew two segments and on which I was the only traveler. How does that even happen?!

Any ideas or experiences with this from the AA FT crowd? Suggestions as to how to handle it or get this sorted out quickly?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
It took them about a month and a half to get it done for me. One call where I was assured it was solved. Then a couple of emails.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:29 pm

I had a similar experience.. It took one week and an email and everything solved.. Incidentally get the name of the agent you spoke with and ask for that agent in particular.. This worked for me
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Yeah, my wife and I made the mistake of using four EVIPS on an Aairpass booking. Apparently, people at AA don't know how to process that combination, and we would up having 6 EVIPs pulled instead of the correct four (and it was darn near 8). It also made check in (both coming and going) take forever, and the TA thought in both cases that more EVIPs needed to be pulled.

I spent an hour or so on the phone on multiple occasions. Every time I talked to AA, I was assured we would get the missing EVIPS back, but I'm pretty sure we actually never got them. Although, who knows? This was all before you could track EVIP balance on-line, so maybe my count was off.

I learned my lesson, don't use EVIPS on Aairpass bookings!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
A few weeks back it took me a single phone call for the AAgent who answered my call to recite an itemized, accurate list of my eVIP usage.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:49 pm
oec

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. My EVIP balance showed up as -1. I called and the agent I spoke to was able to pull up all of the flights that I used EVIPs on for the year, and they found that an EVIP had been pulled for some other guy on the same flight Mr. oec and I were on! As I'd never heard of the guy and it had obviously been pulled from my account in error, they fixed the issue and my balance updated online within a few days.

So, basically, my advice is to call back until you get the right answer.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
A few weeks back it took me a single phone call for the AAgent who answered my call to recite an itemized, accurate list of my eVIP usage.
Was this a call to customer service or to the EXP desk? My first call was to the EXP desk, but the agent routed me to customer service. Thus, for all subsequent calls, I've asked to speak to CS thinking that the EXP desk would not be able to help.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by bpauker
Was this a call to customer service or to the EXP desk? My first call was to the EXP desk, but the agent routed me to customer service. Thus, for all subsequent calls, I've asked to speak to CS thinking that the EXP desk would not be able to help.
Adjustments/corrections seem to need to go through CS.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Very strange, and coincidntally, I just had the same experience. About 10 days ago, 2 EVIPs were pulled from my account. I luckily noticed this when I was checking my balance for an upcoming trip.

So, I called, and after some research, they determined the 2 EVIPs were pulled by mistake (from my account when another passenger called in to request eVIPS from their account).

Here's the story:

I had called in on the day they were accidentally pulled (to ask a question about a pending upgrade). Apparently, every now and then, agents forget to clear the screen from a prior caller. Therefore, my information was up, and the EVIPs were pulled incorrectly (I have to say that I find it surprising such a mistake can happen, and that they wouldn't be 100% sure the names match).

It's been about 7 days since I called and was told it would be fixed and it hasn't been. I spoke with one of my favorite AAgents today and she said she would follow up and Monday and try to get the missing EVIPs reinstated right away. I had to call about 3 different times to find out what was going on, and there was no follow-up.

This was a very surprising and disappointing situation, especially since the mistake is clearly on AA for this. You think they would want to fix it and reassure the customer that it's fixed as soon as possible. Hopefully Monday I'll have some good news that it's been corrected.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Deleted

Last edited by britenbsas; Nov 14, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.