Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I actually have what I thought was an extra SWU!

I was afraid of what I've read about on here with the upgrade showing availability, using it and then retroactively having one taking away months later so I did the unthinkable and called AAdvantage customer service to ask about it. Best we can figure out is that an upgrade at the gate last year was on Op Up instead of an upgrade. Whether it was done on purpose or was an agent mistake I have no idea. I was told enjoy my good fortune because there's nothing they can do and they noted my account in case there's a future problem.

It feels really nice to come out ahead for once!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by BigBopper
I actually have what I thought was an extra SWU!

I was afraid of what I've read about on here with the upgrade showing availability, using it and then retroactively having one taking away months later so I did the unthinkable and called AAdvantage customer service to ask about it. Best we can figure out is that an upgrade at the gate last year was on Op Up instead of an upgrade. Whether it was done on purpose or was an agent mistake I have no idea. I was told enjoy my good fortune because there's nothing they can do and they noted my account in case there's a future problem.

It feels really nice to come out ahead for once!
Also nice that you've been cleared to use it in good conscience.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Someone using my SWUs

Odd situation this morning. I logged into my account and noticed my SWU balance was one lower than it should be. I called the EXP desk and after getting passed around they inform me that someone who i didn't know has used one of my upgrades for a flight they're taking this weekend. AA is going to look into it -a process that takes 3 business days. Meanwhile this person is likely going to get to fly using my upgrade. Has anyone seen this happen before? AA made it seem like it was likely a result of a typographic error but with so few advantage accounts actually having eVIP balances, I am a bit skeptical. I'm worried that my account may have been hacked or someone grabbed my advantage number off an old boarding pass that I left on a plane. Am I being paranoid?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
IIRC, sometimes the previous persons profile isn't cleared. So, the next person that called might have asked for an SWU and it pulled from your account.

AA should be able to reinstate it without issue.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Recent thread merged with existing discussion of same topic Thanks /Moderator

Yes, "unauthorised use" of SWUs does occur every once in a while. If you look upthread at others' experiences, you'll see that it does tend to be resolved, though some resolution occurs quickly and some a bit longer.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, AA should be able to reinstate your SWU once they are convinced you didn't authorize it's use. AA has no trouble charging the SWU to the person flying and setting their balance negative for years until they by chance make EXP or earn an SWU later.

A few years back they failed to process a gifted SWU. I was not EXP at the time. I wasn't aware of the issue until I did make EXP and they showed one SWU used. It took some effort and some slight of hand by EXP desk, but I did get it back.

It's wise to keep an eye on all FF/G accounts. If the agent forgets to clear their screen before taking the next call, the next transaction may post to your account.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rikramer
Odd situation this morning. I logged into my account and noticed my SWU balance was one lower than it should be. I called the EXP desk and after getting passed around they inform me that someone who i didn't know has used one of my upgrades for a flight they're taking this weekend. AA is going to look into it -a process that takes 3 business days. Meanwhile this person is likely going to get to fly using my upgrade. Has anyone seen this happen before? AA made it seem like it was likely a result of a typographic error but with so few advantage accounts actually having eVIP balances, I am a bit skeptical. I'm worried that my account may have been hacked or someone grabbed my advantage number off an old boarding pass that I left on a plane. Am I being paranoid?
If it is unauthorized, AA should be able to immediately prevent the person from flying, or at least block the upgrade, if the person is really using your account without permission. If it is a simple error, then AA should be able to do that before the event occurs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.