Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
This time you need to tell EXP agent that it is 2nd time on this issue and ask Advantage customer service SUPERVISOR to be involved and talk with them.
Based on my experience, AA CS looks have an ultimate responsibility on this issue.

I never failed to get my eVIPs back to my AC.
Similar experience here. I received my very first eVIPs this year - and 3 had already been deducted. EXP folks quickly determined it was an error and they were very apologetic but they told me only CS could fix it - which meant I had to wait until I could call during business hours. Took 3-4 days total to resolve, got a nice apology email, no complaints.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I think this situation is more common than many think and it recently happened to me. It took a few calls and a week or so for the EXP desk to sort it out and I've learned to keep a closer eye on my account since then.

Keep calling!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by wrcraig
I would like to think that not only a reinstatement of the EVIP is in order but also a fairly significant amount of compensation as well (almost certainly in points, I get that), especially considering the potentially thousands of dollars in value that a single EVIP represents. Therefore I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience so I can draw upon that. Thank you.
I ask for 25,000 miles every time AA makes a mistake that results in me having the stress of making a phone call.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
OP: This is a simple mistake. Over time, it may even get corrected by itself, but to be sure you should call the EXP desk. Just say there is a discrepancy in your evip count and you want it corrected. That's it.

Don't get into your theories about how or why that agent did it, or if you are due any compensation, or just how heartless and incompetent AA is, etc. No harm has happened to you. It is just an accounting error.

BTW, just before calling, check your account to be sure. Just in case.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I agree with most regarding the way to fix and that there is not compensation due at all but the AA SWU tracking mechanism online sucks and would probably eliminate a lot of calls if it were better.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I agree with most regarding the way to fix and that there is not compensation due at all but the AA SWU tracking mechanism online sucks and would probably eliminate a lot of calls if it were better.
...because United's is better?

I had an extra SWU pulled on a trip last month. I noticed about 2 days after the trip ended. I called, they told me which flights they were used on, I explained that was impossible (BRU-JFK was being used the next day, right after the JFK-LAX segment that was also on the itinerary had landed), I got my SWU back the next day.

Overall 3 minutes. Deserving of valuable compensation? No.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Just stumbled on the fact that I have a SWU deducted from my account which I had not used. AA can't do anything about it until CS returns to work on Wednesday.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I just became ExecPlat yesterday, I logged in today and its already showing 1 used. I have no travel at all booked on AA at the moment. Maybe a technical glitch.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I just became ExecPlat yesterday, I logged in today and its already showing 1 used. I have no travel at all booked on AA at the moment. Maybe a technical glitch.
More likely you were running a negative balance from a prior agent mistake (could have been from years ago) so you've got some rectifying to now do with AA. Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Originally Posted by sukn
More likely you were running a negative balance from a prior agent mistake (could have been from years ago) so you've got some rectifying to now do with AA. Good luck!
I've had this happen to me. AA error in processing a gifted SWU was two years before I became EXP and NO NOTICE from AA. They will let your account go negative and snatch any that show up years later. I think they should allow everyone see their SWU balance regardless of status to prevent these issues, at least those that are non-zero.

It took several calls, including from the EXP that gifted the SWU. And even then the CSR would not budge. Insisted the flight was flown and needed to be paid. Called the EXP desk and they made the adjustment and it went away without notice. EXP AAgent knew it was an error and did the research to prove it, but whoever I first talked to refused to allow the correction to stand. Finally, EXP AAgent just gifted me an additional SWU and gave up trying to correct the error.

Good luck getting this fixed and stand firm!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by salfcl
Just stumbled on the fact that I have a SWU deducted from my account which I had not used. AA can't do anything about it until CS returns to work on Wednesday.
Do you need to use it before Wednesday? Remember that you even after you apply an SWU to a flight, the balance doesn't adjust until it's ticketed, so the EXP desk should be able to work with you on this. Or do you mean you just want it fixed immediately because we're all used to instant gratification? Even when you do reach an AAdvantage Customer Service agent, in my experience it can take a couple of weeks for the someone to audit the account and correct the error. Even then it may take some back and forth. But so what? Unless you need the SWU immediately it shouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It took several calls, including from the EXP that gifted the SWU. And even then the CSR would not budge. Insisted the flight was flown and needed to be paid. Called the EXP desk and they made the adjustment and it went away without notice. EXP AAgent knew it was an error and did the research to prove it, but whoever I first talked to refused to allow the correction to stand. Finally, EXP AAgent just gifted me an additional SWU and gave up trying to correct the error.
I've on occasion run into an especially difficult AAdvantage CSR, but usually waiting a few days then calling back and speaking to someone else fixes it. I am confused though as to how an EXP AAgent could grant you an SWU, gifted or not. My understanding was that only certain agents had the authority to do so, those were in AAdv. CS or the "Executive Office" and needed to properly document why they were granting extra SWU.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:54 am

Not in a hurry at all. I wouldn't even know of the error in my SWU if not for my curiosity while making a flight booking.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by anabolism
...I've on occasion run into an especially difficult AAdvantage CSR, but usually waiting a few days then calling back and speaking to someone else fixes it. I am confused though as to how an EXP AAgent could grant you an SWU, gifted or not. My understanding was that only certain agents had the authority to do so, those were in AAdv. CS or the "Executive Office" and needed to properly document why they were granting extra SWU.
Yes, this is my experience too. Some act as though the correction will be charged to their paycheck and therefore should not be allowed. In this particular case, the CSR refused to research what happened and insisted someone has to pony up a current SWU and the fact that I was allowed to fly up front two years earlier without them having done the proper processing was not her concern.

Apparently, I lucked upon a very knowledgeable EXP AAgent that was willing to do the research and determine it was an AA error and there was a SWU offered up (since expired). I saw the correction to my account for a couple of days and then it went away again. I called back, left a message, and a few days later there was a second line showing one SWU added to my account. How she did it, who was involved, I'm not sure.

Had AA.com showed me I had a negative balance following the flight, I would have had it resolved right then while their records where current. By the time I found out, too much time had passed for them to see who did what.

I suggest anyone that does not have access to their SWU balance (and everyone has one) and ever had a gifted SWU, should call AA to have them check to see if they have gone negative.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I called back, left a message, and a few days later there was a second line showing one SWU added to my account. How she did it, who was involved, I'm not sure.
My guess is she got someone in AAdvantage CS or the "executive office" to add an SWU to fix your balance. That happened to me a few years back when I was short an SWU due to an error on an agent's part (discovered much later when I was at the airport trying to check in).

Had AA.com showed me I had a negative balance following the flight, I would have had it resolved right then while their records where current. By the time I found out, too much time had passed for them to see who did what.
I completely agree, and ever since I learned that AA allows accounts to go negative, I thought AA should display the online balance to anyone who is either (a) EXP or (b) has a non-zero balance (positive or negative). Of course, the online system doesn't actually show negative balances anyway, as I learned recently when I was negative for a few months.

I suggest anyone that does not have access to their SWU balance (and everyone has one) and ever had a gifted SWU, should call AA to have them check to see if they have gone negative.
Good advice.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:23 am

My case of a missing SWU is still under investigation by CS. They seem to indicate that I had a negative SWU from a flight in 2009; a friend had gifted me the SWUs for that trip.

That year, I was a Plat, so it is rather strange that they would upgrade me when there was no SWU in my account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.