Poor service at LAX EXP check-in counter

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Poor service at LAX EXP check-in counter

LAX airport. Just before 5 am on a Monday morning. 2 AAgents working EXP checkin counter. Both are busy with pax. Spouse and I are the only two people in the queue.

As each AAgent finishes their current pax, each looks down at their computer screen and type-type-type. Then each glances up, notices us as the only two pax in line, then looks down and continues to type-type-type.

I got the impression each AAgent was stalling and hoping the other AAgent would be the first to call "next". Whoever stalls the longest wins extra goof-off time.

Spouse and I walk up to nearest AAgent, who does not even look up to acknowledge us. After a few seconds she looks up from her typing and says "May I help you?". I say "we'd like to check in please".

<Editorial Note: why else would we be there?>

Spouse hands AAgent her photo ID. AAgent asks which flight are you on. Spouse doesn't know, so she turns to ask me. I say to the AAgent "the 6 am flight to DFW". AAgent checks in spouse. I'm standing right next to spouse, right in front of AAgent. AAgent hands spouse her BPs. Spouse walks away from counter with BPs in hand.

I'm still standing in front of AAgent. She looks down at her computer screen and type-type-type. Other EXP checkin AAgent does not have a customer in front of him and has not had a customer during all this time. He says nothing. He won the goof-off lottery by default, so he's zoned out. The whole scene is surreal. Finally the AAgent I'm standing right in front of looks up at me and says one word: "Yes?".

I reply "I would like to check in please". She says "where you are traveling to today?". I reply "I am the other passenger in the two-passenger reservation you just processed". She says "that's nice, but where are you traveling to today?".

I'm slightly peeved. People normally go to a checkin counter for exactly one reason: TO CHECK THE HELL IN! It's totally normal for a husband and wife to arrive at the airport together, stand in line together and check in together. This was the dedicated EXP check-in desk at a seriously major airport, fer cryin' out loud. What gives this lady the right to give me such a hard time?

I mostly held my tongue, but I did let it slip that I do travel often, and I've never seen two passengers arrive together, stand in line together, approach the counter together, yet the AAgent checks in only one of the two. What's up with that? She replied "well, we can't read your mind.".

I don't get it. I'm there to check in. It's the EXP counter. I'm EXP. Why in the world won't the AAgent simply check me in? And just what are they typing during all the time they're supposed to be checking in Executive Platinum customers?

Has anyone else encountered such snottiness at the LAX EXP checkin counter? I'm trying to give the AAgent the benefit of a doubt. Maybe I suddenly became invisible and inaudible and maybe the AAgent honestly didn't see or hear me? Weeeeeird!

Last edited by CloudCoder; Nov 2, 2006 at 11:30 pm
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:36 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Feeling Invisible

This is one of my biggest peeves. Maybe the agent was finishing up the previous passenger, but would it kill him/her to simply acknowledge your presence with an "I'll be right with you, sir."
Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:36 am

It is certainly not unheard of for EXP's to take their partners to the airport and wait with them on line to get them checked in on the first class line / exp line. I know I have done this before.

Perhaps this is what the agent thought was going on.... This doesnt excuse but perhaps would explain her attitude - since technically your partner was not EXP and therefore isnt entitled to use that line...
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:02 am

I subscribe to the philosophy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Assuming you had time, I would have asked the agent to call the supervisor so that you could talk to him. If not, I would have taken down her name/date/time and told her to get her story straight because you would be sending a letter of complaint to AA.

This is a ridiculous situation to experience in the First Class check-in line.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
That is ridiculous customer service, and typical of LAX - every airline I have ever flown, from Terminal 1 through the pit of TBIT and around to Terminal 8. Sorry to hear that you were treated this way.

However, the one glimmer of hope I have had at LAX has been the EXP line at AA, where they seem to be positive and customer-service-oriented, so I am sad to hear that they seem to have gotten the bug too.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 4M
The first line explains everything..

I think it was 5am on a Monday morning.. Probably both the agent and you were a little tired.. I do agree they can be snippy - but I've found one person in the AC at LAX who is heavenly. PM me if you want the name.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
People have off times and off days - even we do, I suspect. I think e can make it easier for others to do their job and treat us as we like to be treated by initiating. I've used, with a smile and a lightened tone, "Good morning! Which of you gets to be sandbagged with some wore work?" or the like. It casues them to look up with a bit of surprise, gets the adrenaline flowing a bit an usualy gets some interaction - which continues in a lighter, more friendly vein both ways.

The way I figure it is, why should I allow myself to be a victim of someone's indifference because they are afternoon people working early morning, etc. or merely having a bad day? IME, being conscious and initiating goes a long way toward framing what may happen next.

I'm not lecturing here, merely sharing an observation - because I don't like being treated like Executive Dirt any moe than the OP...
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Do the agents have Internet browsing capability from their terminals?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
First, I don't work for AA so I have no direct knowledge of this incident. And, I am not going to excuse what the agents allegedly did or did not do.

It has been my experience that some PAX traveling at that time of day are carried over from the previous day and may have problems with their Res. How do you know that the agents were not adding documentation to their PNRs as a follow up so that the PAX doesn't get denied boarding at the gate or a connecting flight?

Although the previous PAX may applaud the agents for being thorough, you've just bashed the agent for taking their time and ignoring you.

Lastly, you would not believe what people expect agents to know. As hard as it maybe to believe, agents are not mind readers. Not everyone at the airport who approaches a desk is a PAX.

I applaud you for being patient and waiting in line. I'm sorry that you feel you were neglected; you have every right to write and complain to AA.

[OK flame suit on, cuz I know I'm gonna hear it now...]

P.S.

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Do the agents have Internet browsing capability from their terminals?
If theirs is anything like our version of sabre...yes they do.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
QUOTE: Spouse hands AAgent her photo ID. AAgent asks which flight are you on. Spouse doesn't know, so she turns to ask me. I say to the AAgent "the 6 am flight to DFW". AAgent checks in spouse. I'm standing right next to spouse, right in front of AAgent. AAgent hands spouse her BPs. Spouse walks away from counter with BPs in hand.

Why did you not hand your photo ID to the Agent at this time also, if you knew you were both on the reservation.... As an EXP you should know they would require both ID's if travelling together. Seems like the agent went through the entire check-in procedure before you even offered yours up to her.

Last edited by JAppelbee; Nov 3, 2006 at 2:44 pm
Old Nov 3, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JAppelbee
QUOTE: Spouse hands AAgent her photo ID. AAgent asks which flight are you on. Spouse doesn't know, so she turns to ask me. I say to the AAgent "the 6 am flight to DFW". AAgent checks in spouse. I'm standing right next to spouse, right in front of AAgent. AAgent hands spouse her BPs. Spouse walks away from counter with BPs in hand.

Why did you not hand your photo ID to the Agent at this time also, if you knew you were both on the reservation.... As an EXP you should know they would require both ID's if travelling together. Seems like the agent went through the entire checking procedure before you even offered yours up to her
I might suggest "Hi, we'd like to check in for our flight". Who knows what the agent was doing, but it was likely work related and not internet browsing. I'd day they could have done better and "guest service focus" and the passenger could have done as I mentioned to check in together.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Not excusing the curt service, but "AAgent checks in spouse. I'm standing right next to spouse, right in front of AAgent. AAgent hands spouse her BPs. Spouse walks away from counter with BPs in hand."

Maybe when your spouse walked away, the AAgent assumed you weren't together?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
However, the one glimmer of hope I have had at LAX has been the EXP line at AA, where they seem to be positive and customer-service-oriented, so I am sad to hear that they seem to have gotten the bug too.
Well, I used to think that when it was just the EXP line, but now that they have combined "First" with it, it is nowhere near as pleasant as it used to be.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Check in and security at LAX really seems like a zoo.

But, last weekend, in the long security line, one gentlemen told a TSA walking by that his flight was coming up and he wasn't sure he would make it. She whisked him away somewhere. Then, noting I myself could be in a very similar situation if that line didn't get moving soon, asked the same TSA the same question. She pulls me out of line and walks me to the far left side of the security entrance where there is another line, with practically no one in it. I'm not sure I would have even noticed it was there and she said no one hardly uses it.....obviously, considering the crowds just inches away.

Also, noted the hordes at the Self-Service Kiosks. (couldn't print up BP at hotel..their printer was broken). Then, just as I was about to resign myself to a long wait to print this up, I noticed that under the "First Class" escalator (that goes up to secuirty) were two self-service kiosk machines that no one was using. Suhweeet.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:50 am

Programs: Various
Also, noted the hordes at the Self-Service Kiosks. (couldn't print up BP at hotel..their printer was broken). Then, just as I was about to resign myself to a long wait to print this up, I noticed that under the "First Class" escalator (that goes up to secuirty) were two self-service kiosk machines that no one was using. Suhweeet.

There's a Check In kiosk hidden on the far left side (facing check in counters) on the Business Class/First Class/Elite Lines/Qantas side of the check in area somewhat of a dark corner there. Another note I'll add is that if you get stuck during check in....seek out and find one of the AA reps with the Red jacket for information etc., They have been most helpful to me during a few dire moments of need.

One last commentary, I noticed that late at night (9-11pm) these check in lines get moved around a bit and I noticed a majority of what is normally Business Class check in becomes check in for "specific flights" I think I saw "SAL" Check in ONLY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.