F meal: What to expect on AA1294 MIA-ATL?

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
F meal: What to expect on AA1294 MIA-ATL?

MIA-ATL flight 1294 departs at 6:10pm (within dinner window), AND it's listed as a 2hr 5min flight (longer than the 1:45m rule on AA.com), YET it is listed on aa.com as N/A meal.

Is this an error? what should I expect on this flight? specially now with all the recent changes...
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Considering it's listed as no meal, and the flight really isn't 2 hrs and 5 minutes long, I would bring something.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yup. Expect nothing.

Cheers.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
You might get some warm nuts.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:31 pm

I seriously doubt there is a meal; and if by some slim chance there is, it would be a very light one at that!

Peace!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
"You'll get nothing, and like it." Judge Smails.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Yep...did the MIA-ATL trip two weeks ago. The flight is definitely not 2 hrs long and therefore you get a drink and bag of nuts if you want.

Short flight...one magazine will suffice the entire flight!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
Short flight...one magazine will suffice the entire flight!
Don't get me wrong, I agree there is really no need for a meal in this short flight... my point is, according to the "rules" published by AA, this flight should have a meal, and it doesn't. This is certainly misleading, at least for not-so-frequent flyers out there, probably the published 1:45 rule should be changed to a more "real" number...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:48 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The food vendors in MIA are really POOR . Pizza hut and Chili's takeaway... tho not too sure of the C concourse where your flight is supposed to leave (A and D and E are not good).

I normally would recommend eating at the AC prior to your short flight .. but even the MIA AC's have a more limited menu than other AC's. They tend to be soup and burger-thing (almost truck stop reheat burgers) compared to the grilled sandwiches in DFW and the nice salads in ORD and the good soup in YYZ.

While it may be splitting hairs .. the AA.com web page says:
First Class Complimentary Food Service
Complimentary food service is offered in First Class on all markets systemwide that have flying times over 1 hour and 45 minutes and operate within traditional meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) windows. Generally, a snack service will be provided on flights greater than 2˝ hours outside meal windows.

NOTE the concept of Flying Time vs what the OP is using as departure and arrival time. Flying time would be more the wheels-up to wheels-down concept .. whereas departure to arrival would be push back, taxi, flying, taxi and gate arrival.

As a comparison, I fly MSP-ORD frequently. They flying time (when the captain does the PA) is anywhere from 45 minutes to 59 minutes. The departure to arrival time is 1 hour 20 minutes.

Given a 20 minute lee-way at least, the MIA-ATL departure-arrival time is listed anywhere from 1 hour 50 minutes to 2 hours 5 minutes (assume the longer time is more ground traffic and taxi issues). Therefore the flying time would be about 1 hour 30 minutes so AA gets away with the NA meal!

I know kinda cheeky of them .. but AA is following their own rules of flight time! I mean the meal-window can be five minutes off on a flight . and no meal! They gotta draw the line somewhere (nowdays!).

Enjoy the meals in MIA. The AC told me that the 'best' places to eat (tho expensive) were outside security.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
NOTE the concept of Flying Time vs what the OP is using as departure and arrival time. Flying time would be more the wheels-up to wheels-down concept .. whereas departure to arrival would be push back, taxi, flying, taxi and gate arrival.
This makes sense! Thank you for the explanation, I guess it's the kind of thing that non-FTers would never figure out on their own...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.