FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Begins Through-Ticketing at DAL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/613565-aa-begins-through-ticketing-dal.html)

drtdk Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm

AA Begins Through-Ticketing at DAL

According to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram, AA "planned to begin offering one-stop tickets from Love Field through St. Louis beginning Monday night, a spokesman said.

[...]

"Tim Wagner, a spokesman for American, said the Fort Worth-based carrier would start selling one-stop tickets through St. Louis but wouldn't increase flights at Love Field."

kanebear Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Yeah that'll get 'em some traffic.... or not.

IND Oct 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Either take a one-stop flight from DAL, or fly almost anywhere in the world nonstop from DFW? I must be missing something here.

ssk1127 Oct 16, 2006 6:44 pm

if they want to compete head to head with WN, why not forget about DAL and start a competing shuttle service HOU-DFW - hourly flights anyone?

cliff31420 Oct 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by IND
Either take a one-stop flight from DAL, or fly almost anywhere in the world nonstop from DFW? I must be missing something here.

You are not.
It's just another point to proof that this is a crappy law passed by our congress that cares more about their campaign fund rather than the public good. If I were AA, I wouldn't even bother to compete with WN head to head because I can still charge much higher fare out of DFW to business traveller that needs to get to their destination quicker and easier. Let's continue to pay high airfare in D/FW area :(

oldpenny16 Oct 17, 2006 5:01 am

I've said it before, over and over in my office. We do not pick people up at Love Field. It is absolutely amazing to me how many people think that DAL is the BIG airport (DFW) and expect to be picked up in Dallas at Love Field when we are far from there.

Our next big meeting is the first week in November. I predict..... in any case, AA would be smart to let WN have all the Love they can get and serve DFW.

Don't telephone me from Love Field. Figure it out for yourself! I don't 'do' Dallas!

kanebear Oct 17, 2006 6:47 am

The first Wright Amendment was the problem... WN may take some traffic from AA but they'll never be able to supplant them. Is the DAL operation profitable??? IMO AA should consolidate their resources where they're best used, drop DAL once and for all now that the fiasco is over, and focus on maximizing their competitive advantages. Who on earth wants to connect in that pit known as STL onto an ERJ??

DallasAudiGuy Oct 17, 2006 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kanebear
The first Wright Amendment was the problem... WN may take some traffic from AA but they'll never be able to supplant them. Is the DAL operation profitable??? IMO AA should consolidate their resources where they're best used, drop DAL once and for all now that the fiasco is over, and focus on maximizing their competitive advantages. Who on earth wants to connect in that pit known as STL onto an ERJ??

if you had a late afternoon flight, and lived 10 minutes from DAL, you could conceivably go DAL-STL-LAX with a 1 hour lay over faster than fighting traffic to DFW, parking off site, and flying non-stop

aviationkiwi Oct 17, 2006 8:18 am

I plan to sponsor DAL. It's a much nicer Airport than DFW. STL is a nice Airport to make a connection, so I don't see the big deal, one concourse and easy walk between gates.

All AA is trying to do is steal WN passangers. No harm to be done to DFW.

brp Oct 17, 2006 8:28 am

I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with all this. I have my AA and my WN both conveniently located at SJC. No muss, no fuss. Condolences to those of you living with this.

Cheers.

HKG_Flyer1 Oct 17, 2006 8:55 am

Originally Posted by brp
I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with all this. I have my AA and my WN both conveniently located at SJC. No muss, no fuss. Condolences to those of you living with this.

Cheers.

It really is a hassle, especially for business travellers. A typical problem I deal with week in and week out is the DFW-New York route. Last minute fare: $1,418.60 for the non-stop.

As a result, we frequently end up putting even senior, high-paid executives on cheaper connecting flights with US, NW etc. via Charlotte, Memphis, Washington Reagan, etc. It's really crazy. And forget about making last minute schedule changes to accommodate an unexpected meeting.

Our colleagues in New York hate flying down here because of the cost, as well. They can fly to L.A. for half the price.

DallasAudiGuy Oct 17, 2006 9:34 am

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
It really is a hassle, especially for business travellers. A typical problem I deal with week in and week out is the DFW-New York route. Last minute fare: $1,418.60 for the non-stop.

As a result, we frequently end up putting even senior, high-paid executives on cheaper connecting flights with US, NW etc. via Charlotte, Memphis, Washington Reagan, etc. It's really crazy. And forget about making last minute schedule changes to accommodate an unexpected meeting.

Our colleagues in New York hate flying down here because of the cost, as well. They can fly to L.A. for half the price.

I am fairly certain that will change.

I believe the earliest impact will not necessarily be range of low cost stuff, but a huge reduction in max walk up fares

anaggie Oct 17, 2006 9:44 am

Originally Posted by aviationkiwi
I plan to sponsor DAL. It's a much nicer Airport than DFW. .

Have you been to Terminal D?

Check it out before you sugest Love is better than DFW !!

HKG_Flyer1 Oct 17, 2006 9:47 am

Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
I am fairly certain that will change.

I believe the earliest impact will not necessarily be range of low cost stuff, but a huge reduction in max walk up fares

Problem is, WN doesn't serve the New York market. Now, with the elimination of gates at DAL that could be used by any other low cost carriers, it's hard to see where the competitive pressure to lower fares will originate.

aviationkiwi Oct 17, 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
Have you been to Terminal D?

Check it out before you sugest Love is better than DFW !!

Been to Terminal D numerous times. The Terminal is beautiful, that doesn't make the connections at DFW any better, try making a 35 min connection when your flight is delayed from A to D. The parking fees are outrageous for the garage and the economy lots are too far away.