Quick Point -- Being young and elite

Old Oct 14, 06, 9:59 pm

I'm 16 years old, been EXP for 2 years now and gunning for 125k this year, i've had some pretty funny incidents at ORD such as "Hunny, coach is over there" (from the EXP check-in person), I then proudly lifted my EXP card and proceeded to check-in for my trip to LHR in F
Old Oct 14, 06, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Does it matter? I have found that we all dress pretty much alike once we have changed into the airline's PJs.
AA doesn't give PJs -- on BA or CX you're right - and while my GF likes the F pjs (she's into logos - Gucci, LV, etc) I bring her back from the daylight flight I actually dont like strolling to the back w a First and the speedwing on my chest so I just go to the F galley to do some stretching on the long flights out to Asia.

However, IMHO it does matter - having folks in tanktops and cut off jean shorts takes away from the cabin ambience. As I said, sort of like going to a nice restaurant - you should be comfortable but you don't wear your gym clothes! Im definately not saying wear a jacket - just nice, neat clothing - again something you would wear to a nice restaurant at lunch time.
Old Oct 14, 06, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
However, IMHO it does matter - having folks in tanktops and cut off jean shorts takes away from the cabin ambience.
I happily agree. It's just that I have honestly never seen anybody in intercontinental F dressed like you describe it here. At least not on the airlines I used so far (LH, SQ, TG). Maybe I was just lucky.

As for "domestic F" in the U.S., we all know this is merely "Business Class" with a different label. At least on 2 class planes. So "F" and "F" can mean different things, even on the same carrier.
Old Oct 14, 06, 11:47 pm
Suspended

I agree - the crowd on BA, CX, SQ in the premium cabins is always nicely attired - however, Ive been amazed at what people will wear in AA F or J and DL and CO J to/from Europe.
Old Oct 14, 06, 11:50 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I have found that we all dress pretty much alike once we have changed into the airline's PJs.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
AA doesn't give PJs
Clearly the solution is for AA to make the F dress code 'your own PJs, brought from home'. Or even better, 'your own AA PJs, bought from our website'.
Old Oct 14, 06, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA 1K, DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
Originally Posted by sarahjintexas
I look abput 10 years younger than I really am, (I'm 29) and I hate that way AA looks down on me as though I"m just some kid. Once when flying from DFW to HNL, I was first in line at the gate counter, waiting for the GA to see if I could get an upgrade. When she finally rocked up, she took one look at me, (and I was dressed nicely) and without even looking at my ticket, or looking at her computer, she tells me that there's no upgrades available. However, the 6 people in line behind me all managed to get an upgrade.... (they were all in their 50's) Talk about age discrimination!
Wow! I'm a 23 year old going on my second year of EXP. Before that, I was a PLT since 18. I cannot recall any experience even remotely close to yours on any of my AA flights. I sometimes get some comments from other pax in the FC lines directing me to coach boarding/check-in lines, but I've received any substandard treatment solely on the basis of my age. I certainly think your experience was more of a one-time occurrence.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 14, 06, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Torgen
Clearly the solution is for AA to make the F dress code 'your own PJs, brought from home'. Or even better, 'your own AA PJs, bought from our website'.
I'll have my first flight in UA intercontinental F (LAX-SYD-LAX) in December (because UA and QF are the only ones offering nonstop flights), and I definitely intend to bring a pair of my own F PJ collection. SQ type, probably.
Old Oct 15, 06, 12:58 am

I'm 28 but I "look" like 20 and to me first class should be called snotty class. I've never been offered wine. It's always, would you like some water? Once, meal orders were taken and I was skipped and asked last even though I wasn't supposed to be last. The list goes on and on.

Anyway, a couple days ago on a FLL-DFW flight there was a young guy (in F of course), probably in his early 20's, who wore flip flops. That's was a little weird...

Also, it doesn't matter how nice you dress, just don't have any body odors. On a dinner flight from DFW-FLL there was a nicely dressed man behind me but his feet were killing me. People often take their shoes off and when that happens... well you know what happens. But he took it a step further. He put his feet between my armrest. Now that is something to complain about.
Old Oct 15, 06, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
OK, I am "old" and often up front. When I am traveling from or to a thermally "hot" place, I travel in shorts. Does this offend anybody? I am usually too hot on flights anyway, and who wants to travel to or from the airport sweating on the way to a flight?
Old Oct 15, 06, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sometimes, it may even be about our "filters" and prior experiences. Meaning, if someone did discriminate against you because of your early age in another setting, you might be sensitized to that and interpret other slights - e.g. a grouchy G.A. who had other reasons to upgrade the "olds," but you felt it was because of an age issue. It's pretty human.

I was discriminated against in two job applications (I determined later) because the "powers that hire" decided - on the basis of my first name, for Pete's sake! - that I did not have the attributes they wanted in an employee. (Yes, I was able to verify both instances; in the second, more egregious one, I confronted the Director of Personnel to change things rather than sue and get a nice early retirement.) Those sensitized me to the point I sometimes find myself wondering if... and performing a reality check, because we tend to personalize when it doesn't serve us.

Not saying the upgrade experience wans't, I am merely warning about a common human tendency. May the rest of your flying AA be righ and rewarding; my nearly 60 years of flying AA have been... interesting!
Old Oct 15, 06, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
From Young & Elite to Dress Code in F....two much discussed FT topics in one....I'll see you in Travelbuzz.
Old Oct 15, 06, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Originally Posted by RogueViator
A hot FA....gee those are few and far between that when I saw that quote I automatically thought of someone burning themselves in the FC galley.
In all the years I have flown AA/DL -- this is the first hot one....

that is why I had to post this....
Old Oct 15, 06, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fraser
From Young & Elite to Dress Code in F....two much discussed FT topics in one....I'll see you in Travelbuzz.
Sorry - it is connected --- several posters described how not only were they young but they dressed down - so how one dresses is relevant to the subject - how are young people treated in F, etc.
Old Oct 16, 06, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by anaggie
In all the years I have flown AA/DL -- this is the first hot one....

that is why I had to post this....

Good point. I heard the ratio rises significantly when one flies an Asian carrier.
Old Oct 16, 06, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by 925
OK, I am "old" and often up front. When I am traveling from or to a thermally "hot" place, I travel in shorts. Does this offend anybody? I am usually too hot on flights anyway, and who wants to travel to or from the airport sweating on the way to a flight?
I have to admit, I'm a shorts and flip flops guy during the summer. Sorry, but I don't see the point in dressing up simply to hop on a plane. Especially if the flight is more than 3 hours in length or if I'm not heading directly to a client site.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: