Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Point -- Being young and elite

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sarahjintexas
Nope, she didn't even ask to see my ticket, or look at the computer, Just plain passed me over because I wasn't old... I was pretty p*ssed. Especially since I had been sitting there on my palm looking at all the upgraded seeats still available, and I knew there was some open.
She was pretty old herself, and I guess just didn't want a youngen in a better class. I could have understood if she had actually looked at my ticket, or checked the computer, and it was just because there was more important people who had already waitlisted. But to just plain tell someone no, without even checking is pretty rude. Then to go straight on and give the old people behind you an upgrade, is prett sh*tty.
Next time, don't give in so easily, have her put you on this list anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
well in europe its not a problem being young and elite.. i take it like a compliment, since i was *S from 14 yearold. Never had a strange look and been treated very good ^

Take care,
RH.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:41 am

Anyone who has flown on South American carriers with any significant frequency knows that being young can help you (regarding upgrades and treatment).

Ive seen younger (18 - 23 or so) passengers "mysteriously " moved up front ... even to the cockpit!

Its a different world down here though ...
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:50 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ordflyer60614
My favorite thing to do, especially if travelling in International business or first, is to dress in a t-shirt, ballcap, and pair of shorts. So many times I've heard "Sir, we're boarding first class only." My response: "Yes, you are."
I tend to pride myself of non-conformity (shirtlessness) too, but on my last lhr-jfk I got op-uped to first and I was disappointed how "normal" it looked and felt. I didn't really get the feeling to be in "first". I'll dress up more in the future and I hope other do too... and I hope for another op-up
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
Since I have made Platinum on AA at the start of this yr (thanks FT), I have had all my upgrades clear and have noticed one thing:

1) Everyone who is in First Class is older.....I mean 20-30 yrs older....I am usually the only one in F who is in the early 30's..evberyone else in in their 40's, 50's, 60,s and up....

I hadn't noticed. I typically see plenty of folks my age.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I'm 24 and, thankfully, haven't had any "Can I see your boarding pass, sir?" or "scowls" lately when I've availed myself of an upgrade, use the elite line for security or check in at a business/first class counter.

I went to college in Europe and quickly attained the highest level of Aer Lingus' Gold Circle Club (thanks to a couple of transatlantics and el cheapo student tickets, which back then earned full "points"). I was regularly upgraded to "Premier" on the transatlantic flights, and when I was 18-21 I would get some nasty scowls. In fact, I will never forget when I was flying DUB-EWR (when the route existed) and it was the June Bank Holiday weekend when all the students on J1 visas, some of whom I went to law school with, were standing in a Y class line snaking half way around the airport. I had been cleared for a J seat two days prior and approached a Premier counter and was actually told to "step aside" and that the line was for business class passengers only. Sure I was young, sure I had on shorts and a golf shirt. But I actually had to SHOW my ticket with the endorsement on it to get access to that counter. Even after I made the girl eat humble pie she was still snotty.

Then 9/11 happened and the airline nearly went under so all the perks disappeared. I moved myself over to AA and have managed to retain GLD status since then. Have never gotten treatment like that.

I even cashed in miles and flew J on BA from LHR to CPT and JNB to LHR when I was 21. I took a 3 week safari in Africa and looked like hell on the return (sunburned, lost my glasses in a river and was forced to wear prescription sunglasses morning, noon and night) and the crew were nothing but professional. No scowls, no asking for a BP.

I think it really depends on the carrier . . . .

Good post. Brings backs memories of the good ole days for me . . . .
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
1) Everyone who is in First Class is older.....I mean 20-30 yrs older....I am usually the only one in F who is in the early 30's..evberyone else in in their 40's, 50's, 60,s and up....
This must be the routes you're flying. I've been top tier with AA since I was 16 (I'm now 28), and I see plenty of younger types flying in F/J. There are sometimes flights where it seems like I'm the OLDEST in the cabin. Talk about a reality check...

Maybe ELP just attracts an older clientele.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RChavez
You know, every time I come across these threads, it makes me worried I look like a middle aged man!

I'm 27, have been a mid-tier elite since I was 19, and I can count on one, maybe two hands, the number of times I've received any kind of different treatment for being young. Most of which were totally warranted (being carded in F while underage and being asked for ID when entering a club room where you had to be 21 to enter).

But I've never been asked for my BP just to verify I belonged in a premium cabin and I've never noticed any "strange looks" while waiting in the F checkin lines.

The only thing that comes to mind, and still happens quite regularly, is that I often do get pushed aside or cut in front of during EXP/PLT boarding by other fellow EXP/PLT members. Once or twice the person has even said something along the lines of "Excuse me, they just called preboarding/First/what have you" while they were doing it. I just roll my eyes and chuckle.

But in all seriousness (or none at all ), I'm beginning to think I need to buy some Rogaine, a bright red BMW convertible, and start chasing after romantic interests half my age...wait, that would be illegal!

The same goes for me. I have been a FF with AA since I was 16 and I have been elite for many years. I often wear shorts or casual clothes, especially on my MRs and have rarely had any problems what so ever. Only once in DFW when I was asking to be upgraded did the GA say it wasnt going to happen (without even looking at my BP or checking to see where I was on the list), only to have another GA call my name during boarding to tell me that he thought he could get me in F. The 1st GA was flabbergasted and had the most dumbfounded look on her face when I presented her with my new F BP a few minutes later. On a side note, never had problems with the AC either (have been a member a few years back, but currently use it when flying Intl).

Peace!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by PapiTheWriter
Only once in DFW when I was asking to be upgraded did the GA say it wasnt going to happen (without even looking at my BP or checking to see where I was on the list), only to have another GA call my name during boarding to tell me that he thought he could get me in F.
When they don't look at your BP, they could be assuming you can't get upgraded even if there is a waitlist. I also like the "first class has checked in full," so they won't put you on the list. That does not necessarily mean anything, as there can be misconnects that open up seats.

I've had the age thing happen as well, both from airlines and passengers, but it doesn't really bother me. Actually, some FA's like having young people in F/J. I've met some cool people and even got a tour of the plane once (on the A340)! ^
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
I love the elderly man brigade with their tweed uniform (usually a sports jacket) who seem to think I have no reason to be in First as a younger female in " 'EEK a girl in our old men's club" and try to run over me in the line to get on the plane. I LIKE in clothes and age looking like a non-typical F flyer and surprising them.
Don't forget their ability to form correct sentences.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
I love the elderly man brigade with their tweed uniform (usually a sports jacket) who seem to think I have no reason to be in First as a younger female in " 'EEK a girl in our old men's club" and try to run over me in the line to get on the plane. I LIKE in clothes and age looking like a non-typical F flyer and surprising them.
Interestingly, it's the younger working set that have run me (Mrs. Sprite speaking) over when I am with my teenagers on PAID first.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Really? Interesting.

I have seen lot of younger folks (and I mean under 30) in UA F, and also on the UA board here on FT. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the UA board is busier than the AA board, even though AA is the larger carrier.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, Aeroplan
Since I have made Platinum on AA at the start of this yr (thanks FT), I have had all my upgrades clear and have noticed one thing:

Just an observation...thank god not too many young people are becoming elite otherwise I would lose my seats...

by the way, I finally got a "HOT" FA for the first time with flying AA -- today from MFE-DFW in F -- name was Mellissa and she was gorgeous -- a sight for sore eyes....in her late 20's - early 30's

appreciate it AA !!!

Just my $0.02 -- slow day workwise...
A hot FA....gee those are few and far between that when I saw that quote I automatically thought of someone burning themselves in the FC galley.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Back in the 80s AF had a deal with one of the big modeling agencies that had offices in NYC and Paris. They gave them one F seat at a low coach fare for each flight on the requirement they had a model on every flight.

Within half a year, the F cabin was full with businessmen every flight and a few even switched from Concorde.

Nothing wrong with some young, pretty faces in F -- most of the time however its older businesspeople and reward tickets.

Of course today in F folks dress however they want -- it is a bit sad to see some people think wearing shorts and a t-shirt in F is a badge of honor. Obviously you should be comfortable when you travel, but in a nice restaurant there is a certain dress code. Obviously this can't be done on airplanes, but maybe sometimes the reason FAs thinking air travel is one big greyhound bus - even in F - is a lot of the pax dress like it is.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Of course today in F folks dress however they want
Does it matter? I have found that we all dress pretty much alike once we have changed into the airline's PJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.