Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More inconsistent FEBO behaviour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
More inconsistent FEBO behaviour

I flew LAS-DFW-IAD yesterday, on AA675 connecting to AA2351, in F. On both flights the cabin crew took meal orders starting at the front. I was too sleepy to pay much attention on 675 but on 2351 I asked and was told they start at the front on eastbound flights, and at the rear on westbound.

I know there's plenty of discussion on crews not observing FEBO correctly and I wouldn't have posted about it except that two consecutive flights with different crews exhibited the same behaviour. Of course the long shot exists that maybe the rules have changed?

twj
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by tegwj
I flew LAS-DFW-IAD yesterday, on AA675 connecting to AA2351, in F. On both flights the cabin crew took meal orders starting at the front. I was too sleepy to pay much attention on 675 but on 2351 I asked and was told they start at the front on eastbound flights, and at the rear on westbound.

I know there's plenty of discussion on crews not observing FEBO correctly and I wouldn't have posted about it except that two consecutive flights with different crews exhibited the same behaviour. Of course the long shot exists that maybe the rules have changed?
The rules have not changed, but I saw the same thing DFW-IAD on Monday.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:32 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Was it full? I find on flights that they don't worry a lot on meal selection they might not get overly FEBO-ish as the main concern of the de-FEBO'd pasenger missing a delicious entree is a lot lower.

When you asked the FA why no FEBO what did he or she say about it?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Was it full? I find on flights that they don't worry a lot on meal selection they might not get overly FEBO-ish as the main concern of the de-FEBO'd pasenger missing a delicious entree is a lot lower.

DFW-IAD is always full.

When I asked, she asked how I knew about FEBO.

Since we're on the subject, DCA-DFW yesterday, the FA did follow FEBO, but apologized to the passengers in rows 5-3 because management requires him to take orders from the back on odd numbered flights.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Was it full?

Both cabins on my flights were full. My DFW-IAD FA simply gave the answer I described, no acknowledgment of my remark about FEBO.

twj
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I have a better question: Why is an east bound flight an odd numbered flight?

I defense of the FA, historically odd numbered flights have always been west or south bound flights and even numbered flights have always been east or north bound. Or almost always until this case. I looked at this flight and it did not show up as a continuation flight so I am not sure why it deviates from AA standard numbering methodology. A southbound flight into DFW that then continues to the east to IAD may well have an odd flight number.

Has anyone ever thought that we might be wrong? Maybe the actual rule is west and south bound flights meal orders will be taken starting with the back row. We interpreted that to be FEBO based on odd numbered flights have always been west or south bound. In this case an odd number flight is east bound and the meal orders were taken starting with the front row. Perhaps we should rename FEBO to be FENBWS.

If AA is deviating from its methodology of even numbering east and north bound flights and odd numbering its west and south bound flights, then we may see a lot more threads similar to this one.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Inflight Food Service

Premium Cabin and First Class Services
In Premium Cabins (F/C and B/C) use customer names with every transaction.
• Pre-Departure beverages will be offered on all flights unless circumstances or time constraints dictate otherwise
• Take customer meal preferences FWD - AFT on even numbered flights and AFT - FWD on odd numbered flights. Do not differentiate between full fare, upgrade or non-revenue customers when taking preferences.
o Discreetly inform non-revenue customers if you cannot fulfill their request.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
All my recent flights FEBO was strictly followed.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Rare failure to observe

It is rare that the FEBO rule isn't followed and the scenario you quoted, where a flight's number and direction are inconsistent is the situation where I have most often seen the FAs take orders in the wrong sequence.

FFs that go out of their way to select a seat based on the FEBO rule do get miffed, particularly if the meal choices disappear by the time they are approach.

In one flight where this happened, the FA did some negotiating and swapped a crew meal to get me the choice I wanted -- nice recovery after I gently inquired about how orders were taken in light of FEBO. In that case, the flight attendant did confuse flight direction with flight numbering.

Fortunately, not a common issue.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by nbevan
Take customer meal preferences FWD - AFT on even numbered flights and AFT - FWD on odd numbered flights.
There is no change to this.

If you witness a FA doing something different, then kindly ask them why they aren't following FEBO (remember, we FAs don't know the term FEBO, this is a FT term, not airline term). Just ask them why they aren't taking preferences per flight number....FWD-AFT/EVEN, AFT-FWD/ODD.

If you witness it on many flights, then remember to send a letter to AA.COM/CustomerRelations to let them know FEBO is not being followed.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
There is no change to this.

If you witness a FA doing something different, then kindly ask them why they aren't following FEBO (remember, we FAs don't know the term FEBO, this is a FT term, not airline term). Just ask them why they aren't taking preferences per flight number....FWD-AFT/EVEN, AFT-FWD/ODD.
Thanks sluggo.

So the official FA acronym sounds like FAEAFO.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
If AA is deviating from its methodology of even numbering east and north bound flights and odd numbering its west and south bound flights, then we may see a lot more threads similar to this one.
Well, I'm on AA 664 LGA-MSY soon. Should be FWD-AFT by flight number, but obviously it's a south-west flight. Assuming I get upgraded, I'll pick my seat according to FEBO and hope for the best! Though is there really that much difference between a turkey wrap and a turkey croissant? (Just no egg salad!!!)
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
• Take customer meal preferences FWD - AFT on even numbered flights and AFT - FWD on odd numbered flights. Do not differentiate between full fare, upgrade or non-revenue customers when taking preferences.
Silly question -- why inform non-rev customers, but not rev customers? Or should rev customers be non-discreetly informed?

As an aside, someone mentioned swapping meals with crew -- it seems to me crew should always get last choice so that as many passengers as possible get their first choice. I suspect their contracts dictate otherwise, though.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scottmlew
As an aside, someone mentioned swapping meals with crew -- it seems to me crew should always get last choice so that as many passengers as possible get their first choice. I suspect their contracts dictate otherwise, though.
Don't forget that the flight crew (pilot, copilot) are required to eat different meals..in case something is systemically wrong with one of them. This can limit the options.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Silly question -- why inform non-rev customers, but not rev customers? Or should rev customers be non-discreetly informed?
The way I read it, they accept the non-rev request, but might later reallocate it to a rev customer (though it does not say that explicitly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.