Please Help Me Check My Platinum Challenge Math!

 
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:17 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Arrow Please Help Me Check My Platinum Challenge Math!

Please confirm this should get one Platinum under the Platinum Challenge, if all done inside 90 days:

EWR-BOS in Y = 500 x 1.5 = 750 EQP
BOS-EWR in K = 500 x 1.0 = 500 EQP
LHR-LAX in A = 5456 x 1.5 = 8184 EQP
LAX-SFO in A = 500 x 1.5 = 750 EQP

==> Total = 10184 EQP

Sound good?

Also, what's the phone number to call to enroll again?
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:21 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,013
Looks right to me, but I would like someone with actual experience to confirm that 750 EQPs are earned for flights < 500 miles in a 1.5x EQP class (i.e. A). I can confirm from experience that 500 EQPs are earned from EWR-BOS in K (or even deep discount), but I have never done a short hop on full fare.

The phone number to enroll is AAdvantage CS (from the "Contact Us" page of AA.com)

AAdvantage Customer Service
1-800-421-0600
7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Saturday
10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Sunday
chrisw is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:23 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
The 750 is wrong. It's 1.5x actual miles or 500, whichever is greater. You don't get to multiply the guaranteed minimum by 1.5, sorry BJ.
Fly AA J all the way is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:26 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Posts: 5,846
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Please confirm this should get one Platinum under the Platinum Challenge, if all done inside 90 days:

EWR-BOS in Y = 500 x 1.5 = 750 EQP
BOS-EWR in K = 500 x 1.0 = 500 EQP
LHR-LAX in A = 5456 x 1.5 = 8184 EQP
LAX-SFO in A = 500 x 1.5 = 750 EQP

==> Total = 10184 EQP

Sound good?

Also, what's the phone number to call to enroll again?

I've never done any type of challenge at AA (have been a long term member since '92), yet here are my thoughts:

On the surface , it looks correct.

I assume Y(above) = full fare Y.

Not sure if K fare is at 1.0 factor (am pretty sure it is). I think you can get this from aa.com though.

If you are a Gold member, I would call the Gold line. If not Gold, then call AA Reservations at 800-433-7300. Or, possibly, 800-421-0600.

Best of Luck in your quest.
freeupgrade is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:35 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
If you are a Gold member, I would call the Gold line. If not Gold, then call AA Reservations at 800-433-7300.
This is incorrect. Both of these numbers will refer you to AAdvange CS.
chrisw is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 9:37 am
  #6  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
The 750 is wrong. It's 1.5x actual miles or 500, whichever is greater. You don't get to multiply the guaranteed minimum by 1.5, sorry BJ.


Then I'm short.

EWR-BOS in Y = 202 x 1.5 = 500 EQP
BOS-EWR in K = 202 x 1.0 = 500 EQP
LHR-LAX in A = 5456 x 1.5 = 8184 EQP
LAX-SFO in A = 337 x 1.5 = 505 EQP

==> Total = 9690 EQP

ARE YOU SURE???
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:09 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On a Bridge
Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Posts: 1,070
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
==> Total = 9690 EQP

ARE YOU SURE???
Wrong again... It's actually 9689
JAGMAP is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 7,368
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
ARE YOU SURE???
Yes - if the flight miles x 1.5 is less than 500, it gets rounded up to 500. It's not calculated by 500 x 1.5 for the short flights.

Mike
nako is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Posts: 5,846
Originally Posted by chrisw
This is incorrect. Both of these numbers will refer you to AAdvange CS.
I stand corrected - as I confessed, have never done a challenge...

....Shows you how much I know....
freeupgrade is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:50 am
  #10  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Wrong again... It's actually 9689
I think it's 9689.5, which is 9690, no?

Either way, looks like to scrap the BOS flights (and take UA through ORD ) and just take a transcon on AA soon. I've been looking forward to trying AA's enhanced transcon product, so...
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:56 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,540
I seem to recall seeing something, somewhere about a spreadsheet for tracking miles and points that would probably be pretty helpful in this situtation.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 10:58 am
  #12  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,234
Yes, you're short.

Is the "A" class on the LHR-LAX segment part of a RTW or other paid FC fare? Remember upgraded tickets only earn q-pts based on the underlying fare class, although AA sometimes credits 1.5 pts. erroneously. Since LHR-LAX is a 3-class service, upgrading into A would mean starting in J or D, both of which would earn 1.5 pts anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Might be time to look for a cheapie hop someplace to top up the total.
Gardyloo is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 11:21 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I stand corrected - as I confessed, have never done a challenge...
These calculations aren't unique to challenges; EQPs are always figured as stated in posts #3 and #8.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 11:40 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,388
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Is the "A" class on the LHR-LAX segment part of a RTW or other paid FC fare?
I guess you missed out on this deal?
ijgordon is offline  
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:27 pm
  #15  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I seem to recall seeing something, somewhere about a spreadsheet for tracking miles and points that would probably be pretty helpful in this situtation.
Thank you. That's very helpful.
BenjaminNYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread