Are all EXP upgrades free?

Old Oct 2, 06, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Are all EXP upgrades free?

Before you flame, I've searched already. Used Firefox and I get a 'Cannot find server' error - switched to Internet Explorer and same thing happens. *phew*

On the main page, webflyer, I was reviewing the comparisons between UA and AA and was a bit surprised by the statement below.
Executive Platinum passengers traveling on a full Y, B, or M fare will receive complimentary upgrades. This is also extended to their traveling companion on a full Y, B, or M fare.
I thought the benefit of being EXP was that all upgrades were free - does not matter if it's a web fare, etc. I went to the AA site to confirm this information in the EXP guide and it reads 'complimentary upgrades are applicable ... for all published fares'.

I know this sounds dumb but could you confirm the upgrade rules for EXP? I'd rather not be surprised when I request a free upgrade on a $78 ticket next year.

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, domestic upgrades are free. Anywhere that Plats and Golds need to use stickers (500 mile electronic upgrade credits), EXPs get it free, subject to availability. Gotta use stickers for companions unless on Y or B.
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Starwood PLT, Avis CHM, DL GM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
Yes, EXPs get free upgrades on virtually any published fare. Golds and Platinums get upgrades on Y and B fares. The upgrades must be requested when making the reservation and they can clear anytime within the window for that level elite (e.g., 100 hours for EXP).
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Thanks for your quick responses. I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory, but since AA makes extra money ($30/500mile segment) when PLTs and GLDs are upgraded, do EXPs lose upgrades to PLTs and GLDs? I realize a fully-paid F fare trumps free upgrades to EXPs, I just wanted to know if EXPs sometimes lose upgrades to the other groups.

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Yes, EXPs get free upgrades on virtually any published fare. Golds and Platinums get upgrades on Y and B fares.

get FREE upgrades on Y and B fares, but can use stickers on just about any other fare.....
Old Oct 2, 06, 11:07 pm
ORD
Suspended

Originally Posted by badjuju
I just wanted to know if EXPs sometimes lose upgrades to the other groups.

Thanks.
Never. UGs clear by status, and other factors within status (check-in time, connections, etc).
Old Oct 2, 06, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Yes, EXPs get free upgrades on virtually any published fare. Golds and Platinums get upgrades on Y and B fares. The upgrades must be requested when making the reservation and they can clear anytime within the window for that level elite (e.g., 100 hours for EXP).
Not that it is of any particular consequence, but one is not required to request an upgrade when making the reservation. It can be done any time subsequently, as well. (Just to be accurate.)
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
One of life's little pleasures as an EXP is flying on a $109 RT transcon and getting upgraded for free. EXP domestic sticker upgrades are FREE to the EXP member.
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Not that it is of any particular consequence, but one is not required to request an upgrade when making the reservation. It can be done any time subsequently, as well. (Just to be accurate.)
Speaking of which, aa.com will not allow on-line upgrade requests for groups of three or more (on one pnr). If you make that mistake you have to talk to the nice Aagent on the telephone and ask to have the group split.
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
In principle, I think I agree with you, but it does seem to be a fairly small inaccuracy given the mountains of misinformation on the AA forum. Personally, I'm trying to increase my tolerance for incorrect statements.
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by gemac
In principle, I think I agree with you, but it does seem to be a fairly small inaccuracy given the mountains of misinformation on the AA forum. Personally, I'm trying to increase my tolerance for incorrect statements.

and I thought I was the only one.......
Old Oct 3, 06, 5:29 am
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by 925
One of life's little pleasures as an EXP is flying on a $109 RT transcon and getting upgraded for free. EXP domestic sticker upgrades are FREE to the EXP member.
I once flew jfk-sfo-jfk for $135 (tax inclusive). Are there any $109's currently available?
Old Oct 3, 06, 6:50 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
While sites such as webflyer and fewmiles might be a nice way to look at things . they tend to get out of date the day they are published. If they are not updated frequently .. exactly this type of question can arise.

I am very shocked no one has suggested the OP go to the truly only official place for EXP information .. aa.com Membership Guide where the details of domestic (well US, Canada, Caribbean and Central America) upgrades can be located. It also deals with eVIPs.

Yes there are some things that the Guide does not mention. MM status and benefits, turning stickers back to miles and probably a few more that escape me. But since these are unpublished benefits, they would not be in the guide.
Old Oct 3, 06, 8:22 am

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by 925
Which is one of the best features of AA's AAdvantage program. When I was an elite with DL, I was never eligible for upgrading because of travelling on an L, U or T fare (known as "loser" fares over on the DL forum if I recall correctly). Their award availability was also practically non-existent. Say what you will in criticizing AA's program, but it absolutely shines in comparison to DL's.
Old Oct 3, 06, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by andrzej

and I thought I was the only one.......
I look forward to the expansion of your magnanimity into the other forums as well.

Search this Thread