Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA No Longer Serves SFO-EWR Non Stop?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Unhappy AA No Longer Serves SFO-EWR Non Stop?

Looking to book SFO EWR, and I just saw that there is no non-stop anymore? I thought that AA still had one or two per day? That's too bad. How long has this been the case?

Was curious to try out AA two-class transcon, since from what I hear, it **may** be a step up from UA's product.

Thanks,
-BJ
Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgppetch
AA never flew nonstop to SFO out of EWR. LAX is the only nonstop transcon from EWR and the only they have ever had out of EWR.

Really? OOPS!
Suspended
Original Poster

FT time machine problem!

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
AA never flew nonstop to SFO out of EWR. LAX is the only nonstop transcon from EWR and the only they have ever had out of EWR.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:47 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
And they discontinued the LAX-EWR red-eye this year, down to 2 flts a day LAX-EWR.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Is it true that AA still has menu's and fillet in their two class transcon F???
Old Oct 1, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Is it true that AA still has menu's and fillet in their two class transcon F???
Yes, the food service is now considerably better than UA's. You get a salad + appetizer first course, 2 choices for main course (I had the filet this week, it was overcooked as is almost always the case on a plane), fruit/cheese or ice cream for dessert, after dinner mints, chocolate chip cookies before landing, and sparkling water with lemon before landing. On UA (at least transcons from BOS) you get a salad, main course and dessert all served at once on a tray. No cookies, no mints, etc.

And yes, they do (usually) have printed menus.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 6:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
Yes, the food service is now considerably better than UA's. You get a salad + appetizer first course, 2 choices for main course (I had the filet this week, it was overcooked as is almost always the case on a plane), fruit/cheese or ice cream for dessert, after dinner mints, chocolate chip cookies before landing, and sparkling water with lemon before landing. On UA (at least transcons from BOS) you get a salad, main course and dessert all served at once on a tray. No cookies, no mints, etc.

And yes, they do (usually) have printed menus.
Wow! I will have to try this for my next transcon. Can't believe I'm saying this. So, a few questions:

1.) Is everything served on a tray?
2.) What are the appetizers typically?
3.) Is it a cheese board, or a plate with a few wedges?

Also, FYI, on UA transcons, it's correct that the salad and entree come together (no appetizer ), but there is a sundae after dinner. I think only for dinner flights, though, not lunch.

US does NOT provision fillet on two-class transcons. The entrees are far more peasant than that.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Wow! I will have to try this for my next transcon. Can't believe I'm saying this. So, a few questions:

1.) Is everything served on a tray?
2.) What are the appetizers typically?
3.) Is it a cheese board, or a plate with a few wedges?

Also, FYI, on UA transcons, it's correct that the salad and entree come together (no appetizer ), but there is a sundae after dinner. I think only for dinner flights, though, not lunch.

US does NOT provision fillet on two-class transcons. The entrees are far more peasant than that.
OK, I stand corrected on UA; I've flown lunch flights recently and remember cheesecake or something similar on the tray. The appetizer this past week was smoked duck -- and it was pretty good. The fruit and cheese is a small plate with some grapes and 2-3 wedges of cheese. They bring a tray with the appetizer/salad (has the full setup including cutlery, glasses, etc.), then the subsequent courses are brought without tray.

One other difference from UA: two reds and two whites for the wines, plus sparkling wine. UA usually only has one of each, and no sparkling wine.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
OK, I stand corrected on UA; I've flown lunch flights recently and remember cheesecake or something similar on the tray. The appetizer this past week was smoked duck -- and it was pretty good. The fruit and cheese is a small plate with some grapes and 2-3 wedges of cheese. They bring a tray with the appetizer/salad (has the full setup including cutlery, glasses, etc.), then the subsequent courses are brought without tray.

One other difference from UA: two reds and two whites for the wines, plus sparkling wine. UA usually only has one of each, and no sparkling wine.
WOW! This is two class transcon??? WOW?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WOW! This is two class transcon??? WOW?
Have you flown CO's 2-class transcon (e.g., EWR-LAX)? Sounds like AA's offering is just trying to be competitive. Don't know why UA can't do the same on this route.

Although, on CO, there are at least 3 entree choices (and maybe 4, can't remember). Yes - appetizer/salad, yes ice cream sundae, yes printed menus. In fact, it's very similar to their international BusinessFirst service that you recently experienced. Somewhat scaled down -- only one appetizer choice and it's served with the salad, portions are smaller (but usually same entrees as on BF in a given month) and no cheese course.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Have you flown CO's 2-class transcon (e.g., EWR-LAX)? Sounds like AA's offering is just trying to be competitive. Don't know why UA can't do the same on this route.

Although, on CO, there are at least 3 entree choices (and maybe 4, can't remember). Yes - appetizer/salad, yes ice cream sundae, yes printed menus. In fact, it's very similar to their international BusinessFirst service that you recently experienced. Somewhat scaled down -- only one appetizer choice and it's served with the salad, portions are smaller (but usually same entrees as on BF in a given month) and no cheese course.
Yup, I have and I agree. It's now patently clear that UA's two-class transcon product is vastly inferior to both CO and AA.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:09 pm
ORD
Suspended

Yup, I have and I agree. It's now patently clear that UA's two-class transcon product is vastly inferior to both CO and AA.
Does this mean you'll come to the dark side and abandon UA?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORD
Does this mean you'll come to the dark side and abandon UA?
Means I'm gonna give them a try. The lack of a UGS-type program is not encouraging.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM, AC
Originally Posted by xTWAnowAAer
And they discontinued the LAX-EWR red-eye this year, down to 2 flts a day LAX-EWR.
This was definitely a bummer - since I fly this route at least once a month - but I think they discontinued it last year.

As far as getting an UG it is decidedly harder recently as every plane I have flown on this route has been packed. But the times I have been lucky enough you CAN see the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.