Community
Wiki Posts
Search

using VIP vs Milage for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by michaelFL
While checking on my FRA flight this week, I asked the EP desk about the VIP07 vs. miles question. To my surprise, miles trump VIP's. The reason is that miles are considered $$$, either miles w/ copay or just miles. VIP's are 'free upgrades'.....
to AA for this. Over at UA SWU's (like VIP's) trump miles.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 11.1MM; 5.9MM Marriott Ambassador; Hertz President Circle, 3.2MM AMEX
Originally Posted by alien
michaelFL welcome to FlyerTalk...I think...1 post with a registration date of Aug '04 ?...
Thanks, lots of surfing and little typing. Though this thread has tested my typing....
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:31 am
CJR

Programs: Star Alliance, Oneworld
Same priority in ZRH

Nearly 2 yrs ago, I was WL for C since ticketing. The premuim services mgr whom I've met many times before, came over and advised 2 remaining J seats and had 2 PLT willing to upg w/miles & copay. He stated as an EXP, I had first refusal ONLY if miles & copay regardless of eco fare basis. I should save the VIP's for another day.

He said very sorry but this is procedure for airport control of upgrades.

For ZRH, I've flown PrivatAir via EWR ever since.

-Craiger
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by michaelFL
To my surprise, miles trump VIP's. The reason is that miles are considered $$$, either miles w/ copay or just miles. VIP's are 'free upgrades'.....
Can someone answer whether miles trump eVIPS only witin the same status level? Or would a plat using miles trump an EXP using eVIPs.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Can someone answer whether miles trump eVIPS only witin the same status level? Or would a plat using miles trump an EXP using eVIPs.
What would you like the answer to be?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Did you see some credible evidence that mileage upgrades have priority over VIPs?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Did you see some credible evidence that mileage upgrades have priority over VIPs?

^ Exactly our thoughts!

Remarkable as well that a certain longtime UA FF takes much time and much delight to jump on any type of negative AAdvantage guess work bandwagon, no matter how much rubbish and pure fiction it is, even in the best light of day. A sad sort really.

Cheers

LACouple
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Airport waitlist based on status and check in time

Originally Posted by Blumie
The Executive Desk just told me that airport priority for upgrades with miles and eVIPS is just based on status and check in time, nothing else. The EXP who checks in first gets the upgrade. Seemed quite confident about it.

But this is not what michaelFL was told or experienced.

Does anyone else have experience of being trumped by someone on the airport waitlist who is upgrading with miles?

Last edited by nbevan; Oct 3, 2006 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan
Does anyone else have experience of being trumped by someone on the airport waitlist who is upgrading with miles?
Now you're just asking for trouble.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan
The Executive Desk just told me that airport priority for upgrades with miles and eVIPS is just based on status and check in time, nothing else. The EXP who checks in first gets the upgrade. Seemed quite confident about it.
I'm not doubting that someone told you this, but there's nothing on the AA website or elite handbooks that says that miles/eVIPs that fail to clear by the time you check in are handled by a separate airport waiting list dependent on check in time. As you may know, that sounds like the sticker upgrade procedures, and it sounds like someone at the Executive Desk is confusing the two.

Sticker upgrade requests that fail to clear at three hours are clearly subject to the airport upgrade list - but I've always been told that miles/eVIP upgrade requests that fail to clear in advance continue to be prioritized depending on status and date/time of original request, not check in time.

Anybody? Anybody?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
What would you like the answer to be?
I would hope that EVP with miles or eVIP would trump Plat irrespective of miles or EVP. And if EVP using miles trumps EVP using eVIP--I guess that first and foremost dollars into AA coffers is reasonable.

But an EXP seeking an eVIP upgarde being trumped by any other status using miles significantly degrades the value of the eVIP.

Having seen all the discussion in this thread, I must say that my gate record with eVIPs has been 100%. Even when flying with two family members to and from Sao Paulo from Miami--both directions. But that was 18 months ago. This past summer, flying alone, succeded JFK-LHR both ways.

But trying to get VIPs confirmed 11 months ahead of time for this Thanksgiving from Dallas or Miami to Sao Paulo/Monivideo, I could not get even one outbound or return (wanted four)--makes me wonder whether the upgrades are now being held for mileage upgraders. That may force me to rethink whether EXP is worth its salt any longer...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would hope that EVP with miles or eVIP would trump Plat irrespective of miles or EVP. And if EVP using miles trumps EVP using eVIP--I guess that first and foremost dollars into AA coffers is reasonable.

But an EXP seeking an eVIP upgarde being trumped by any other status using miles significantly degrades the value of the eVIP.

Having seen all the discussion in this thread, I must say that my gate record with eVIPs has been 100%. Even when flying with two family members to and from Sao Paulo from Miami--both directions. But that was 18 months ago. This past summer, flying alone, succeded JFK-LHR both ways.

But trying to get VIPs confirmed 11 months ahead of time for this Thanksgiving from Dallas or Miami to Sao Paulo/Monivideo, I could not get even one outbound or return (wanted four)--makes me wonder whether the upgrades are now being held for mileage upgraders. That may force me to rethink whether EXP is worth its salt any longer...
If you read this thread carefully, I'm sure you will find the answer you want here.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That may force me to rethink whether EXP is worth its salt any longer...
You can only use your systemwides at Thanksgiving and no other times of the year? I have 3 upcoming Europe itineraries and mine have all cleared, but I'm careful to check availability before booking.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan

During the 25th promo (May) I bought a ticket to London, flying in early NOV, no problem at all upgrading with e-VIPs. I had 2 tickets to Dublin, bought back in Mar/Apr?, (I really don't remember) for travel in late NOV and early DEC, called the EXP desk and had no problems whatsoever upgrading...YMMV.

Just try to remember....C inventory is capacity controlled. You can beat the system by monitoring the availibility, (if you have the luxury of different travel dates), or you can sweat it, but the times when I had to "sweat it", ultimately I cleared.....Not once in the last 3 + years was I denied an upgrade using e-VIPs, and that includes, KIX, NRT, LHR, LGW, BRU, DUB, EZE, LIM, GIG, GRU and couple more that I can't remember.... I was waitlisted on few of the above, but at the end of the day I always cleared.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
My first use of eVIPS. LHR-ORD has just cleared for October 12, and the return to UK looks promising.

But should I hold out any hope at the gate for JFK-GRU on October 15 which is F0 J0 Y1, or GRU-DFW on October 28 which is already J0 Y7?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.