Help with understanding refund/change possibilities

Old Sep 29, 06, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
Help with understanding refund/change possibilities

Sorry if this is an obvious question or could be answered easily by phoning AA but Iím traveling internationally with little phone and only occasional web access.
I have a paid, discounted first class ticket for a multi-segment series of domestic flights in late October which I will need to change. The ticket restriction appearing on my AA e-mail confirmation is: NONREF/CHGFEEPLUSFAREDIF/CXL BY FLT TIME OR NOVALUE. I assume that this means that I cannot get a refund and had better contact AA to cancel before the first scheduled departure.
My question is: do I have to fly the same itinerary later (and pay more if the fare has increased) or can I change the itinerary? And if I can change it, does it imply that if the new fare is less, I lose the difference. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 06, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ReelChief
My question is: do I have to fly the same itinerary later (and pay more if the fare has increased) or can I change the itinerary? And if I can change it, does it imply that if the new fare is less, I lose the difference. Thanks.
Once the ticket is cancelled (which, as you correctly note, must be done before the flight departs), the value of that ticket, less the change fee, can be applied to the value of a new ticket (even to a different destination). You would need to keep the ticket number so that AA can look it up and apply that value to the new ticket.

Mike
Old Sep 29, 06, 5:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by nako
Once the ticket is cancelled (which, as you correctly note, must be done before the flight departs), the value of that ticket, less the change fee, can be applied to the value of a new ticket (even to a different destination). You would need to keep the ticket number so that AA can look it up and apply that value to the new ticket.

Mike
I know that this has been said elsewhere, but it would be soooo nice if AA had an electronic funcs system like WN to hold the residual value (WN doesn't have any penalities AFAIK, so it's the full ticket value) online to be applied later, rather than having to remember ticket numbers. Just wishful thinking...

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 06, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Just wishful thinking...
Agreed.

Mike
Old Sep 29, 06, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
AA lets you cancel a paid itinerary before flying the first leg, and use the residual (after deducting a change fee) for the purchase of any other ticket, either then or in the future, within one year of the original ticketing.

I can't quite articulate what happens after you fly the first leg... but they more or less corral you into a similar itinerary with same inventory requirements, or a long and unpredictable time on hold while they are off at the rate desk. I can tell you that AA's handling of this is FAR MORE FAIR to the ticket purchaser than Delta's is. I have a pile of useless unused Delta return tickets to prove it.
Old Sep 29, 06, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
Thanks for the quick responses. Could you elaborate on the follow-up use of the "banked" fare funds? Can the residual value be applied to multiple future tickets spread over the next year-- not just a single future booking?
Old Sep 29, 06, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Yes, generally, if there is a residual to a residual they just issue and mail you a paper voucher that you usually mail back to them when you want to use it. It has an expiration date of a year, but I can't recall a year from which date.

Search this Thread