Cheapest way to Plat via Challenge

Old Sep 29, 06, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD (thanks to this board!!), UA, MA
Cheapest way to Plat via Challenge

Hi all.

I am going on a Plat challenge and yes, I am cheap so I want to do it the easiest, cheapest way possible. I made gold via a challenge last year, and with the mileage run I did (MKE-ORD-DFW-ATL-DFW-ORD-MKE) I made it with that one trip, flying full fare economy, and it only cost me $500.

That said, this time around I have to double my QPs for Plat - I can make that same trip again to net me 5602 QPs. Right now that route is $624, as best I can tell.

I have two weekends to play with. Nov 9 - 12 (I'll go anywhere domestically), and I HAVE to go to BOS Dec 30 - Jan 1 (or Dec 29 if it's cheaper).

I've messed around with it for days and can't keep my costs to under $1000. I know many of you do this a lot so if anyone has some extra time on their hands and wouldn't mind helping me out that would be great!! It's that 2nd leg - going to Boston - that's so expensive. I have to go there for my half brother's wedding on New Year's Eve.....

Forgot to add, I can fly out of MKE or ORD as I am right in the middle of them both....
TIA.....
Old Sep 29, 06, 11:15 am

Don't we have a mileage run forum for stuff like this?
Old Sep 29, 06, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Why only domestically? At that time of year, if you can find a 1 EQP/mile fare class to Europe, you'll probably be able to do it very cheaply...
Old Sep 29, 06, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
There's a new NYC-SEA $109 fare that will get you plat in 3 RTs if you plan it right. Comes out to about $450 after taxes for the three flights. Its up to you to figure out how to get to NYC or SEA
Old Sep 29, 06, 12:35 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Just a general comment - and not directed at you personally:

I just don't believe in the concept of multiple, consecutive challenges.

So there is no misunderstanding - I have no problem with someone doing a challenge once (I did it at CO years ago).

Having said that, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the challenge...
Old Sep 29, 06, 12:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Just a general comment - and not directed at you personally:

So there is no misunderstanding - I have no problem with someone doing a challenge once (I did it at CO years ago).

Having said that, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the challenge...
Supposedly AA was putting steps in place to prevent multiple, serial challenges. Apparently, some still slip through

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 06, 12:52 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by brp
Supposedly AA was putting steps in place to prevent multiple, serial challenges. Apparently, some still slip through

Cheers.
brp,

this is what I had been told as well. I honestly (cross my heart) have no problem with 1 challenge - I really do not. Yet multiple challenges are grossly unfair to people that go fly the 25K or 50K the hard way....
Old Sep 29, 06, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Indeed. Makes me wonder if the OP has actually signed up for a Plat Challenge or is just assuming they'll let him/her do so.

Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that if you can't maintain your Gold status, then you have no business initiating a Plat challenge. Not saying this is necessarily the case with the OP, but it is suspect.
Old Sep 29, 06, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by brp
... steps ...
And where's that petition coaxing/requesting HIS return?
Old Sep 29, 06, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Indeed. Makes me wonder if the OP has actually signed up for a Plat Challenge or is just assuming they'll let him/her do so.

Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that if you can't maintain your Gold status, then you have no business initiating a Plat challenge. Not saying this is necessarily the case with the OP, but it is suspect.
While I share the sentiments personally, unless and until AA implements the changed rules, good luck to the OP!
Old Sep 29, 06, 1:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by alien
And where's that petition coaxing/requesting HIS return?
I'm sorry...whose return are we talking about?

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, M+B Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Prem Elite, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I guess I may be in the minority, but it doesn't bother me at all. The way I see it is the people who get status via challenge either are going to become frequent flyers, or they aren't. If they become active and requall normally, then they deserve whatever benefits they can get. If they don't and only set foot on a few more flights each year, then all they have is a shiny gold or platinum card and not enough coupon upgrades to even move up front (unless they buy them). So they are likely not to affect us "real" elites at any significant level because they just don't fly that much. If AA wants to give them the card, no big deal.
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by nbevan
While I share the sentiments personally, unless and until AA implements the changed rules, good luck to the OP!

*Supposedly* AA did institute a new rule regarding serial challengers, if you challenge one year and succeed, you may not challenge the next year. As well as not being able to challenge to keep your status, but I believe that's always been a rule.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AAShel
I made gold via a challenge last year, and with the mileage run I did (MKE-ORD-DFW-ATL-DFW-ORD-MKE) I made it with that one trip, flying full fare economy, and it only cost me $500.
Wow... that blows my idea for a PLT challenge for less than $400 out of the water....

Wait, no it doesn't
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD (thanks to this board!!), UA, MA
I already re-qualified for gold on my own via regular flying. I was hoping to jump up to the next level via a challenge because I won't be able to do it the hard way....

As far as flying internationally, believe it or not but I have never been off the continent and I don't have a passport, and don't think I will be able to get one in time....so I am stuck with domestic.

Search this Thread