Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to Plat via Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAShel
I already re-qualified for gold on my own via regular flying. I was hoping to jump up to the next level via a challenge because I won't be able to do it the hard way....

As far as flying internationally, believe it or not but I have never been off the continent and I don't have a passport, and don't think I will be able to get one in time....so I am stuck with domestic.
Should have plenty of time to get a passport. There is an expedited procedure. Check out ORD-LHR in the first half of December.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
*Supposedly* AA did institute a new rule regarding serial challengers, if you challenge one year and succeed, you may not challenge the next year. As well as not being able to challenge to keep your status, but I believe that's always been a rule.
There is such a rule. You can't do the same challenge more often than once every two years. I think the OP is allowed to do this, because he did a Gold Challenge last year and is doing a Platinum Challenge this year.

A note about "serial" challenges, I work in the technology sector, and I've changed jobs several times during the past few years. This has caused my travel pattern to vary widely. To the best of my recollection, I've completed 2 or 3 Gold Challenges and 1 Platinum Challenge, always when my travel schedule changes because of a job change.

In no case have I failed to qualify "honestly" for the status that I earned via the challenge. At the same time, I've been able to avoid long periods of travelling frequently (every week or more) without status. From my perspective, the challenges are doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

(Now if there were only an EXP challenge, mutters the guy with 59 segments since 3/30. )
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM
Originally Posted by AAShel
I already re-qualified for gold on my own via regular flying....
So you're <25 EQP/EQM away from PLT but would rather do it for 10 EQP

Well I guess if the system let's you, more power to ya.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by plasticman
So you're <25 EQP/EQM away from PLT but would rather do it for 10 EQP

Well I guess if the system let's you, more power to ya.
My wife did that last year. She had no status because she wasn't a loon like the rest of us. She challenged to PLT, and then ended up earning real PLT later in the year. This way she got the 100% bonus earlier. And she'll be EXP this year (but I still can't get her to read FT, thank god).

While I am against the serial challenges, I fully support people doing it if the system lets them get away with it. Good luck to the OP.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
There is such a rule. You can't do the same challenge more often than once every two years. I think the OP is allowed to do this, because he did a Gold Challenge last year and is doing a Platinum Challenge this year.

A note about "serial" challenges, I work in the technology sector, and I've changed jobs several times during the past few years. This has caused my travel pattern to vary widely. To the best of my recollection, I've completed 2 or 3 Gold Challenges and 1 Platinum Challenge, always when my travel schedule changes because of a job change.

In no case have I failed to qualify "honestly" for the status that I earned via the challenge. At the same time, I've been able to avoid long periods of travelling frequently (every week or more) without status. From my perspective, the challenges are doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

(Now if there were only an EXP challenge, mutters the guy with 59 segments since 3/30. )
It's not people like yourself AA is looking to prevent. I'd say it's more of the people who challenge for the novelty aspect and probably fly 10k miles/year. Or the people who "collect" elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.