Wiki Posts
Search

More Miami / MIA- Sao Paulo GRU flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
Originally Posted by MAH4546
ANAC (Brazil's equivalent of DOT) denied AA's Miami-Recife application yesterday, so it isn't happening this summer.
But does this mean that CNF may have the chance to be "reinstated" since it's not a new route?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by timfucius
But does this mean that CNF may have the chance to be "reinstated" since it's not a new route?
No. American Airlines could fly to Recife or Belo Horizonte tomorrow, if they wanted to, but it would have to be with a stop in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo. AA has very few limits on adding a tag-on flight from Brazil. They have limited on adding non-stop flights from Miami.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:57 pm
Original Member

No. American Airlines could fly to Recife or Belo Horizonte tomorrow, if they wanted to, but it would have to be with a stop in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo. AA has very few limits on adding a tag-on flight from Brazil. They have limited on adding non-stop flights from Miami.
That's too bad. I was really hoping to see AA come back to CNF. Are there any outstanding applications by AA?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:16 am
Original Poster

That's too bad. I was really hoping to see AA come back to CNF. Are there any outstanding applications by AA?
You will see AA back at Belo Horizonte, but not until Brazil loosens up on their air treaty with the US. There was hope it would happen this year, but Varig's situation actually dampeded the hope.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:21 pm
Original Member

You will see AA back at Belo Horizonte, but not until Brazil loosens up on their air treaty with the US. There was hope it would happen this year, but Varig's situation actually dampeded the hope.
The "talk of the town" in Belo is that AA will be doing a re-evaluation of the route in Q1 2007. We'll have to wait and see...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

The "talk of the town" in Belo is that AA will be doing a re-evaluation of the route in Q1 2007. We'll have to wait and see...
The market exists, and I think AA knows that. The problem remains the Brazilian government won't give AA additional frequencies to fly more Brazil-USA flights. So AA can evaluate dozens of markets and still can't fly there, because Brazil won't approve it.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Good news...I spoke too soon. ANAC has delayed AA's Miami-Recife application, not denied, so there is still a shot that American Airlines will be flying to Recife this June.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
Where is all this info coming from?!?

There are many people in this thread speaking with a certain air of authority without actually listing their news/data sources. As such, I would take most of these "claims" with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure when Belo Horizonte and Recife became major players in the US/Brazil market, but the last I checked they weren't. Belo Horizonte...perhaps, as it is a secondary business center. But Recife??? I BEG TO DIFFER. It may even be possible that AA is considering it, but I would bet against them actually doing it when they're through with their market research and if they do go forward (hey, AA has done stupid things before), I would put money against it succeeding.

If we want to just name Brazilian cities to prove that we have atlases, cool, but if we're talking about money-making destinations for AA, then GRU, GIG...ummm...that's where I would stop. That's just my opinion and until one of you shows me where you are getting your contradictory data, then I'm sticking to my opinion.

PS: I would rank Recife even lower than SSA (Salvador, Bahia) on the list of potentials -- and even SSA I would consider a bad idea for AA... In case you're wondering why SSA...it is the gateway to most leisure travel of those "in the know" (i.e., the good Northeastern beaches frequented by locals and savvy tourists) -- the rest go to GIG anyway -- AND a big portion of Brazilians in the US are from Bahia. (...and this fact I got from the Brazilian consul in New York...an actual reference...hooray for me!)
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
If you looked through previous posts, you would find that MAH4546 is very reliable.

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
There are many people in this thread speaking with a certain air of authority without actually listing their news/data sources. As such, I would take most of these "claims" with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure when Belo Horizonte and Recife became major players in the US/Brazil market, but the last I checked they weren't. Belo Horizonte...perhaps, as it is a secondary business center. But Recife??? I BEG TO DIFFER. It may even be possible that AA is considering it, but I would bet against them actually doing it when they're through with their market research and if they do go forward (hey, AA has done stupid things before), I would put money against it succeeding.

If we want to just name Brazilian cities to prove that we have atlases, cool, but if we're talking about money-making destinations for AA, then GRU, GIG...ummm...that's where I would stop. That's just my opinion and until one of you shows me where you are getting your contradictory data, then I'm sticking to my opinion.

PS: I would rank Recife even lower than SSA (Salvador, Bahia) on the list of potentials -- and even SSA I would consider a bad idea for AA... In case you're wondering why SSA...it is the gateway to most leisure travel of those "in the know" (i.e., the good Northeastern beaches frequented by locals and savvy tourists) -- the rest go to GIG anyway -- AND a big portion of Brazilians in the US are from Bahia. (...and this fact I got from the Brazilian consul in New York...an actual reference...hooray for me!)
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:37 pm

If we want to just name Brazilian cities to prove that we have atlases, cool, but if we're talking about money-making destinations for AA, then GRU, GIG...ummm...that's where I would stop.
the imminent availability of 20 planes well suited to the task is what makes that stoppage argument, well, stop. we aren't talking potential widebody service to the northern Brazilian destinations, just 757-200's with a little extra range. Given the overall shortage of seats to/from Brazil, making a nonstop MIA flight or two a day as sole provider to these large secondary centers is likely to be a gold mine.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Feel free to think whatever you want. Fact remains that American Airlines has applied with Brazil's ANAC to fly non-stop between Miami and Recife. I'm pretty sure AA's route planning department knows a little more than you about where to fly in Brazil.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:22 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Please keep your wisdom coming MAH4546. We are many AA FF that value your input, and as was mentioned earlier you are mostly right on the money in your "predictions".
It is also correct (as mentioned by timfucius) that the talk of Belo Horizonte is the return of AA service via GRU sometime in 2007, so let's cross our fingers!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by AAEXP
Please keep your wisdom coming MAH4546. We are many AA FF that value your input, and as was mentioned earlier you are mostly right on the money in your "predictions".
It is also correct (as mentioned by timfucius) that the talk of Belo Horizonte is the return of AA service via GRU sometime in 2007, so let's cross our fingers!
I also value MAH4546's input very much. I read many of his posts on a.net. Thanks for always being so reliable.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed too (for a while now) for this to happen.
Let's also remember that PAX aren't AA's only source of revenue. There are tons of cargo going from the state of Minas Gerais (capital is Belo Horizonte) by truck to GRU since AA dropped the flight. We used to ship quite a volume with AA when they were in Belo as I could always guarantee pallet spaces first.

Last edited by timfucius; Dec 22, 2006 at 4:48 am Reason: bad grammar
Old Dec 24, 2006, 5:07 pm

(...and this fact I got from the Brazilian consul in New York...an actual reference...hooray for me!)
Out of curiosity who was the consul that said that?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Exclamation *Embarrassingly* ridiculous

MAH4546 has proven time and time and time again to be one of the most informed, astute and accurate posters here-- that's simply a fact. I can't even think of a member who has posted more reliable info-- consistently-- w/ such a notably high S/N ratio (myself excluded, of course.)

But by all means, continue the attack on such a proven, valuable FT asset-- par for the course. You'll get rid of all of us eventually-- I'm confident of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.