FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   TWA 757's Gone Next Year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/605707-twa-757s-gone-next-year.html)

SJCFlyerLG Sep 25, 2006 4:23 pm

TWA 757's Gone Next Year

I heard from a reliable-sounding FA that the TWA 757 leases are up next year, and they will be replaced by 767-200's that are parked in the desert right now. I'm not sure how many of the TWA birds are still in the flight, but this has to be a good thing.

socalterp Sep 25, 2006 4:31 pm

No, they will be replaced by MD80s, RJs or reduced frequencies.

JGR01 Sep 25, 2006 4:41 pm

The return of the ex-TWA 757s to the leasee at the end of their leases in 2007 and 2008 (there are 19 of them) has been discussed a bit here on FT (search did not locate it but I am search-challenged) and in a speach by Arpey here .

The Slave Ships are going to be leased to Delta and converted for their additional trans-pond service.

The re-activation of stored aircraft however has never been mentioned in this same topic.

These planes are a really DRAIN on AA coordination (and $$). They are different configuration of exits (requiring a unique saftey breifing video) and the galley carts are totally different. The ovens I think are also different ...

These birds tend to flock thru DFW .. (not ORD) and I agree with SolCal that the frequency will be reduced. The RJ option does not make sense on the ex-TWA 757 routes (DFW-LAS or DFW-SEA for example).

Old news... with a 'funny' twist! While we are at it maybe the twist should be to think Foker returns from the desert or MD11s!

SJCFlyerLG Sep 25, 2006 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
The return of the ex-TWA 757s to the leasee at the end of their leases in 2007 and 2008 (there are 19 of them) has been discussed a bit here on FT (search did not locate it but I am search-challenged) and in a speach by Arpey here .

The Slave Ships are going to be leased to Delta and converted for their additional trans-pond service.

The re-activation of stored aircraft however has never been mentioned in this same topic.

These planes are a really DRAIN on AA coordination (and $$). They are different configuration of exits (requiring a unique saftey breifing video) and the galley carts are totally different. The ovens I think are also different ...

These birds tend to flock thru DFW .. (not ORD) and I agree with SolCal that the frequency will be reduced. The RJ option does not make sense on the ex-TWA 757 routes (DFW-LAS or DFW-SEA for example).

Old news... with a 'funny' twist! While we are at it maybe the twist should be to think Foker returns from the desert or MD11s!

I tried search as well, but without fruition. I am hopeful that they might up some capacity at long last, which is likely, since the economy seems to be slowing. At least for the routes I have been flying, the load factor is pushing 100%. I am sure that they could use 767's on some of the popular leisure routes, plus reverting to them on transcons seems to make sense with today's loads. We can dream...

nako Sep 25, 2006 5:16 pm

A search for "757 lease" returned the thread in question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566199

Mike

gemac Sep 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I heard from a reliable-sounding FA that the TWA 757 leases are up next year, and they will be replaced by 767-200's that are parked in the desert right now. I'm not sure how many of the TWA birds are still in the flight, but this has to be a good thing.

More often than not, rumors that you hear from FAs will be wrong. At least this one was half right, much better than most. On something like this, the FAs won't really know anything before it is released publicly.

FWAAA Sep 25, 2006 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG

AA has sold (or scrapped) nearly all of the 13 767-200s that were parked in 2003 - and the remaining ones will not be returning to flight in AA livery. Trust me, I know. ;)

As others have pointed out, we discussed this a few months ago when the news was announced by AA - and again when everyone figured out that DL is their next lesee.

Latest word is that AA will add the winglets and overhaul the airframes for DL.

JGR01 Sep 25, 2006 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Latest word is that AA will add the winglets and overhaul the airframes for DL.

WOOHOOO .. more $$ from the AA Maintenance department!

Kinda surprised DL is contracting for winglet installs .. do they currently fly with them?

Overhaul? I understand (from the DL forum) that they interiors will be stripped and brought up to the DL 'standard' with Business Elite seats up front and the former Song seats/IFE elsewhere.

Gee, maybe AA will learn something about J seating!

I'll be watching e-Bay for the former TWA galley carts that are good only on the ex-TWA 757s!

dankyone Sep 25, 2006 9:36 pm

I wish...

WRCSolberg Sep 25, 2006 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
WOOHOOO .. more $$ from the AA Maintenance department!

Kinda surprised DL is contracting for winglet installs .. do they currently fly with them?

Overhaul? I understand (from the DL forum) that they interiors will be stripped and brought up to the DL 'standard' with Business Elite seats up front and the former Song seats/IFE elsewhere.

Gee, maybe AA will learn something about J seating!

I'll be watching e-Bay for the former TWA galley carts that are good only on the ex-TWA 757s!

The ironic thing is AA contracted DL to do a lot of the mechanical maintenance work on those ex-TW birds because nAAtive 757s have RRs and the TW birds and DL's as well have the Pratts.

N830MH Sep 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by dankyone
I wish...

Yeah, so what? :confused: What is exactly former TWA is still grounded for 5 years. I won't deal out there when TW will be lease to DL for around 2007 to get free up more new transatlantic to some European cities either BOS or JFK.

WRCSolberg Sep 26, 2006 5:07 am

I don't bother reading signatures. My fault. But yes, a little clarification would be nice.

gemac Sep 26, 2006 7:36 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
So what are you trying to say, in English, please?

We here on the AA forum are all used to member N830MH. Like with some of our foreign members for whom English is a second language, a little extra effort on our part may be required, but I have always found it to be worth the effort. N830MN's postings are interesting and informative, and I hope that he/she continues to post them.

oklAAhoma Sep 26, 2006 10:45 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I feel honored when Ft'ers bother to read the posts they are replying to.... :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced some members actually read their own posts.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...19#post6219319
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...06#post6192606

gemac Sep 26, 2006 11:10 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
There's a very fine line between being firm and polite, and coming off as a complete ***. Some individuals err on the side of the latter. Ridiculing and belittling someone isn't an effective way to teach someone, but YMMV.

^ ^ ^