Diverted AA54 (Sept 21) Still AT YHZ

Old Sep 25, 06, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Diverted AA54 (Sept 21) Still AT YHZ

The diverted aircraft from last Thursday night’s AA54 ORD-MAN is still on the ground at YHZ (Halifax). “Lost an engine”

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...path=News/News

A replacement aircraft was brought in and was boarding at an adjacent gate to mine at 9:15 Friday morning for Manchester. But returning last night from YYZ, I noticed the diverted aircraft still in Halifax parked near one of the hangers.
Old Sep 25, 06, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Isn't this like the second engine AA has lost recently? Have other airlines been having similar issues and I just haven't been reading hteir posts?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=engine
Old Sep 25, 06, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
In June at LAX a 767 engine caught fire while sitting at the gate with the engines running.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1059747&size=M

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...zbriefs14.html
Old Sep 25, 06, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
In June at LAX a 767 engine caught fire while sitting at the gate with the engines running.
Not exactly - it was sitting in front of the AA maintenance hangar, over a thousand feet from Terminal 4. Engine runups are not typically done at the gate.
Old Sep 25, 06, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA-plt
Reading through aa.com on their maintenance checks, it struck me that they do not replace or overhaul their engines at certain intervals, or # of hours. Instead they use a continous monitering system. I certainly do not doubt AA's engine maintenance, but I would have thought that engines are replaced based on cycles, or hours.
Old Sep 25, 06, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by loudgonzo
Reading through aa.com on their maintenance checks, it struck me that they do not replace or overhaul their engines at certain intervals, or # of hours. Instead they use a continous monitering system. I certainly do not doubt AA's engine maintenance, but I would have thought that engines are replaced based on cycles, or hours.
Since most jet engines run over $1M new, this is not always the least expensive option.
Old Sep 25, 06, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hilton-gold
Since most jet engines run over $1M new, this is not always the least expensive option.
I'm not positive, but I'd venture a guess that loudgonzo was using the word "replaced" in the "remove, rebuild and replace on the wing" sense and not in the "throw away and replace with OEM brand new engine" sense.

Originally Posted by loudgonzo
Continuous monitoring of the engines (as AA does) might indicate a need to rebuild an engine at a point earlier than a hypothetical hours or cycles guideline might indicate. Although it would be logical that AA should be able to figure out when that's very likely to be necessary based on its extensive experience (lotsa observations).
Old Sep 25, 06, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA-plt
[QUOTE=FWAAA]I'm not positive, but I'd venture a guess that loudgonzo was using the word "replaced" in the "remove, rebuild and replace on the wing" sense and not in the "throw away and replace with OEM brand new engine" sense.

Yes, I meant it as overhaul engine at certain intervals.

Search this Thread