TPA based AC/AA elite members - a call to battle!

Old Sep 23, 06, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
TPA based AC/AA elite members - a call to battle!

I wrote a letter to AC CS few weeks ago, begging for AA to go back and sign an agreement with the USAir club in terminal F so AC members and/or elites flying on international itn can use the club. The agreement was pulled after 9/11.

I specifically told the CS that I don't need a response, only that I would like my letter to be passed up to the appropriate decision makers.

Today I got a reply(?). The CSR thanked me for my input and informed me that the letter was filed with the Marketing folks, but the CSR also told me that if I could get more people to write, then the club issue may be looked at more favorably. I thought it was a nice gesture from the CS person.

so, any AC/elite member, based in the TPA area or any AC/elite member that would like to get the USAir club access back, PLEASE WRITE AA AC CS and tell them that club access would be greatly appreciated.

I see EXP and PLAT tags on many bags during boarding at TPA so I know that I'm not alone. Upgrades to DFW and ORD do not clear at 100 hours in most cases so another evidence of high spending customers and finally the flights are usually near or full......

Come on AA!!!
Old Sep 23, 06, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Will do as you suggest.
Added to that I happen know the Manager of the two MIA ACs and am hoping to have coffee with her in MIA when I pass through there either Weds or on the way back Thurs, so I will see can or is able to put in a word on our behalf.

mike
Old Sep 23, 06, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Out of curiosity, have there been similar agreements at other cities in the past? MCO is another one that comes to mind, but perhaps SEA is a candidate as well with the closure last year of the AC, and the large presence of AS.
Old Sep 23, 06, 7:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Out of curiosity, have there been similar agreements at other cities in the past? MCO is another one that comes to mind, but perhaps SEA is a candidate as well with the closure last year of the AC, and the large presence of AS.
I always thought the "rumors" or maybe "actual info" about the SEA AC was somewhat BS. If in fact SEA screwed AA and raised their rent beyond an acceptable level then why not make an agreement with AS to use their club?
Old Sep 23, 06, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
I just don't think this is a practical solution. There are other cities with no AC and no reciprocal agreements. What if US Air wanted to send their people to the AC in DFW or elsewhere? AA can't satisfy everyone.
Old Sep 23, 06, 7:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA53
I just don't think this is a practical solution. There are other cities with no AC and no reciprocal agreements. What if US Air wanted to send their people to the AC in DFW or elsewhere? AA can't satisfy everyone.
I don't believe anybody mentioned "reciprocal" agreements. We're talking about AA paying USAir/AS for every member using the clubs in TPA/SEA. AA use to pay US for the club use in TPA.
Old Sep 23, 06, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Out of curiosity, have there been similar agreements at other cities in the past?
at one point AA and US had complete reciprocity in club membership.

the agreement was terminated and AA has entered no others.

only the QF club reciprocity agreement remains in effect.
Old Sep 23, 06, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33

only the QF club reciprocity agreement remains in effect.
According to AC membership guide it's AerLingus, Qantas and British Airways(Gatwick only)....

http://www.aa.com/content/images/abo...rshipguide.pdf
Old Sep 23, 06, 8:54 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
this also needs to happen for IAH and PHX - absolutely ridiculous that these were ever closed.

5 years has been long enough......

Old Sep 23, 06, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andrzej
I don't believe anybody mentioned "reciprocal" agreements. We're talking about AA paying USAir/AS for every member using the clubs in TPA/SEA. AA use to pay US for the club use in TPA.
I am sure AA has done the analysis. There aren't enough travelers in TPA to justify it. Also few connections so no real need. If you travel enough or need the facilities, just join the US club. AA is bleeding in enough areas and I am sure this isn't economically feasible.

I joined UA Red Carpet as well as AC. It pays for itself.
Old Sep 23, 06, 10:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am sure AA has done the analysis. There aren't enough travelers in TPA to justify it. Also few connections so no real need. If you travel enough or need the facilities, just join the US club. AA is bleeding in enough areas and I am sure this isn't economically feasible.

I thought it was interesting that the CSR replied when specifically told that no reply is needed, and also giving suggestions as to how it could help the cause if I have other AC members/AA elites write in.....
Old Sep 23, 06, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
The solution for TPA flyers may be to cancel their AC memberships and purchase a QF club (aka "QP") membership instead, which grants access to QF, AA, US and BA clubs. It depends, though, on how strict the US club gatekeepers are at enforcing the rules, as technically one only is allowed access to the US clubs if they are traveling on US.

Next time I'm at TPA I'll give it a try.
Old Sep 23, 06, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, AS MVPG75, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I will send a letter, andrzej. I will make EXP in early December, and have had an AC membership since March 2004. Being able to use the US Club at airside F would be a big incentive to make AA my favored airline in 2007 over UA/Ted. Is there anyone to whom correspondence should be specifically directed?

I am sure AA has done the analysis. There aren't enough travelers in TPA to justify it....
You obviously have not flown any of AA's 22 daily flights out of Tampa lately (all AA, no AE RJs). With the exception of the 2 TPA-STL flights, they're usually packed. Even so, what andrzej suggests would not cost AA nearly as much as opening and maintaining a club. If, as you suggest, "there aren't enough travelers in TPA to justify it," it won't cost AA much at all, will it?

Besides, I am sure AA could strike a better deal with US now than it had before. When I fly US out of TPA, I use the club (with my UA RCC membership), and I have never seen it heavily utilized. US would probably be happy to get the extra revenue.
Old Sep 23, 06, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Frankly Id rather see AA put a small club in the C gates at LGA or work with TSA to create a C/D sterile area as it seems AA has more flights/seats daily going out of the C gates at LGA than TPA and my guess is LGA is a higher yield market. I find 50% of the time my gate is C and it doesnt make sense to go through the D security, go to the AC, back out of D and then through the C security.

If AA checks this board I would suggest that is a higher priority but Im sure either way they will have the numbers to figure it out.
Old Sep 23, 06, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz

I truly mean no offense AA53, but there always seems to be a notion that someone at AA must have already thought of and successfully analyzed everything, whether it's something like this, revenue management, gas prices, or whatever. The fact is, however, that if their analysis were truly so omniscient and spectacular, the airline would be printing money, not bleeding it.

That's not a knock on AA, rather just an assertion that it, like all other people and corporations, hasn't thought of everything, and isn't perfect.

Search this Thread