DFW-PVR-DFW: How Early To Get To Airports?

Old Aug 19, 06, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AAirpass
DFW-PVR-DFW: How Early To Get To Airports?

DFW-PVR & PVR-DFW this coming week. How early to get to each airport? Do we need to be there 3 hours early? When we get back to DFW approx how long until we are out the door. Need to book a car & be somewhere when we return. Not planning on buying anything in PVR. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 06, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
We do ORD/PVR at least once a year, sometimes twice, so I can't speak for DFW. It largely depends on the amount of incoming international flights and the number of windows open at Immigration. It's taken as long as 45 minutes from touchdown to out the front door at ORD although I have done it in less also. My opinion is where you need to be more concerned is arrival to PVR on your return flight back. They basically screen all bags by hand prior to you checking in and checking your bags, so the lines can be long and if you are on a full flight can take a while. It can be a zoo. In the past I've gotten away with a 2 hour arrival to PVR with only about 15 minutes to board after clearing check-in. I might add another hour this time around. If your traveling midweek it might help, but Saturdays and Sundays the PVR airport is busy.

Enjoy PVR, it is my annual escape to paradise! Just ignore the timeshare sharks who will promise you free transport to your hotel at the airport after you arrive in pvr.
Old Aug 19, 06, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AAirpass
Thanks - we are departing PVR on Friday particularly to avoid weekend departures & have arranged airport transport to/from our hotel so hopefully we will escape the time share sharks. Got roped in once many years ago & have managed to escape ever since. Going for some greatly needed & long overdue R&R and leaving the Treo at home!
Old Aug 19, 06, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
60-90 minutes should be more than enough time for an International departure at DFW.
Old Aug 19, 06, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
It depends on the time of day. Security took only 10 minutes on Thursday morning. The real delay is at check in at the counter. As a PLT you can access the premium lines for check in so I would say no more than 60 minutes.
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold Delta Silver Nexus
I am refreshing an old thread. My question is about the arrival time at PVR for a flight to DFW. I will be on an early AM flight but on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Is 3 hours neccessary? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15, 10, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, BAEC Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by cng545 View Post
I am refreshing an old thread. My question is about the arrival time at PVR for a flight to DFW. I will be on an early AM flight but on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Is 3 hours neccessary? Thanks in advance.
The queue for American can get long at times, however there is a lane for biz pax and elite. I have never had more than a couple folks in front of me and it has taken less than 20. There are usually 'security' personnel just before the check-in desk who ask security questions and rummage through baggage, which can hold things up.

I find it is best to get there a little early, say 2 hours, to get the boarding pass and check luggage. Free time can always be spent across the street via catwalk to grab a beer or snack...
Old Nov 15, 10, 7:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Originally Posted by cng545 View Post
i have done this a number of times at spring break and as long as you can access the elite line you are fine. if not, do not cut it close. even so I would give yourself no less than 1 hour 45 as that airport can be crazy in busy times.
Old Nov 15, 10, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
PVR or PVG?

I thought PVR was Providence, Rhode Island. No customs issues there.
Is there even a flight from DFW to PVG (Shanghai)?
Old Nov 15, 10, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer View Post
I thought PVR was Providence, Rhode Island. No customs issues there.
Is there even a flight from DFW to PVG (Shanghai)?
PVR is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: