Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best food at / in DFW for AA (and other) flyers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Have a two-hour or so layover starting bright and early tomorrow.

Any recommendation for a good, hearty breakfast to fuel me up for MRing in Terminal D or anywhere in DFW for that matter?

Unfortunately my usual standby of Cantina Laredo won't be up and serving 'ritas .....
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Not sure what time they are open but I always stop by Cousins BBQ if time permits.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Not sure what time they are open but I always stop by Cousins BBQ if time permits.

Thanks! Any recommendations on best breakfast foods?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by zipadee
Thanks! Any recommendations on best breakfast foods?
This may sound trite, but I stop in the AC for coffee, mini muffin, and an apple. Better than most everything in the airport, no lines, and (most importantly) free.

Before someone jumps over the "free" statement, yes, I do pay for the AC, but I'm paying for the shower access, the chairs, the wifi, all of those things. If you want to be really anal about it, I spend about $6 per visit (membership fee amortized), and that is really paying for the space, the shower, and the wifi. Discount those, and I paid maybe a dollar, given market rates for wifi at various airports. This doesn't even account for the F/J access, or free international access.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:02 pm

Wanted to report back. I discovered Cantina Laredo was open for breakfast so had that. But wish I hadn't.

They were unusually slow and the food wasn't that good. And the huge thing of refried beans on the plate with omlettes and potatoes was unappetizing looking at 8:30 in the morning.

Was surprised at how few food options there were at 8:30 last night at DFW.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Wanted to report back. I discovered Cantina Laredo was open for breakfast so had that. But wish I hadn't.

They were unusually slow and the food wasn't that good. And the huge thing of refried beans on the plate with omlettes and potatoes was unappetizing looking at 8:30 in the morning.

Was surprised at how few food options there were at 8:30 last night at DFW.
I made a huge mistake. In late 2007, my wife and I went to NRT via DFW. We ate breakfast right across from our gate in the mid D's. I cannot remember the name of the place; it's near the escalators for the Skylink and has the triangular-shaped open eating area across from D20 or so.

Clearly the food was memorable.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Have a two-hour or so layover starting bright and early tomorrow.

Any recommendation for a good, hearty breakfast to fuel me up for MRing in Terminal D or anywhere in DFW for that matter?

Unfortunately my usual standby of Cantina Laredo won't be up and serving 'ritas .....
The bar at the AC satisfies me pretty well at breakie time.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kabroui
Champps will also cook you a tasty rare cheeseburger.. not something you can find too often anymore
Based on this quote, I ate at Champps yesterday... ordered the burger medium.... it came well-done like all the other burgers restaurants cook these days. Oh well, at least no e Coli....

Then I got on the plane and they served a burger as one of the choices in F (other choice was Cobb Salad). The FA said it was the first time in 30 years she'd seen that. It was pretty funny watching the one FA up front working on "assembling" the burgers and getting the cheese to melt...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Avis CC, AMX Plat, SVO
Originally Posted by RachelG
Nobody has mentioned Camille's. It is a great place for a quick salad or sandwich. ...And, as a plus, the food is actually healthy.
That is my favorite stop at DFW! Regardless of which terminal I arrive or depart, I make a quick run over there for a Bankok Thai wrap! ^
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:31 pm

OK this is a silly question I know but hopefully I won't be crucified too much.

Is that an Admirals Club you can see from the elevator by Reata Grill and Cantina Laredo in Terminal D in DFW? It looks like a nice conference room with plush chairs. I've never seen anyone in the room. Just curious.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Is that an Admirals Club you can see from the elevator by Reata Grill and Cantina Laredo in Terminal D in DFW? It looks like a nice conference room with plush chairs. I've never seen anyone in the room. Just curious.
I believe it is an Airport (authority) conference room. The AC is farther down the concourse.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm connecting with my family through DFW on my food-less way to Central America, so I'm sure we'll need lunch (unless, I guess, we pack our own). Having some "Texan" food would be appealing, and I see Cousin's BBQ was just voted among the best airport food by Food & Wine magazine (as quoted by the WSJ). It also seems to have attracted a "fan club" in this thread.

I rarely use DFW -- is it very likely that I'll pass through Terminal D on my way? And is Cousin's easy to find?

And how are food prices at DFW? It seems like half the US airports these days charge "street prices" and the other half still sell expensive food.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), US Silver, PCR Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
DFW Terminal D AC

Originally Posted by dayone
I believe it is an Airport (authority) conference room. The AC is farther down the concourse.
The AC in Terminal D is by Gate 23 - next to the information desk. The AC is on the 3rd floor and set a little back from the terminal foyer with a view of the airfield - so you will not be able to see the AC from the foyer or the restaurants.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
No one's mentioned Cousin's BBQ?? It's not the absolutely best BBQ, but it's one of the better options IMO at DFW.
Yup.

Unless I am headed to SAT or AUS I will get my Texas BBQ fix at Cousin's.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), US Silver, PCR Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm connecting with my family through DFW on my food-less way to Central America, so I'm sure we'll need lunch (unless, I guess, we pack our own).

I rarely use DFW -- is it very likely that I'll pass through Terminal D on my way? And is Cousin's easy to find?

And how are food prices at DFW? It seems like half the US airports these days charge "street prices" and the other half still sell expensive food.

Thanks.
You most likely will take off from Terminal D. This past year, AA has made several gate changes for flights to Central and Latin America and they mostly leave from D now. Terminal D is very easy to navigate and set up as a semi-hexagon. Other than the main foyer with the gates, there is also a connecting passageway that cuts across between the two sides of the semi hexagon. Most restaurants open onto the foyer, but a few restaurants and most bookstores, artifact shops, etc. also open onto the passageway.

Cousin's is in the corner around Gate 29 - easy to locate. Also, a personal favorite - the PGA store in Terminal D is a good place to kill some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.