Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With the new toiletry prohibition, ACs & FLs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
With the new toiletry prohibition, ACs & FLs?

With the new 8/10 prohibition on liquids and gels, does anyone have any first-hand experience yet (or anecdotal knowledge from AC AAngels) about how AA might be beefing up the toiletries available in the showers at the AC/FL? I know CX has a nice range of items available for use as did the arrivals lounges in Europe. Just wondering if AA will beef up the selection to include lotion, deodorant, etc. since travelers will no longer have those items with them.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I was thinking the opposite when reading your post.. would they take everything away, not only from the AC but general airport restrooms? I mean, they wouldn't want me walking onboard with a pocket full of liquid soap, right?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I was thinking the opposite when reading your post.. would they take everything away, not only from the AC but general airport restrooms? I mean, they wouldn't want me walking onboard with a pocket full of liquid soap, right?
Well, since apparently we're being searched again at the gate, I bet they'd be OK with us walking around the terminal with it....

But as to the OP, I imagine that we wont see any changes to AC amenities until well into these new security procedures... it would be silly for the AC or FL to invest in more products for a short term change. And hopefully this is a short term change...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Certainly there wont be secondary security checks for every passenger on every domestic flight. This would mean (to me at least) that ACs, FLs (and all other airline lounges) will be forced to stop distributing shaving cream, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.. Which, in turn, will make freshening up after a redeye or in the middle of a multi-day mileage run near impossible without leaving the airport.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
If this restriction becomes permanent, betcha they'll start to have kits of toiletries for sale on the planes, rather than free anywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Virtually every airport I've been in has had toiletries available for sale airside. So even if AA does not beef up supplies in the ACs and FLs (which I don't see them doing), you can buy whatever you want and bring them in to the clubs. You also can try to sneak them on to the plane if you want to, just like all of the beverages that are sold airside.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
. This would mean (to me at least) that ACs, FLs (and all other airline lounges) will be forced to stop distributing shaving cream, deodorant, toothpaste, etc..
I suppose they would also have to remove all the self-service bars in international locations....or put anti-theft systems on every can of coke and bottle of water, booze, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Liquids/Gels will still be inside Security, so I doubt the AC will reduce or eliminate anything there.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Virtually every airport I've been in has had toiletries available for sale airside.
If these new rules are anything but very short term, I wouldn't expect this to be true for much longer... they're technically banned from flights, so why would anyone buy shaving cream airside in the time after security but before boarding a flight? The only people with legitimate reasons to buy it would be those that are going to use it right away.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by rbessler
If these new rules are anything but very short term, I wouldn't expect this to be true for much longer... they're technically banned from flights, so why would anyone buy shaving cream airside in the time after security but before boarding a flight? The only people with legitimate reasons to buy it would be those that are going to use it right away.
Exactly. So if you wanted to shower or freshen up in the AC, you could buy this stuff airside in order to do so.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbessler
I flew MSP-DFW today. Water, toothpaste, etc. are not banned from flights. They are banned from going through security. I easily purchased bottled water and other things airside.

I do think this is a hole in the security plan, technically, but the thought of transoceanic travel without a few of these items and personal IFE is a little daunting. Carried to its extreme, how could aircraft be catered with liquid items?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Allowed or you just didn't get caught?

From aa.com

"Effective immediately, no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted at the security checkpoints or in carry-on baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, perfumes and other items of similar consistency. This policy also includes liquid and gel products purchased as duty free. All liquid and gel items must be placed in checked baggage only."

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent

Since this is a security concern, if you show up at the gate with banned items how do they know they were not missed at the check points? So not really sure how they could allow anything on the plane even if bought after security.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by bbkenney
I flew MSP-DFW today. Water, toothpaste, etc. are not banned from flights.
This is not correct. They are banned from flights, and at least BOS now has National Guard doing secondary screening for these at the gates. I'm sure you of course *can* still get some onboard if you want to try, but it doesn't mean it's not banned.

See TSA, AA, DHS and others I'm sure.

Sami
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by deac83
Allowed or you just didn't get caught?

From aa.com

"Effective immediately, no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted at the security checkpoints or in carry-on baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, perfumes and other items of similar consistency. This policy also includes liquid and gel products purchased as duty free. All liquid and gel items must be placed in checked baggage only."

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent

Since this is a security concern, if you show up at the gate with banned items how do they know they were not missed at the check points? So not really sure how they could allow anything on the plane even if bought after security.

I was there. You weren't. Did I stutter?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sam123
This is not correct. They are banned from flights, and at least BOS now has National Guard doing secondary screening for these at the gates. I'm sure you of course *can* still get some onboard if you want to try, but it doesn't mean it's not banned.

See TSA, AA, DHS and others I'm sure.

Sami
Yes, it is correct. It may change tomorrow I suppose, but for now, it is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.