Search

UK airports - no cabin bags allowed - breaking news

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:33 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
UK airports - no cabin bags allowed - breaking news

BA has announced that no hand baggage will be allowed on ex-UK flights due to a terrorist plot "foiled" by the UK authorities. Presumably it will apply to all carriers including AA. Details on BBC and other news outlets.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:39 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
BA has announced that no hand baggage will be allowed on ex-UK flights due to a terrorist plot "foiled" by the UK authorities. Presumably it will apply to all carriers including AA. Details on BBC and other news outlets.
Do you have a link for that one? What a hassle this would be. Where are you supposed to put things like medication, glasses, etc that you can't check? Wherever will I store my bearer bonds? :-P
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:39 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The BA FT Board has more information.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:57 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
what a horrible, awful idea. i'm so glad that i'm in taiwan, where airport security is still like pre-9/11 and wonderfully stress-free - especially in TNN. :-)
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:05 am

Unbelievable

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home

Security level raised to critical ... "threat level means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

[/http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

Last edited by Always Travel Ready; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:31 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by aep
Where are you supposed to put things like medication, glasses, etc that you can't check?
This is on the front page of cnn.com right now... there are a few exceptions to the "no cabin bags" rule, such as medication and glasses, but those items need to be placed in clear plastic bags.

Thank goodness I'm a mostly-domestic traveler. I can't imagine being separated from my laptop for a transatlantic flight.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

d eleted

Last edited by FWAAA; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:58 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:36 am

Well, to all those people that bash IFE, this is one of those times to be thankful the 777s have it... no laptop, no ipod... nothing to even read? Transatlantic travel to the UK is going to be a nightmare.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
According to one of the AS board's insiders, expect increased security measures in the US tomorrow. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588509
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:45 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by rbessler
Well, to all those people that bash IFE, this is one of those times to be thankful the 777s have it... no laptop, no ipod... nothing to even read? Transatlantic travel to the UK is going to be a nightmare.

Off at Heathrow this AM for our flight back to US but we have just been told by AA here that no hand baggage, no carryon for all UK flights off to US.

Mrs. LACouple was told no ladies hand bag period, small wallet and prescriptions in baggie is OK on a case by case basis and that will be searched. Police state type of chaos going on at the moment. Wondering if the laptop will survive the cargo hold?

Cheers

LACouple
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by LACouple
Wondering if the laptop will survive the cargo hold?
It will likely survive, as a good samaritan baggage handler will probably do you the favor of not putting it in the hold to begin with.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Effing idiots. All of them.

Great news for photographers everywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All liquids have been banned from USA flights, according to newspapers

Chertoff has banned all liquids (including all beverges) from USA flights:

"Consistent with these higher threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating with federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on expanding the intensity of existing security requirements," Chertoff said.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane."

He said the changes take effect at 4 a.m. local time across the United States and will be undated as warranted.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081000128.html

This is insanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.