Complimentary Upgrades as a Platinum

Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:43 pm
Used to be 'martinnj99'
Original Poster

Complimentary Upgrades as a Platinum

Hey everyone.

This is my first post ever so bear with me if this was discussed before. I'm an AAdvantage Platinum member and, though I qualify every year for platinum status, it seems like I can never make EXP.

So, us plats have to use upgrade credits in order to upgrade, but is there a way, a strategy or any way you can convince the Admiral's club staff, or gate agents to give you complimentary upgrades? Have any of you been offered them before or somehow managed to get them? This is assuming you are not travelling on Y or B, in which case you always get comp upgrades.

And how about internationally? Any tips, tricks you have used before to get comp upgrades on AA metal?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ask. Sometimes it happens;usually not. Try a search here on "op-up" and/or "operational upgrade" and you'll get a lot of stories. Guarantees? Make EXP. That's about it.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Step 1 - Click on "Search"

Step 2 - Type in "complimentary upgrades" (EDIT - brp's suggestion of "operational upgrade" is spectacular.)

Step 3 - Hit ENTER or click on "Go"

Step 4 - Rinse, lather, repeat.

If you really want to be crazy, click on "Advanced Search" and choose to search in "American Airlines AAdvantage".
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Ask. Sometimes it happens;usually not. Try a search here on "op-up" and/or "operational upgrade" and you'll get a lot of stories. Guarantees? Make EXP. That's about it.

Cheers.
When you ask, be sure to tell them your uncle is Wilfredo Torres. Works every time.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
When you ask, be sure to tell them your uncle is Wilfredo Torres. Works every time.
"Uncle Wilfredo called ahead to check on this for me".

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I made Platinum first time...woohoo...thru the challenge of course, next year I will be gold, I do not expect free upgrades...just not standing in the Economy Check in line and TSA elite check in is good enough.......but if you really want free upgrades...just buy the EXP card...$10,000 and the status is yours...per year...
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
Beware of 'asking' for upgrades. One lesson I had to learn when I went from United to AA was that United takes asking about an upgrade as a request for a complimentary upgrade, where AA interprets it as a request to use e-upgrades.

Oh, and while I was doing about 50-50 out of Abq on United, I'm hitting about 5% on AA. I got one this weekend, but only because I volunteered to take a later flight (OT, should I have gotten other compensation?)
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I was plat (before becoming exp) I was op-uped on las-ord and las-dfw several times. These were all late sunday (early mon) red-eyes. I don't think too many "elites" travel on the red-eye. This also frees up some y seats for the nearly oversold status on these flights.
There are probably other "leisure" routes at unappealing times when op-up's may occur more often.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
"Uncle Wilfredo called ahead to check on this for me".

Cheers.
"I believe he called more than once."
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Southwest RR
Several times when boarding, I have heard the magic words, “we have a new seat for you”. Doesn’t happen often enough though.

As a new poster here, I have also wondered about getting complimentary upgrades. Any advice from you old-timers would be appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I was op-uped ONCE as an EXP (these were the good ole days when we had to use stickers) on MIA-TPA flight. WOW! was I impressed!

I wouldn't expect much and you will not be disappointed. It's especially true these days on domestic flights. Most front cabins are full by the time it's the Golds time to clear their upgrade requests, so hoping for a freebie is like hoping to hit the jackpot on the Mega Lotto. If I were you and really wanted the upgrade, request it and expect to use your stickers.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jupesAA
Several times when boarding, I have heard the magic words, “we have a new seat for you”. Doesn’t happen often enough though.

As a new poster here, I have also wondered about getting complimentary upgrades. Any advice from you old-timers would be appreciated.
See the post immediately above yours.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by jupesAA

You hear that when passengers clear the upgrade request list, but trust me, it's NOT free (about 99.99% of the time)
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've only ever been op-up'd twice flying AA (back a few years ago, I was PLT and all my flying was domestic). And it happened on two consecutive legs -- SJC-DFW and then DFW-FLL. Has never happened since. I think it's a combination of poor luck and tending to book bottom feeder (I) fares internationally.

Steve
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:37 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Once in 3 years

In 3 years of flying AA I have had exactly one Op-Up.

It was a thanksgiving turkey run home last year. ELP-DFW where the GA had already moved me ahead to make room and was looking for me when I got there (I fly this route a lot). Saved me all of one sticker but nice enough. Too bad DFW-BOS didn't have the same result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.