Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why EXP Check-in in Biz line at DFW Term D?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
Well, as a lowly PLAT, I've gone through that line without a problem...
Me too!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: aadvantage plt/2mm; Southwest A-pref'd; VA Gold; SPG PLT
Talking Check in at A, problem solved

The problem with Gate D is that it handles all of AA's international flights and on those you always have to check-in in person. They have to verify your passport, I-94, etc. There is no machine or non-person alternative. This means long lines.

I check in at gate A and then take the new Traam to gate D. Gate A almost never has a line. I used to use Gate B but that is Eagle (contracted) employees who can be confused easily about how to check in an international passenger.

I suggest checking in at First Class in A and avoid Gate D(isfunctional) alltogether.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trtfsr
I used to use Gate B but that is Eagle (contracted) employees who can be confused easily about how to check in an international passenger.

You've got to be kidding me!! Are you trying to say that at the largest hub in the AA/AE system, the check-in AAgents at Terminal B are CONTRACT AGENTS (a la HPN*)? That's un-freaking-believable! How low will AA stoop? And furthermore, does this mean that all Midwest cities that are AE service only are no longer staffed with genuine AE personnel? (I do seem to remember the uniform degradation around 01-02 from typical AA uniforms to short-sleeved button-up shirts, or polo shirts.)

* Yes, I know the agents at HPN are County employees, not workers from a private contrator, but my point of their not being AA/AE employees still stands.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
One of the reasons I like the concept of F / EXP / P / G going through their own line is that there's an assumption that such a traveller would be pretty savvy about using the line. Just like preboarding said group of passengers makes sense because either there just aren't a lot of us (true for first) or we SHOULD know how to get our luggage in the bins and butts in the buckets quickly (assumed for the others),

I have to admit that I do chuckle when folks in the premium line aren't prepared for the TSA. I know, I know, some of the F passengers are actually paying full fare (gasp!), but I guess I just assume that every one heading to the left is a FF. To me, if your time from getting to the table in front of the conveyor to picking up your bags is more than a minute, something is wrong.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
One of the reasons I like the concept of F / EXP / P / G going through their own line is that there's an assumption that such a traveller would be pretty savvy about using the line. Just like preboarding said group of passengers makes sense because either there just aren't a lot of us (true for first) or we SHOULD know how to get our luggage in the bins and butts in the buckets quickly (assumed for the others),

I have to admit that I do chuckle when folks in the premium line aren't prepared for the TSA. I know, I know, some of the F passengers are actually paying full fare (gasp!), but I guess I just assume that every one heading to the left is a FF. To me, if your time from getting to the table in front of the conveyor to picking up your bags is more than a minute, something is wrong.
While I agree with almost everything you have said, I would demur on the statement that F pax would be pretty savvy in the check-in line. In my experience, some of the least savvy, but most demanding passengers I have ever seen have been in front of me in the F line. It is not at all unusual to have one passenger tie up an agent for 20 minutes or more. Naturally, this seems to happen most when there is only 1 F agent, and the Y agents refuse to take the next person in the F line, stubbornly taking the next person in the Y line instead.

Naturally, I'm talking exceptions here, most pax in the F line are pretty efficient.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (4.4M), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Global Entry, Trusted Traveler
I use the First line in the D Terminal on occasion and have never been turned away. Not even a comment from the desk agent.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jimorr67
I use the First line in the D Terminal on occasion and have never been turned away. Not even a comment from the desk agent.
On the one occasion I needed to check in with an agent at the D terminal, I was asked by the agent "Traveling in first class today?" It happened that I was, but the tone of her question made me wonder if I would have been turned away if I had answered "no". I'll have to try it some day when I'm in coach... er, never mind... I'm hoping that day will never come.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
On the one occasion I needed to check in with an agent at the D terminal, I was asked by the agent "Traveling in first class today?" It happened that I was, but the tone of her question made me wonder if I would have been turned away if I had answered "no". I'll have to try it some day when I'm in coach... er, never mind... I'm hoping that day will never come.
They should be asking if you are traveling in International First Class today.

One line for International First and EXPs.

One line for Domestic First, Business, PLTs and GLDs.

That's how it should be.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I wonder if they make AAirpass go through the Business Class line since one of the published benefits is using First Class check-in.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
There is a woman is STL who will challenge people getting in the F check in line with those same words. Since she generally communicates by shrieking I make the reasonable assumption that she is not addressing me and I just ignore her.

I have never had any of the actual check in agents challenge my "right" to be in that line. And the last couple of times I've had to check in there, whoever was the next available agent took the next person from the F line.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PresRDC
They should be asking if you are traveling in International First Class today.

One line for International First and EXPs.

One line for Domestic First, Business, PLTs and GLDs.

That's how it should be.
Which would be greatly simplified if US airlines started doing what the rest of the world does, and always call the front cabin in 2-class aircraft Business.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
Which would be greatly simplified if US airlines started doing what the rest of the world does, and always call the front cabin in 2-class aircraft Business.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Amen!!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It would be great, but SAG would never allow that.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true. It really is an anathema in this day and age. The only other country I can think of where the F/Y distinction largely still exists is Saudi Arabia.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It would be great, but SAG would never allow that.
They have the three class flights between JFK and LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.