Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-way Award Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

One-way Award Travel?

I understand that there are no one-way awards. If I were to book an award flight RT but not fly the return, would the miles for the return be forever lost (if not re-booked within a year) or could I have them re-deposited into my account?
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
I understand that there are no one-way awards. If I were to book an award flight RT but not fly the return, would the miles for the return be forever lost (if not re-booked within a year) or could I have them re-deposited into my account?
No, once you use part of the itinerary, you can no longer get the miles refunded. From AA.com:

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated, and any such reinstated miles shall bear their original expiration date. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:05 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
I believe the award date could be changed for your return. I think it is based on the ticket(award) issue date and not the date of travel. Assume you booked an award today for Mid-Oct travel. Your 'un-used' return would have to be re-done by todays date (AND you would have to defer the date and NOT no-show for the flight).

If the seats (fare basis) were not available on your desired 'new' return date .. and it slipped past the 'must be used by date' yes the miles are bone byebye. This gets to be dicey with the Plan Ahead awards vs the Anytime awards (double) .. you might not have the miles left for the return...

Once the ticket is used (any segment - even the first of 10) the award becomes classed as used and the miles cannot be redeposited.

Not sure how this might really help you .. as your name will be on the ticket and no one else could use the return portion. Granted if you are going away to school for 9 months .. tho you would probably know the return date.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
or you could try and trade someone for some BA or CX miles, both of which allow for oneway awards on AA etc.....
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
there is another thread in this forum on your topic which has some creative ideas re thinking about your future possibilities when needing 1 way...it was on page 2 an hour ago...sorry i don't know how to give you the link....
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Leisuremiles

There are one way upgrades though if that helps.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
or you could try and trade someone for some BA or CX miles, both of which allow for oneway awards on AA etc.....
Are you sure about that (i.e., BA-issued one-way award tickets for AA-only itineraries) in relation to BA miles? [FWIW or not worth, a few years back BA told me that I couldn't use BA miles for a one-way award ticket that was only AA-operated (between the US and South America). And the rep said that AA did not allow for one-way awards on AA-only itineraries. Maybe a misinformed/misinforming BAgent?]
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you sure about that (i.e., BA-issued one-way award tickets for AA-only itineraries) in relation to BA miles? [FWIW or not worth, a few years back BA told me that I couldn't use BA miles for a one-way award ticket that was only AA-operated (between the US and South America). And the rep said that AA did not allow for one-way awards on AA-only itineraries. Maybe a misinformed/misinforming BAgent?]
I think that you are correct about that. BA does have one way awards but AA doesn't allow them for BA miles redemption on AA flights.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hmmm, my bad...didnt know about the AA/BA problem (since, of course, BA does not indicate this on ba.com!) I think Asiamiles does allow but who knows!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clacko
there is another thread in this forum on your topic which has some creative ideas re thinking about your future possibilities when needing 1 way...it was on page 2 an hour ago...sorry i don't know how to give you the link....
I know how. Here is the link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.