Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO FF
A serious question: I read the T&C, and it doesn't mention anything about eVIPs. Does anyone know if these "bought" EXPs come with eVIPs?
I think we have to assume yes-- until/unless the terms are updated otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'm guessing that excludes RTWs.
Good question.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Maybe the true \"suckers\" are those non-EXPs who don\'t do this program-- but then spend 10K on AA in the next 8 months..
Indeed.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may well be right, but I don't see anything to indicate that the way it is?
The rules say AA, Eagle, Connection and AA-Codeshares of partners is OK and excludes all others. So RTW is out.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:30 pm

Here's a can of worms:

California Gift Cert/Card law that makes it unlawful for such things to expire: California Civil Code Sections 1749.45-1749.6

You can check it out here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacode...5-1749.51.html
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The rules say AA, Eagle, Connection and AA-Codeshares of partners is OK and excludes all others. So RTW is out.
Where does it say that?

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Here's the relevant portion of the T&C as to what happens if you have a remaining balance

All travel purchased with the Card must be completed, and all funds in your Account must be used, by February 28, 2007. Any remaining balance of $350 or less in your Account after February 28, 2007, shall be refunded, less a $35 processing fee, in the form of a voucher. If the remaining balance in your Account as of February 28, 2007, is greater than $350, you may purchase a three-month extension for the greater of $50 or 5% of the outstanding account balance. Please note that even if you purchase an extension, your AAdvantage program elite status will still expire on February 28, 2007, and all travel purchased with the Card must be completed by May 31, 2007.
Does anyone remember the corresponding rule on the UA cards? I don't remember any extension thing, but I thought they would give you your remaining balance back (minus some outrageous fee like 25%) at the end. With the AA card, it seems that any balance remaining on May 28, 2007 is completely forfeited?

BTW I think they wrote the T&C's so that this is not considered a gift certificate or gift card.
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Are there not enough AA codeshares to make it around the world, or is there a different issue?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by emaij
Here's a can of worms:

California Gift Cert/Card law that makes it unlawful for such things to expire:
At least according to AA: The Card is not a gift card, is not transferable and is void if transferred or sold. All purchases on the Card must be made by and for you.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing that excludes RTWs.
I don't know. I had been thinking that it might make sense for someone purchasing any of the AONEx's or DONEx's that are >$10K to do so through this card and get EXP status before the trip. Though I don't think EXP gives you anything incremental if you are on an AONE -- if you are on a DONE, then you'd get F lounge access and possibly some VIPs to upgrade to F on AA (though probably better off saving these for Y-to-J upgrades).

And actually, you're probably better off NOT being EXP, since then you can at least earn upgrade stickers until you get to EXP.

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
removed -- incorrect

Last edited by Seat1A; Jul 27, 2006 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Maybe the true "suckers" are those non-EXPs who don't do this program-- but then spend 10K on AA in the next 8 months..
Not everyone can be a "big ......", like you, JonNYC.

I, personally, can't see myself dropping 10K in one lump on this from my own funds and not have it "sting", nor can I see me convincing my company to do the same.

What would have really been nice is if you're already a GLD or PLT, you could pay to upgrade to the next level for less. If I could become a limited EXP for $7,500, I'd do it.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
If I understand right, you can instantly get EXP with this card, and then if you can fly enough by the end of the year (with the card and otherwise) to maintain EXP, then you will maintain that after 2/28/07. Thus, this is just a way to jump start up, plus get the bonus miles and advantages of upgrades and all from the start.

Still expensive, but if one is going to spend more than that amount the rest of the year anyways, I don't see that there is really a "cost" for the service, and the advantage is reaching that level immediately.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does it say that?
In rule #1:

On your purchase of the Card, American will establish an account ("Account") in your name and shall credit to the Account an amount equal to the purchase price of the Card paid by you and received by American. When we receive the purchase price, American will issue within approximately 5 to 7 days a plastic payment card ("Card") in your name which may be presented as a form of payment for air transportation on flights published and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® or AmericanConnection® carriers or on flights published by American under its "AA" code but operated by one of our codeshare partner airlines. The Card may be used to pay the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. It may also be used to purchase ancillary services directly related to your own travel such as upgrades, excess baggage fees; pet fees; oxygen fees; or taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with booking through American Airlines Reservations and American Ticket Offices, AAdvantage® award travel redeemed by you; or an Admirals Club® membership or one-day pass for yourself. The Card cannot be used to purchase in-flight products, duty free goods, AAdvantage® miles or other products or services offered by American not listed above.
This is really geared toward those jumping ship from another airline who don't warrant an instant match (in AA's opinion) yet want to enjoy status from minute 1.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Are there not enough AA codeshares to make it around the world, or is there a different issue?
There are plenty of OW routes without AA codeshares.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't know. I had been thinking that it might make sense for someone purchasing any of the AONEx's or DONEx's that are >$10K to do so through this card and get EXP status before the trip. Though I don't think EXP gives you anything incremental if you are on an AONE -- if you are on a DONE, then you'd get F lounge access and possibly some VIPs to upgrade to F on AA (though probably better off saving these for Y-to-J upgrades).

And actually, you're probably better off NOT being EXP, since then you can at least earn upgrade stickers until you get to EXP.
3 advantages I could see on a DONEx and 1 for a AONEx - status mileage bonus, ability to upgrade, F lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.