Flight delayed by.....Starbucks!

Old Jul 23, 06, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Flight delayed by.....Starbucks!

I thought everyone on the board could use a good laugh. A few weeks ago, I was flying DFW-SEA in F. After a slight delay, they called for F boarding, then almost immediately came back on the PA to inform us that we couldn't board as we were waiting for a FA to arrive. About another 15 minutes go by and a FA comes hoofing up to the counter clutching her half-full frappicino from Starbucks, very agitated (gee, from too much caffeine?), and complaining to the gate agent as she stops. Whether she was on an arriving flight or just making her way to the airport for the day, that SB run obviously added to our delay. Now before any of you start, no, I wouldn't drink the coffee on board either. LOL

Of course, once passengers got on board, the FA's were all over the PA with that pleading/demanding "hurry up" tone, as if any delay would be due to the passengers taking so long to get their bags stowed. In all, we were about an hour late getting out of DFW, but luckily had a good tailwind going west, so not that bad of a delay getting into SEA.

Anyone want to take a guess about predeparture drinks?
Old Jul 23, 06, 1:16 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
well, let's see...sounds like another wonderful day at AA....

to that FA....
Old Jul 23, 06, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
That's not cool.
Old Jul 23, 06, 1:48 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
She could have been ontime, gotten her java, still been on time, then gotten in an accident, flat tire, etc?

whatever, as if none of you have EVER been late to anything.
Old Jul 23, 06, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
Whether she was on an arriving flight or just making her way to the airport for the day, that SB run obviously added to our delay.
You positive about that? Absolutely certain?

No chance at all that the FA refilled the cup with on-board coffee from their previous (late arriving) connecting flight, having acquired the cup earlier in the day somewhere else? No chance at all?

Yes, the FA probably was late due to the coffee purchase. But the evidence presented is rather scant, no? If you had seen the FA standing in line at *$, or if she'd said "Sorry I'm late but I just had to buy this coffee prior to this flight," then I could understand the certainty.
Old Jul 23, 06, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You positive about that? Absolutely certain?

No chance at all that the FA refilled the cup with on-board coffee from their previous (late arriving) connecting flight, having acquired the cup earlier in the day somewhere else? No chance at all?

Yes, the FA probably was late due to the coffee purchase. But the evidence presented is rather scant, no? If you had seen the FA standing in line at *$, or if she'd said "Sorry I'm late but I just had to buy this coffee prior to this flight," then I could understand the certainty.
Perhaps she might have filled a coffee cup with coffee from the other flight, but the OP said she was carrying a frappicino. Has AA started serving frappicino on its flights?
Old Jul 23, 06, 2:43 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by the phoenix
She could have been ontime, gotten her java, still been on time, then gotten in an accident, flat tire, etc?

whatever, as if none of you have EVER been late to anything.
yeah - right. i have to say, i am so sick and tired of all the excuses lately on this baord.

based on OP's description - I seriously doubt it happened as you describe above.
Old Jul 23, 06, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I experienced a similar delay last week, only it was DFW-LAX and the delay was due to a Wendy's run. I guess DFW needs to really get the lines moving at the food court...
Old Jul 23, 06, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm perhaps in the minority but knowing how AA schedules crews these days and knowing what kind of slop they serve in first class (let alone what they are giving the crews on the rare occasions they actually cater a crew meal), I'm not going to fault a flight attendant for trying to grab some caloric intake (and for some of us, Starbucks IS a meal - lots of the drinks are more milk than coffee) so she can keep powering through the day.

Given the lack of Starbucks on the way to DFW along most routes, its highly likely she grabbed it as she was either deplaning from one flight and heading to yours - or arrived at the airport and then grabbed it post security.
Old Jul 23, 06, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I'm with her

Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm perhaps in the minority but knowing how AA schedules crews these days and knowing what kind of slop they serve in first class (let alone what they are giving the crews on the rare occasions they actually cater a crew meal), I'm not going to fault a flight attendant for trying to grab some caloric intake (and for some of us, Starbucks IS a meal - lots of the drinks are more milk than coffee) so she can keep powering through the day.

Given the lack of Starbucks on the way to DFW along most routes, its highly likely she grabbed it as she was either deplaning from one flight and heading to yours - or arrived at the airport and then grabbed it post security.
I'm in that perhaps minority with techgirl; I'm very understanding of an F/A taking a moment to get some calories and caffeine in what is possibly a well-more-than-eight-hour day without any break sufficient to actually have a true meal.
Old Jul 23, 06, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I've occasionally been delayed by Starbucks. I'm usually a very punctual person, but there has been an occasion or two when I just needed that double tall latte before a meeting, and stopping to get one has caused me to be late (and thus inconvenienced others). So while it does seem inconsiderate if this FA delayed a plane of passengers, for certain things, such as a caffeine fix, I can understand if it happens on occasion.

(Of course all of this is easy to say in a discussion like this. I imagine that if I were one of the passengers, I'd be POed too.)
Old Jul 23, 06, 9:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...

If it was real coffee from a real coffee shop, I could accept this. However, given that it was substandard Starbucks swill, I'm not so forgiving

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 06, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
Sorry.. disagree with several (most?)... while I have been late for a few things in my time, being late for something at work when more than 2 or 3 people were expecting me is not something I can justify. I really wouldn't be able to justify increasing my late time by delaying further to stop for something like a cup of coffee.

I suppose it is possible that the FA did not stop.. that she carries around a Starbucks cup through her flights... that would seem unlikely. Bottom line, I would do my best at work to keep from inconveniencing my co-workers.. to inconvenience 100 customers would not be an option.
Old Jul 23, 06, 10:13 am
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver

Sorry, not legit from where I sit (waiting for a delayed flight). part of the deal is we all show up on time - they don't hold the flight for me if I really need a Starbucks before I get on my flight with no food service and I typically have to go on for additional work when I arrive at my destination so I am not sure our situations are all that different.

FA has the opp to arrive to work early to be sure there is enough time to purchase the needed Starbucks, newspaper, cosmetics etc. They get to jump the security line so they have all that added extra time as well. If they are coming from another flight then they may need to do without, or perhaps they could ask a coworker who may have more time to pick up the needed caffine. I will not even mention the times that I have seen FA's carrying goodies for their meal from F or B class to the Coach galley - try asking for a glass of water then and see what happens.

If we are to work as partners (as often is the underlying message here - as above) then we all need to do our part.
Old Jul 23, 06, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I still don't think we know all the facts. The FA who was called could have been on reserve and called in to replace the first FA that didn't show (which would explain the coffee - those folks sit around the airport for hours just waiting to be called for a flight).

FAs are logged into the system when they show up for the flight - and if she was actually reporting late, that would be noted as a late report. Its not like there is zero repercusion for her actions (right or wrong) if she truly showed up late just because she wanted coffee.

I agree that to the average passenger with NO knowledge of how crews are scheduled, it certainly seems like she just flippantly showed up late and caused a huge inconvenience for all the passengers on the plane. Knowledge of operations, however, would suggest that while the logic is good - the facts are probably not complete. For example, the OP implies that the hour delay was solely related to the FA being late. Of course its too late for any of us with access to look this up (since it happened "a few weeks ago") but I would suspect that it wasn't just the flight attendant that caused the delay - rather that this was just a perception issue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: