OT: Yum in the AA cockpit.

Old Jul 21, 06, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, BA Amex, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold
OT: Yum in the AA cockpit.

I was on an AA flight yesterday from LAS to DFW and was stunned when I looked forward towards the cockpit. The crew had clearly just nipped to burger king and decided to munch on it in the cockpit.

Am I crazy to find this highly irresponsible?? I know they have to eat but surely.........

I did actually manage to get a sneaky photo - http://www.bluelo.com/aa.JPG
Old Jul 21, 06, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Irresponsible? BK may not be the healthiest food , but hardly irresponsible to eat it methinks

Dave
Old Jul 21, 06, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Its not eating, its the place.

I mean to eat a meal from burger king with the drink in the cockpit and risk spilling something on the controls not to mention the grease he's going to get on everything.....
Old Jul 21, 06, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ducky22

I mean to eat a meal from burger king with the drink in the cockpit and risk spilling something on the controls not to mention the grease he's going to get on everything.....

You have got to be kidding.

Pilots drink coffee, soda, juice, water - all sorts of beverages while seated at the controls. On probably every commercial flight in the world.

The BK sodas would be safer than the typical airline cup, no? I've never seen an FA give a pilot a paper cup with a plastic lid and straw like the BK carryout cups.
Old Jul 21, 06, 10:56 pm
Suspended

You are joking , surely. As pointed out flight crew regularly eat n drink during a flight; what makes BK particularly bad?

Dave
Old Jul 21, 06, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

The fact that it is sitting on the controls?
Old Jul 22, 06, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are joking , surely. As pointed out flight crew regularly eat n drink during a flight; what makes BK particularly bad?
Dave, I share your sentiment regarding there being nothing wrong with BK per se, or pilots eating it, but isn't there a risk with both pilots eating food from the same source, re food poisoning? I know they have to eat different things, but I'm not sure how this is enforced with normal catering suppliers. But if, say, there was something dodgy in the fries, then both could fall ill inflight...
Old Jul 22, 06, 2:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhilH
Dave, I share your sentiment regarding there being nothing wrong with BK per se, or pilots eating it, but isn't there a risk with both pilots eating food from the same source, re food poisoning? I know they have to eat different things, but I'm not sure how this is enforced with normal catering suppliers. But if, say, there was something dodgy in the fries, then both could fall ill inflight...
There's no evidence that both did do so, the photo only seems to show one person having some fast food

Dave
Old Jul 22, 06, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Eating in the cockpit is no different then eating at your desk. Just about everyone eats at their desk once a week or more these days.
Old Jul 22, 06, 6:18 am

The fact that it is sitting on the controls?
Is this a wind-up? If you've ever seen a flightdeck after a busy day, the coffee/soda spills, food crumbs etc are no worse than your avg office.

As far as "controls" - hardly - the food appears to be sitting on the Capt's audio controls (and maybe the ADF - hardly critical for today's 767s). In any case, there is a duplicate set on the other side (F/Os).
Old Jul 22, 06, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
SPCCR
Old Jul 22, 06, 7:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Surely you jest-----believe it or not, pilots are actually humans.
Old Jul 22, 06, 8:02 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
Hey.... they've gotta eat. AA does provide crew meals to pilots during certain meal windows. Perhaps this particular crew wasn't going to get a meal....or didn't want the meal provided.

While there is always a risk for spillage in the cockpit (and it has happened), I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old Jul 22, 06, 9:02 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
They probably don't like airline food
Old Jul 22, 06, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
SPCCR
Yup. I'll just take an exemption to say one thing:

What a stupid thread.

That's all for now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: