FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   OT: Yum in the AA cockpit. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/581827-ot-yum-aa-cockpit.html)

ducky22 Jul 21, 2006 9:57 pm

OT: Yum in the AA cockpit.

I was on an AA flight yesterday from LAS to DFW and was stunned when I looked forward towards the cockpit. The crew had clearly just nipped to burger king and decided to munch on it in the cockpit.

Am I crazy to find this highly irresponsible?? I know they have to eat but surely.........

I did actually manage to get a sneaky photo - http://www.bluelo.com/aa.JPG

Dave Noble Jul 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Irresponsible? BK may not be the healthiest food , but hardly irresponsible to eat it methinks

Dave

ducky22 Jul 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Its not eating, its the place.

I mean to eat a meal from burger king with the drink in the cockpit and risk spilling something on the controls not to mention the grease he's going to get on everything.....

FWAAA Jul 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by ducky22

I mean to eat a meal from burger king with the drink in the cockpit and risk spilling something on the controls not to mention the grease he's going to get on everything.....

:rolleyes:

You have got to be kidding.

Pilots drink coffee, soda, juice, water - all sorts of beverages while seated at the controls. On probably every commercial flight in the world.

The BK sodas would be safer than the typical airline cup, no? I've never seen an FA give a pilot a paper cup with a plastic lid and straw like the BK carryout cups.

Dave Noble Jul 21, 2006 10:56 pm

You are joking , surely. As pointed out flight crew regularly eat n drink during a flight; what makes BK particularly bad?

Dave

ducky22 Jul 21, 2006 10:59 pm

The fact that it is sitting on the controls?

PhilH Jul 22, 2006 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are joking , surely. As pointed out flight crew regularly eat n drink during a flight; what makes BK particularly bad?

Dave, I share your sentiment regarding there being nothing wrong with BK per se, or pilots eating it, but isn't there a risk with both pilots eating food from the same source, re food poisoning? I know they have to eat different things, but I'm not sure how this is enforced with normal catering suppliers. But if, say, there was something dodgy in the fries, then both could fall ill inflight...

Dave Noble Jul 22, 2006 2:59 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
Dave, I share your sentiment regarding there being nothing wrong with BK per se, or pilots eating it, but isn't there a risk with both pilots eating food from the same source, re food poisoning? I know they have to eat different things, but I'm not sure how this is enforced with normal catering suppliers. But if, say, there was something dodgy in the fries, then both could fall ill inflight...

There's no evidence that both did do so, the photo only seems to show one person having some fast food

Dave

troyintn Jul 22, 2006 6:12 am

Eating in the cockpit is no different then eating at your desk. Just about everyone eats at their desk once a week or more these days.

CTPremEx Jul 22, 2006 6:18 am

The fact that it is sitting on the controls?

Is this a wind-up? If you've ever seen a flightdeck after a busy day, the coffee/soda spills, food crumbs etc are no worse than your avg office.

As far as "controls" - hardly - the food appears to be sitting on the Capt's audio controls (and maybe the ADF - hardly critical for today's 767s). In any case, there is a duplicate set on the other side (F/Os).

Blumie Jul 22, 2006 7:41 am

SPCCR

DENROC Jul 22, 2006 7:52 am

Surely you jest-----believe it or not, pilots are actually humans.

MJonTravel Jul 22, 2006 8:02 am

Hey.... they've gotta eat. AA does provide crew meals to pilots during certain meal windows. Perhaps this particular crew wasn't going to get a meal....or didn't want the meal provided.

While there is always a risk for spillage in the cockpit (and it has happened), I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

piyush Jul 22, 2006 9:02 am

They probably don't like airline food ;)

JonNYC Jul 22, 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
SPCCR

Yup. I'll just take an exemption to say one thing:

What a stupid thread.

That's all for now. :)