FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Any cert to upgrade domestic legs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/581423-any-cert-upgrade-domestic-legs.html)

donuteric Jul 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Any cert to upgrade domestic legs?

My mum is travelling by herself (DFW-LGA) on AA metal this coming month. I would of course like to have her sit in F and enjoy the flight. I have some 500-milers in my account, but I was told that those are non-transferrable. So I am wondering if these is any cert out there that can upgrade general member from a discounted Y to F (like one those CR-1s that UA has).

Thank you.

*Please note that I'm asking for an exchange here. If such cert exists, I'd post the request in CC.

clacko Jul 20, 2006 6:20 pm

i don't know about certs, but you can do domestic ug's w/ mi's....details on aa.com- aadvantage....

AA2070 Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Perhaps an EXP member would be willing to offer you something in trade for some eVIP certificates. These are one-way, systemwide upgrades, normally useful for international flights of up to three legs each, but will function just fine to upgrade a domestic flight. You will need two; one for each direction of travel.

mvoight Jul 21, 2006 4:23 am

Originally Posted by donuteric
My mum is travelling by herself (DFW-LGA) on AA metal this coming month. I would of course like to have her sit in F and enjoy the flight. I have some 500-milers in my account, but I was told that those are non-transferrable. So I am wondering if these is any cert out there that can upgrade general member from a discounted Y to F (like one those CR-1s that UA has).

Thank you.

*Please note that I'm asking for an exchange here. If such cert exists, I'd post the request in CC.

An upgrade mileage award for domestic travel on a discounted coach ticket is 15K per direction. I think I heard of offers of 30K for EVIPS, but that would only get you in one direction. So, at this point, if you want her in FC, then the 15K per direction award is the the way to go

plini Jul 21, 2006 11:13 am

Any good travel agent would have the domupg certificate. they are vld us50,puerto rico,USVI,Caribbean,Canada.Mexico,Central America. you can confirm the up grade 24 hours out

ijgordon Jul 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
An upgrade mileage award for domestic travel on a discounted coach ticket is 15K per direction. I think I heard of offers of 30K for EVIPS, but that would only get you in one direction. So, at this point, if you want her in FC, then the 15K per direction award is the the way to go

eVIPs are way to valuable for only 30K miles unless they're about to expire and the holder is desperate. I agree that absent the ability to get an upgrade from a travel agent, the 15K o/w AAdvantage mileage upgrade reward is the way to go. You can trasnfer SPG points in to AAdvantage, or there are other ways to launder them (albeit with meaningful value leakage). See http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

ricktoronto Jul 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by plini
Any good travel agent would have the domupg certificate. they are vld us50,puerto rico,USVI,Caribbean,Canada.Mexico,Central America. you can confirm the up grade 24 hours out

Really, the special domupg certificates at all travel agents. Keen! Another new AA innovation. And they are free of course, good on any flight. Super. If it was true.

To the OP just pay for a ticket for example a YUP fare. If she will resent being shoved in coach then don't buy coach on a faint hope of some upgrade later. Or use plini's magic travel agent.

FWAAA Jul 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Really, the special domupg certificates at all travel agents Keen. Another new AA innovation. And they are free of course, good on any flight. Super. If it was true.

To the OP just pay for a ticket for example a YUP fare. If she will resent being shoved in coach then don't buy coach on a faint hope of some upgrade later. Or use plini's magic travel agent.

:D

They're really no different from the grocery store discount coupons for the circus, no?

plini: Perhaps you missed the part of the OP where the OP said "discounted Y."

To the OP: No such upgrade instrument exists at AA. We don't get CR-1s here like you do at UA. Sorry.

plini Jul 21, 2006 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
:D

They're really no different from the grocery store discount coupons for the circus, no?

plini: Perhaps you missed the part of the OP where the OP said "discounted Y."

To the OP: No such upgrade instrument exists at AA. We don't get CR-1s here like you do at UA. Sorry.

AA53 Jul 21, 2006 9:17 pm

Upgrade will not happen on this route. Too many business travelers and elites buying full fare tickets.

mvoight Jul 22, 2006 10:03 am

Originally Posted by AA53
Upgrade will not happen on this route. Too many business travelers and elites buying full fare tickets.

Really? They sell all of the FC tickets on every flight in this pair, even on the weekend and during holiday or peak vacation periods?
If this is the case, maybe the fare is too low.

AA53 Jul 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Really? They sell all of the FC tickets on every flight in this pair, even on the weekend and during holiday or peak vacation periods?
If this is the case, maybe the fare is too low.

Pretty much on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday. It has nothing to do with vacationers. The fare is about $1100 for A or P YUP. I have flown this about 35 round trips each year for the last 5 years or so.